Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
poomahloo

getting back in to guitar

put my guitars away a few months ago and just got them back out. but while i have lots of motivation to play i can find anything i want to play. ive had a noodle with some stuff i used to play and even gone back to the music that first made me want to play guitar but i found only a small amount of inspiration.
so when your lacking a bit of inspiration what do you guys do?
poomahloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
Soldier Poet
Registered and Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by poomahloo
put my guitars away a few months ago and just got them back out. but while i have lots of motivation to play i can find anything i want to play. ive had a noodle with some stuff i used to play and even gone back to the music that first made me want to play guitar but i found only a small amount of inspiration.
so when your lacking a bit of inspiration what do you guys do?

When I lack inspiration, I put away my guitar!

Seriously though, I try to play stuff I usually don't. Or I just play a song I like on my computer and noodle along on guitar. Or I go crazy with effects.

Experimental/indie/postrock/triphop music, if you comment on my stuff, I comment on yours!
Soldier Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
Minimallamb

I try to listen around to loads of bands and sometimes you get lucky and find a really good one with songs that you'd like to learn. That's what happened when I listened to The Black Keys, every song make me want to play guitar (:
Minimallamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Listen to more music. Listen to genres you normally wouldn't listen to. Is there a band you don't like? Listen to them. Instead of listening to the regular recordings of your favourite songs, hunt down some live recordings or early demos or a cover of the song by a different band. Go to some local shows and see some unsigned acts. They might suck but they'll probably have at least one good idea that you can steal can point you in a new direction. Tune your guitar in a way you wouldn't normally use, bash out some random chords. Watch TV and try to work out whatever random tunes you hear on an advert or programme.

Most importantly, don't think in terms of "what song do I learn now?", because all that leads to is more of the same; getting bored, putting the guitar down, picking it up again later and staring blankly at tabs again. You're not learning how to play, you're not progressing and ultimately you won't be having fun. The key to fun with music is to put the tabs down, stop just thinking about guitar playing as learning other peoples' songs, listen to everything you can get your hands on and copy stuff by ear, or just play random stuff and see what sounds good.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:32 AM   #5
dannyalcatraz

Find a new tuning and relearn some song or songs you already know. Change your effects, amp and guitar settings.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poomahloo
put my guitars away a few months ago and just got them back out. but while i have lots of motivation to play i can find anything i want to play.

This seems like an oxymoron.

I'm of the opinion that if you're not playing, you're not playing - playing should happen naturally. You can't force yourself to play, or you're doing it completely wrong. When you really want to play, you will.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 POD HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

I find that you have to pick stuff that you want to learn, whether it be a song, technique, style or whatever. if you don't want to learn it, it just won't happen. additionally, its good to pick various types of things, in the sense of long and short term goals, so that you can have "mini-victories", like learning a lick or part of a song, and major victories, like learning a new technique or a really tough song.

as mentioned above, the more guitar you listen to, the more ideas you'll get. its also really beneficial to play with other people, so that you can be motivated to improve together.
krehzeekid is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: