Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #21
Darkdevil725
UG Freak

I might have to get a case from him one of these days.

My site for helping those with a low budget find good gear.
Best Budget Guitarist
Also my bad youtube channel.
Guess That Riff
Darkdevil725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #22
logicbdj

A guitar strap to match.
Attached Images

logicbdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #23
logicbdj

The inlays are in (dragon fly in the 12th position):
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #24
loudSignal
Banned

He looks like a black albino now.
loudSignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #25
logicbdj

Well, the paint is actually a touch darker than his actual skin pigmentation was. If he looks like a Black albino, what did he look like when alive... White? lol. Also, the paint is a bronze paint... to give it a 'statue-like' appearance, as opposed to being painted with flesh tones.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #26
logicbdj

Some people don't 'get' the guitar and its concept. I'm developing a review/article on it, and this is part of the introduction:

Some viewers may find this axe and its accessories a bit garish or ostentatious, and that is true; however, there is a method to the guitar’s madness. This project was meant to be more than a standard looking Strat with certain 60s specs, only to be called a Hendrix tribute (enough of those floating around). Rather, the idea was to take it to the extremes, just like Big Daddy Ross’s Rat Fink dragsters, the painted buses at Woodstock, Jimi’s ‘pimped out’ clothing, or the psychedelic and eye-numbing artwork on Axis: Bold as Love.

Every part of the guitar has something about Jimi, from the Star Spangled Banner strap locks to the embedded pick in the headstock; and the package was coordinated further with a leather strap and hardshell case that did not attempt to re-create what already existed among Hendrix memorabilia, but to compliment a new creation as myself and other artisans visualized the project.

And least we not forget, as we Keep on Truckin’ Mr. Crumb, just how colourful and sometimes outlandish the 60s were... its style and presentation far different than what it is today, as we now tend to be more at home with the sleek and modern space-age-looking concepts that slowly are burying the legacy of the Age of Aquarius. No, this guitar is not meant to reflect the tastes of today, of flame-topped maple and ‘active’ pickups, but represents the 60s in concept and form that would have been celebrated along with the hand-made clothes, beaded necklaces and analog recordings that nearly seem as much in the past and ‘illusionary’ to the younger generation as the Roaring 20s, the Great Depression, and Leave it to Beaver.

Few people, musicians or not, deserve an ever-lasting legacy, and the Voodoo Child tribute guitar is but a small contribution to reminding people the importance and influence that Jimi Hendrix had on the world, an unfortunate realization that existed only after his untimely demise.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #27
logicbdj

The neck layout changed, so that 'Hendrix' flowed in the same direction as the rest of the guitar (horizontal).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg neck.jpg (34.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Dragonfly.jpg (44.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg HX Peghead1.jpg (27.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #28
logicbdj

the guitar put together, sans pickguard and electronics...
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #29
loveisonthedole

Dunno how I feel about this. I can appreciate the work but do you just have money to burn?

I'm already bored of looking at it, it's too busy. Something simpler might have been better.

What do you ultimately want for this guitar? Are you going to use it or would you like to see it hanging up at the experience in Seattle some day?
loveisonthedole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #30
logicbdj

My income is none of your business... it is being built for me, according to my specs (not to be sold to anyone), as clearly explained in the first post of this thread... perhaps a plain looking strat is more exciting for your eyes... your boredom is not my concern as it is a tribute guitar that I'm looking forward to owning. You bore me. Good day!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #31
loveisonthedole

haha okay. just throwing in my two cents. you must have known this is gonna be a love it or hate it project so no need to get so tetchy when you've put it in the public domain. You clearly care about other peoples opinions or you'd have never posted it on here in the first place. I think my boredom DOES concern you which explains your tetchy response.

you're right your income is none of my business. I was just trying to understand why someone would commission something so decadent and gaudy. I guess it matches Hendrix's onstage persona though and it's very unique.

I don't think plain looking strats are very exciting.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #32
sstony

Haters gonna hate, dude I think you did a great job on that guitar, thanks for sharing.
sstony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #33
logicbdj

No need to get touchy... I was kidding right back! And yes... gaudy just like the 60s, including Hendrix's clothes and the Woodstock painted buses. Best wishes.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #34
loveisonthedole

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbdj
No need to get touchy... I was kidding right back! And yes... gaudy just like the 60s, including Hendrix's clothes and the Woodstock painted buses. Best wishes.

I'm sorry man. I am quite touchy.

It's a grower, I do like it all, I just don't dig the head. But it's not my guitar. Look forward to seeing it with the electronics and hearing about how it plays!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #35
logicbdj

With the guitar put together, the luthier forwarded me this YouTube video:

Old 05-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #36
Joeval
UG's only Geologist

It's a love it or hate it guitar... I must say, I love it. Very cool, must have taken a lot of skill to pull off.
I'd be afraid to play it, in case it got damaged!

Can't say I was too impressed on the video, although I think that was more to do with the amp/effects than the playing or the guitar.

Awesome guy right here
Joeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #37
Viban
UG's resident bum

I would put actual padlocks on the case...
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #38
logicbdj

The video simply was the luthier hammering out a few riffs, etc., after it was set up.

The whole concept of this guitar is the melding of man and guitar. When Jimi played it almost seemed organic (not orgasmic, lol)... in that the guitar was a mere extension of his ability... like there wasn't any effort in the process, but a flow. And that is why his image is on the guitar, along with his, uh, dragon-fly... the man merged into the guitar as one.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #39
logicbdj

Close-up of the neck...
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #40
logicbdj

The 'star bangled banner' strap locks...
Attached Images

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: