Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #61
logicbdj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe
Some very cool stuff, but overall a bit too much for me. I'd have liked to have seen it just carved wood with a finish, kind of like the first pic before paint, but embellished a bit with stains. To each his own though.

You can't get a 60s vibe without the colors of the era... it's like the Woodstock bus done in shades of grey.
logicbdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #62
logicbdj

The review for those interested... and I'd be happy to answer questions on the contruction and quality of the build.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi...itar/index.html
Old 10-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #63
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbdj
I'm not hurt, which is another stupid comment. Nor do I care who likes it. A build thread is about the work involved in that build and what is being created based on that work. When a guitar is made from scratch, and I'm talking about even the neck is carved from a piece of rectangular wood, then that is what needs to be objectified and observed and not "I don't like it." Who cares what you like when it comes to appearances, since that is so darn subjective. Heck, half the negative comments comes from guys playing basic looking Strats or some other guitar, most of which likely costs $500 or less from a factory overseas.

You're right; a build thread is about the work involved and the creation that comes from it... But this isn't a build thread, this is a 'check out this guitar' thread. Show some pictures of the build process and maybe we can comment on how superb the building techniques are.

From where I sit I see another Hendrix strat, with a likeness that looks about as much like him as I do. I understand you like it, and I'm very happy for you. From what you say about the luthier I have no doubt that it plays very well, and that you will be very happy with it... But that doesn't mean I can't comment on the aesthetics of it. You admitted its an 'over the top' design, and those tend to polarize people to either love it or hate it. If I were you I'd consider that a great thing. Most artists will say 'I don't care how you react, I just want you to react.' I think this certainly fits that bill.

It's the internet man; don't be so defensive.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Last edited by tubetime86 : 10-05-2012 at 02:21 PM.
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #64
logicbdj

The luthier did not send me photos of this build, but I asked for them on the most current (JEM) project. I'm not defensive; I enjoy creating things enough that I would prefer discussing the process and that is why I have offered discussions on that particular aspect. It matters NOT that anyone like its looks or hates its looks. It's like me saying your guitar is ugly. Who cares if I think it's ugly? Whatever.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #65
Roc8995

You're one of the most defensive people we've had on here. Every time someone posts an opinion that's anything other than complete agreement, you post back explaining why your aesthetic choice was correct and often mention that we should stop discussing our personal preferences.

This is a discussion website, and asking people not to comment on whether they like the work aesthetically or not is a bit ridiculous. It's fine that you don't care, but please don't tell people to stop voicing their opinions. You certainly voice yours.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #66
logicbdj

Here's the thing... when someone posts on a thread I create, then I get an email... which makes me think that someone wants to discuss the instrument... sound, feel, any part of the work involved. Instead I get this. It's not defensive... it's called respecting the poster, and if I'm requesting feedback or discussions on the build, and it goes ignored (and it's filled with posts of how I'm defensive), then that is simply rude to say the least. The thread was never made on whether people liked the looks or not, and I even went on record as stating such. As a moderator you should respect that as well, but you chose not to. I don't get it. And I think your guitar is ugly.... duh!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #67
Roc8995

Look, it's not our job to make sure that your inbox is only filled with rainbows and sunshine. This is a discussion forum and I can't fathom why you think that it's reasonable to ask that users not discuss things that you post.

As a moderator, I respect that our users have varied interests and opinions, and I realize that posting a thread does not mean that you get to dictate what sort of discussion goes on in it. You posted a guitar; we're talking about that guitar. If you have a problem with the inherent community-driven dialogue of this forum you should start a blog instead.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #68
logicbdj

All I'm doing is ASKING that people restrict their comments to the instrument build and the end results of that build... that is not being defensive... that is what I'm interested in discussing in MY thread! Why is this so difficult to understand? Delete the thread if it urks you so much and if people can't grasp such a simple concept.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #69
Roc8995

How are the aesthetics not part of the build and end results of the build?

Also, it's not "your" thread in the sense that you own or run it. That's not how discussion communities work. You post, the community discusses. You can post content, but that does not mean you get to decide how people should respond to it. You can ask that people only discuss one thing but there's no reason to expect them to listen if they want to deal with a different aspect. Community-based content is predicated on the idea that we shouldn't let one source dictate what is said.

Rate This Thread: