Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-15-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
Ian Paul Gint
UG Team

UG future site updates discussion

Hello everybody!

It's been some time since we made actual improvements to the site and now we finally feel like we're up to it again. We've gathered a whole lot of requests, complaints and suggestions from our users (many thanks to everyone who wrote us!), thought them over and picked the most popular ones. Most of these new, projected feats are basically common sense improvements, like search options, however some of them do come from our specific user's requests (customizing tab view).
Following features are now being considered to the site:

1. Alphabetical listing of songs under the page numbers on the artist's page

Most requested feature, helps you find the right song without browsing through all the pages A to Z. Since some artists may have up to several thousand tabs, searching for a particular song tablature is at times difficult, so we decided to make it a little easier for everyone.
E.g., if you are looking for “Harvester of Sorrow” by Metallica on the artist's page http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/metallica_tabs.htm, you'll just have to put the cursor on the page number and the pop-up box will indicate the first letter of the first and the last tab on that page (pg 8, G-I).

2. Browsing tabs by genres and difficulty

Another popular feat, designed to give our users an opportunity for prompt search. You will be able to jump to the list of “hard rock” or “thrash metal” tabs right from the main page, same for the difficulty level. These criteria should be applied by our users, so please don't be surprised after not finding Metallica in “surf rock”, even if it seems indisputable to you.

3. Songs search box on the artist's page

Again, designed for easier and faster search of the exact tab. If you know the exact song you are looking for, you'll just have to type its name in the search box and pick the song the drop-down list (similar to the main page).

4. Customize tab viewing options (font, size, color, bgrd)

Well, standard fonts and colors may be boring. With this option, you'll be able to customize view parameters to make the tab look exactly the way you want it to.

5. Search in favorites

Many users have hundreds of tabs in their Favorites and browsing through them sometimes is like a pain in the a**. Most probably it would be another search box, however, if you have another better idea, share it with us.

That's how the list looks like for the moment, it's not final, the feats above are yet to be tested and improved. It may take up to several months to introduce and make them work properly for you.
Now the ball is on your side. Please, leave your opinion/comment on these new feats below. Let's make ultimate-guitar.com better together!
Ian Paul Gint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
iSlash
Slash the Duck

You should expand on the first point. For example, as well as sorting by name, you should be able to sort your search/a band by views or highest rating. Basically, better sorting and filtering systems on tab searches.

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
iSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

the only one that I would really like is the first one.
so work on that first I guess.

show
jthm_guitarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

All would be useful to some, not to others.

As you're finally making improvements to the site, how about actually responding to these threads:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1487499
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1481017
There are so many questions about equipment/software that there is nowhere to provide reviews of this is a desparately needed improvement.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
StonedColdCrazy
Banned

Edit function in columns. That is all.
StonedColdCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
AeroRocker
I'm too old for this ****

1 or 3 seem to be the most helpful. If you do 3, there really isn't a need to do 1.
██████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
AeroRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
Amuro Jay

Two suggestions:

1. Display avatars in the columns. I know this sounds arbitrary, irrelevant, and unimportant, but I think the lack of avatar display on the columns creates a heightened sense of anonymity that makes users less careful of what they say and more prone to breaking rules in the columns. It also creates a sense of dissociation from the forums, so a lot of people feel like the same rules don't apply

2. Mobile skin for the forums (if that's possible under this version of vbulletin). If not, at least mobile support for the profiles messaging system. I get a lot of PMs that I can't respond to because the current profile PM system is incompatible with most smartphones/tablets
Originally Posted by K'Nuckles
Butts are where you keep sin. Buttsex would be like ploughing pure sin.
Amuro Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
killyerscene

I certainly agree with point 1, but I also think 'News Archive' needs to be accessed directly, without having to search for something.
If i havent been on UG news in a few days and just wanna catch up, i almost literally can't go beyond the days top story without searching directly for something.
killyerscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
Wolfinator-x
Teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
1. Display avatars in the columns. I know this sounds arbitrary, irrelevant, and unimportant, but I think the lack of avatar display on the columns creates a heightened sense of anonymity that makes users less careful of what they say and more prone to breaking rules in the columns. It also creates a sense of dissociation from the forums, so a lot of people feel like the same rules don't apply
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedColdCrazy
Edit function in columns. That is all.
Yes, I agree.

As for me, I'm compelled to believe that some would like to remove a tab they made without having to bother any admins or mods.
Stray Cats, Gustav Holst

Mah Youtube vids.
if you truly loved me, you'd watch them (psst; it's not just glam stuff)

Mah Soundcloud

Last edited by Wolfinator-x : 03-15-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Wolfinator-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
Braylon G.
They call me BDB

I'm more into tweaking the iPad app. It really aggravates me that I have to pay to see tabs there, so if I want to look at tabs on the go, I have to use my iPod, which is really tedious. I mean, I paid for the app so I want free tabs like I can get everywhere else. So lay off on the subscriptions for something you said we'd never have to pay for.

I get a little depressed when I see vintage guitars in glass cases in restaurants. They’re like little tombs, you know?
Braylon G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
Wolfinator-x
Teeth

Spoiler tags!

Also, I feel that a "Collective Ban" button should be added to posts. For example, we receive yet another Kelly attack in the Pit. If, say five people press the Collective Ban button of the offensive post, the user is automatically banned. Clicking on this button for a non-bannable offense however (like if you disagree with what a user says) would get you a warning after the action is repeated several times.

New users wouldn't have this option, because some people, like Kelly, would easily take advantage of having several different accounts just to ban people.

I fear that this may only work on paper (err, keyboards?) though.
Stray Cats, Gustav Holst

Mah Youtube vids.
if you truly loved me, you'd watch them (psst; it's not just glam stuff)

Mah Soundcloud
Wolfinator-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
corrda00
Unregistered User

Last one is pointless. First one is great.
The rest are good too.

Also a like/dislike button in the forums would be great. Since you already have it in the news and colums.

My Compositions:
Roots (Prog Metal)
New Tuning (Prog Metal)
Sexy Riff (Pop Rock)
corrda00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinator-x
Spoiler tags!

Also, I feel that a "Collective Ban" button should be added to posts. For example, we receive yet another Kelly attack in the Pit. If, say five people press the Collective Ban button of the offensive post, the user is automatically banned. Clicking on this button for a non-bannable offense however (like if you disagree with what a user says) would get you a warning after the action is repeated several times.

New users wouldn't have this option, because some people, like Kelly, would easily take advantage of having several different accounts just to ban people.

I fear that this may only work on paper (err, keyboards?) though.
That would be totally abused.
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #14
vppark2

maybe get a notification when someone responds to you. also i feel like there should be a section where you can get help or show videos of playing guitar. say i need to work on my strum pattern, then theyd show me how to get better at strumming. like a section for beginners i guess. i havent had much experience yet playing guitar, so that would be neat. like playing in a drop tuning as well, explaining how to and how it works (i still dont know how even with a tuner). i can play drop d and drop b, but i have no idea how to do anything else.
vppark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #15
Z0S07657
Algorjira

I think a helpful thing would be to be able to select what page of a thread you want to go to. A good way to do this would be to be able to click a box with the page numbers on there and a go button. I would just like a go button because I like to click on a link with the scroll wheel to create a new tab and look at it later when I'm done with the page that I'm on.
Z0S07657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
AeroRocker
I'm too old for this ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
2. Mobile skin for the forums (if that's possible under this version of vbulletin). If not, at least mobile support for the profiles messaging system. I get a lot of PMs that I can't respond to because the current profile PM system is incompatible with most smartphones/tablets

Also, this.

Particularly with ads. With the new ad system on the front page, when the user clicks an article, it starts to load, then stops, loads a full page ad, then proceeds to the article. On a phone, this is ridiculous.
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
AeroRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #17
arnolddrummer

the genre one would be cool, if i feel like learning a blues song, but don't know which one, i can just pick randomly. also yeah, the first one is a good idea.
arnolddrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #18
DeadlyKombat
Kweh?

How about spelling suggestions in the search box in case someone slips up the spelling of an artist/tab?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
DeadlyKombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #19
biga29

I understand that this site is mostly about tabs, but I don't think the forums have changed at all since I joined in '08. Show us a little love.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
biga29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #20
Wutu

If there is going to be the option for changing font, it should be monospaced or everything will looked messed up and make them hard to read
Wutu is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: