Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #21
rr-5rhoads

Regarding The First Subject, Wouldn't It Be Easier To Hide The One, Two And Three Star Rated Tabs From The Start. That Way THe List Isn't Cluttered With Bad Tabs.
rr-5rhoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #22
King Donkey
hai

Get rid of word censoring. Everybody circumvents it anyway and there is simply no justification for it on a 13+ forum.

Also, the Community section at the top of the site seems like it could be really cool. You guys should see if you can start updating it again, or hire some users to do the updating themselves.

Regards.
King Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #23
elcapitan1800
UGs Bored College Student

I would recommend somehow notifying when a tab has been blocked. Its frustrating searching for Bruce Springsteen or Eric Clapton tabs, finding boatloads of them, and not actually being able to view them because of some lame assed copyright laws. Even just an asterisk in the song title or something would be nice
Old 03-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #24
moscaespañol
>alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Donkey
Get rid of word censoring. Everybody circumvents it anyway and there is simply no justification for it on a 13+ forum.

Also, the Community section at the top of the site seems like it could be really cool. You guys should see if you can start updating it again, or hire some users to do the updating themselves.

And the caps filter.

Customisable skins plz? Probably not, but I can dream..

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
moscaespañol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #25
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vppark2
maybe get a notification when someone responds to you. also i feel like there should be a section where you can get help or show videos of playing guitar. say i need to work on my strum pattern, then theyd show me how to get better at strumming. like a section for beginners i guess. i havent had much experience yet playing guitar, so that would be neat. like playing in a drop tuning as well, explaining how to and how it works (i still dont know how even with a tuner). i can play drop d and drop b, but i have no idea how to do anything else.
You can already do that. Just edit your Control Panel to accept emails so that every time a thread you have subscribed to receives a new post, the email address linked to your account receives a notification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0S07657
I think a helpful thing would be to be able to select what page of a thread you want to go to. A good way to do this would be to be able to click a box with the page numbers on there and a go button. I would just like a go button because I like to click on a link with the scroll wheel to create a new tab and look at it later when I'm done with the page that I'm on.
I like this idea.

To add further to it, a specific search function for each individual thread would be wonderful. There are many 2,000 page threads on UG, and using the traditional search function does not allow you to type in the thread's title that you want to search through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Two suggestions:

1. Display avatars in the columns. I know this sounds arbitrary, irrelevant, and unimportant, but I think the lack of avatar display on the columns creates a heightened sense of anonymity that makes users less careful of what they say and more prone to breaking rules in the columns. It also creates a sense of dissociation from the forums, so a lot of people feel like the same rules don't apply
I like this idea a lot.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #26
paddyirishman
Gnéas Ciontóra Cláraithe

I agree with the comments in the news article about cleaning up the tab library. The fact that there are 7 mediocre versions of a tab prevents any new and possibly better tabs from getting accepted most of the time. I know this isn't a policy but many people scanning the Approval Queue don't seem to go to much trouble comparing versions before deciding to approve/reject if they see numerous existing tabs listed.

We should be able to update/edit our own tabs directly from the tab's page rather than going through this unnecessarily long click-fest to get to the little blue U. The same "Update Tab" link which appears on the tab when it resides in the approval queue should persist when the tab is accepted. Likewise, managing our own tabs from within our profile page should be much more direct. Everything about it seems messy and disorganised.

If a tab author comments on his/her own tab they shouldn't get an email notification reporting that someone posted a new comment on their tab. A small problem but it's kinda irritating and unnecessary.

Define exactly what the "Difficulty" option is for. Currently it seems to have two meanings. The first is regarding how difficult the song is to play, the second is about how "complete" the tab is. If the song is complete but extremely simple the first meaning is to be disregarded. This makes absolutely no sense, is completely arbitrary/pointless and only serves to confuse rather than inform users searching for tabs suitable for them. I suggest making "Difficulty" refer only to how hard the tab is to play and to introduce a new option called "Completeness" or something similar.

Add a more extensive and varied list of tunings to the tuning drop-down menu in the tab submission form.

An "Updated" icon next to a tab (or some other notifier signifying that changes have been made) would be really handy. If a tab is updated/corrected there's currently no obvious way to know.

Give credit to the original tabbers whose work appears in the Tab Pro library, maybe even linking directly to the original Guitar Pro tab from within the Tab Pro page. Besides being the courteous and fair thing to do it also serves a practical function - if a Tab Pro user wants to discuss the tab or suggest corrections to the author they currently aren't able to do so. If I were paying for this service I'd expect to have more, not less, interaction with the tab authors.
paddyirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #27
DroneBlues27

i posted this in the comments section of the article, but saw a moderator say it would be more likely seen here so here it is!:

Ok UG i haven't posted for a while, but I felt the need to do so for this article. I think that most of UG's overhead should be dedicated to the tabbing portion of the site. Although there are so many other qualities to this site that I love (articles, news, forums, etc.), I feel that UG's forte (pun very intended) should most definitely be tabs.

I think UG should consider the reality of the internet and the content out there that in some respects, but not all, supersedes UG's content. If you google guitar tabs, UG is the first site to pop up right on top. If you google music news or another category, for instance, UG is (sadly) not the first site. In fact, you'd have to go through probably dozens of pages to find UG. The average user will most likely click something on the first page. This is where UG can thrive. If UG can strive for perfect guitar tabs, as well as expand (as they have been with the features of UG plus) then almost undoubtedly UG can achieve a sort of guitar tab monopoly online. Let's face it though, with the economy of the world (namely the US where I'm from) in turmoil, people aren't even willing to pay $0.99 for their favorite song let alone several dollars for some of the features that UG has.

Although this strategy might be a little bold and have short term costs, I think the long term investment potential is far greater. In this age, "free is for me" is a popular slogan. If UG made more of it's features free, I think they would see an exponential increase in downloads as well as website traffic. Wherever there is dense web traffic, there is an even denser check that an advertiser is willing to write to market on a site. And although for users ads may be a pain in the ass, those who desire the service enough are willing to look past that and deal with that small inconvenience. I have a feeling, although i could be dead wrong, that UG doesn't make the majority of it's money from people paying for the ad-free version of the site. I think UG is concentrating too much on short term profits rather than long term investment. It's only a matter of time until people will find another site/service that is free and the people (sheep-le) will flock to that, which inevitably will damage UG's well-being.

Moral of my story: make stuff free, maybe not forever. just give it a shot UG and see what happens. Maybe give incentives to your employees for ways to cut corners/ improve the site. But maybe you won't even have to cut corners! if you look at how far down the comments go on some of news articles and discussions, it's unbelievable how much space is empty that could be used for ads. And the beautiful part about it for the user, is most of the time a user is able to download some sort of ad blocker to block the ads anyway.

PLEASE UG GIVE YOUR LOYAL USERS FREEEEEDDDOMMMMM AND YOU WILL EARN FREEDOM IN THE PROCESS!
DroneBlues27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #28
Pan-Tallica
Tengo flujo dulce, nena

^ Interesting points. I certainly agree that the tabs are the strength of this site. In fact, I would argue that no other site compares with UG in that department. Since I joined the site in 2006, a lot about the tab section of the site has changed. At this point, I think the only thing that needs to be addressed, with regards to tabs, is the development of new and more efficient methods for sorting tabs and tab search results.

Unfortunately, I have never really looked into any of UG's paid features - so I cannot speak to their usefulness or popularity. As such, I cannot offer a fair opinion regarding the amount of time and effort the staff should be putting into such projects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneBlues27
if you look at how far down the comments go on some of news articles and discussions, it's unbelievable how much space is empty that could be used for ads. And the beautiful part about it for the user, is most of the time a user is able to download some sort of ad blocker to block the ads anyway.
My understanding is that the site does not profit from people using ad blockers.

EDIT - I'd also like to add this, from a user in the columns:

"i think it would be awesome if you guys could code a slightly more forgiving search function for tabs. It would be nice if it was something similar to google's.
For example if i was to type in "rado head" it would be nice to get a "Did you mean Radio Head?" thing.

Thanks for the time

Crux"

D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S

Last edited by Pan-Tallica : 03-15-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Pan-Tallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #29
Maiden95

I really think this site needs less censorship. I'm usually not one to comment on that issue but on a site for people to get together and talk about music I think it's okay we see "the f word" and so on.
Your personal attack policy is just fine but I don't think our comments should be removed because of a word 90 percent of us use anyway
Maiden95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #30
StonedColdCrazy
Banned

It would be great to be able to upload pictures/ profile pics from a url like you can for avatars.
+1 to cleaning up badly rated/ piss poor tabs.
StonedColdCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #31
Wolfinator-x
Teeth

I always thought the "it's considered nudity even if it's censored with black bars" thing to be a little dumb
Stray Cats, Gustav Holst

Mah Youtube vids.
if you truly loved me, you'd watch them (psst; it's not just glam stuff)

Mah Soundcloud
Wolfinator-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #32
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinator-x
I always thought the "it's considered nudity even if it's censored with black bars" thing to be a little dumb
That's there to stop people going one step further. The hot chicks thread was closed down because people kept pushing the boundaries on what was allowed and what wasn't, so you have to be strict in the beginning. Guys can't keep it their pants in other words.

Plus it doesn't take much imagination to guess what's underneath a tiny black line covering a female body. I personally think it defeats the purpose of having no nudity. Even with black lines, most work areas would not allow it on their employee's computers, and neither would schools.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #33
phoenixsixx

Every single thing you've proposed is just great! =D
phoenixsixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #34
Wolfinator-x
Teeth

Ahhhh, gotcha. What about spoiler tags?

EDIT: Spoiler tags would by default be unopenable by users that aren't logged in or are underage, but that you could remove that restriction. For eligible users, "restricted" (i.e. default) spoiler tags would ask for a confirmation after clicking it, unless you change your options.
Stray Cats, Gustav Holst

Mah Youtube vids.
if you truly loved me, you'd watch them (psst; it's not just glam stuff)

Mah Soundcloud

Last edited by Wolfinator-x : 03-15-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Wolfinator-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #35
rubyrod7

It'd like to see an improvement in the way users create tabs. More specifically, when i'm writing the chords out for a song and i place the chord name on the line above a lyric, it's lined up, but when i hit "preview tab" i see that the chord name has been pushed back a few spaces and it's no longer lined up correctly. I'm not sure if other users have had the same problem, it'd be great if you guys could fix this, i know it seems like a small thing, but it's actually pretty frustrating. Thanks
rubyrod7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #36
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

There should be more stuff on the front page, because I'm lazy.

No seriously, if there was a little box with a list of the most active/hottest threads in the forums, instead of just the most recent posts, that would be great. Don't get rid of the one for recent posts, otherwise no-one will ever get answered, but just add a new little box.

Also, I know there might not be a way to control this, but it really bothers me how all reviews end up having pretty much the same rating. Yes I realize that the Barbie goes Jonas Brothers plastic guitar that you found in the alley actually plays pretty well considering the fact that its plastic and you found it in an alley way, but that doesn't mean you have to give it a 9, while a Fender American Standard Strat only has a 9 overall because Strats aren't for everyone. Clearly these two guitars aren't on the same level, but the claim is being made that they are. This forces me to ignore the rating and just look at the price, but more expensive isn't always better.

And also, I totally agree with the add comments. I don't mind the adds that don't attack me, but when I'm trying to read an article I'd really rather not have an add that I haven't even scrolled over (because I specifically avoid doing that, which is also a pain) suddenly jumps to cover to majority of my screen, and it starts talking to me. I listen to music when I'm on the computer, I imagine a lot of users do. I don't want adds playing during my music. And if the add on an article is preventing me from reading the article, that kinda defeats the point right? I realize I could avoid this by subscribing, but frankly the news on UG is not worth that much. And scare tactics are never good for business in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:55 AM   #37
lVlaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneBlues27
i posted this in the comments section of the article, but saw a moderator say it would be more likely seen here so here it is!:

Ok UG i haven't posted for a while, but I felt the need to do so for this article. I think that most of UG's overhead should be dedicated to the tabbing portion of the site. Although there are so many other qualities to this site that I love (articles, news, forums, etc.), I feel that UG's forte (pun very intended) should most definitely be tabs.

I think UG should consider the reality of the internet and the content out there that in some respects, but not all, supersedes UG's content. If you google guitar tabs, UG is the first site to pop up right on top. If you google music news or another category, for instance, UG is (sadly) not the first site. In fact, you'd have to go through probably dozens of pages to find UG. The average user will most likely click something on the first page. This is where UG can thrive. If UG can strive for perfect guitar tabs, as well as expand (as they have been with the features of UG plus) then almost undoubtedly UG can achieve a sort of guitar tab monopoly online. Let's face it though, with the economy of the world (namely the US where I'm from) in turmoil, people aren't even willing to pay $0.99 for their favorite song let alone several dollars for some of the features that UG has.

Although this strategy might be a little bold and have short term costs, I think the long term investment potential is far greater. In this age, "free is for me" is a popular slogan. If UG made more of it's features free, I think they would see an exponential increase in downloads as well as website traffic. Wherever there is dense web traffic, there is an even denser check that an advertiser is willing to write to market on a site. And although for users ads may be a pain in the ass, those who desire the service enough are willing to look past that and deal with that small inconvenience. I have a feeling, although i could be dead wrong, that UG doesn't make the majority of it's money from people paying for the ad-free version of the site. I think UG is concentrating too much on short term profits rather than long term investment. It's only a matter of time until people will find another site/service that is free and the people (sheep-le) will flock to that, which inevitably will damage UG's well-being.

Moral of my story: make stuff free, maybe not forever. just give it a shot UG and see what happens. Maybe give incentives to your employees for ways to cut corners/ improve the site. But maybe you won't even have to cut corners! if you look at how far down the comments go on some of news articles and discussions, it's unbelievable how much space is empty that could be used for ads. And the beautiful part about it for the user, is most of the time a user is able to download some sort of ad blocker to block the ads anyway.

PLEASE UG GIVE YOUR LOYAL USERS FREEEEEDDDOMMMMM AND YOU WILL EARN FREEDOM IN THE PROCESS!

Spot on man. UG's top priority should be tabs not in the way of proffiting from them but make them better. You calready have the largest ammount of tabs that i can find but now you just have to start searching for quality within them and this is the main issue.
Besides highlighting tab quality you should also focus on the fan base, specially the fan base that contributes with material since after all UG would be nothing without us. Trying to make profiles more interactive or highlighting acomplishments like some sort of trophy collection or medals or something like that and just plain and simple make the site more accesible and more fun to be on to all fans and not just those who are willing to pay 2.99 or whatever the price is.
I love this site and i used to collaborate a lot and because i like the site so much ive mannage to stand all types of ads no matter how incredibly annoying they are because i know thats how they get the money.

There are some loyal fans out there but if UG continues going down this road of short term profit, then its only a matter of time before another site pops up and people move out.

EDIT:

As far as cleaning out bad tabs, the best approach would be to just take bad tabs out but this only on more popular songs. As for songs that only have 1 version it would be best to keep them in. People might not learn it correctly or for whatever reason but it helps as a guideline for other users who are willing to make a new version having the faulty version as a rough blueprint on where to start
I would know, ive used some to see how to approach the one im making.

Last edited by lVlaniac : 03-16-2012 at 03:58 AM.
lVlaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #38
FantomasXD

Reviews should be done by a professional/qualified/in the know person so we can trust and be satisfied by gear reviews. This would be great. Keep up thr great site. Stay noisy brothers!
FantomasXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #39
K!!LsWiTcH
Not a fan of KSE

more text options in the comments section i.e. deleting a post. you should be able to pretty much do what you cna in the forums
K!!LsWiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #40
mr.wood77

Thumbs down

don't change a thing..only mouth breathers can't find what they are looking for..aka the 1%...site works fine and has for years..don't change for the unintelligent that just brings you down to their level and makes the rest of us have to deal with people who don't know what they are looking for..how you gonna get on a music site and not know the band...might as well put up a search for people who only know the words to the song..for example(hey hey mama like the way you move gonna make you sweat gonna make you groove)...have fun accommodating morons
mr.wood77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: