Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #41
Pan-Tallica
Tengo flujo dulce, nena

Quote:
Originally Posted by K!!LsWiTcH
more text options in the comments section i.e. deleting a post. you should be able to pretty much do what you cna in the forums
I'm definitely going to second this... The columns might be more popular if they weren't so basic and visually unappealing. I'm not sure how possible it would be to create and "advanced post" option, like we have in the forums, but that might be very useful.

D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
Pan-Tallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #42
PMR24

I know where supposed to pick from the top 10 but i dont know why it has bein brough up yet. Why not add tuxguitar as a type of tab you can get from the site. Guitarpro cost money and not everyone has the money for it (inculding me). And with guitar pro 6 you cant opin it file with tuxguitar. I really thing it would be a good idel to put tuxguitar file on UG. Cause there so many time i find a song i want to play but i cant oipin the guitar pro file cause i dont have guitar pro and they dont have the normale tabs... And im sure i ant the only one with the same problum. with tuxguitar it free to get and use. So i wont be like i found my song but i cant affored the programe to opin it, you know.
PMR24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #43
Lemoninfluence
Masculist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneBlues27
i posted this in the comments section of the article, but saw a moderator say it would be more likely seen here so here it is!:

Ok UG i haven't posted for a while, but I felt the need to do so for this article. I think that most of UG's overhead should be dedicated to the tabbing portion of the site. Although there are so many other qualities to this site that I love (articles, news, forums, etc.), I feel that UG's forte (pun very intended) should most definitely be tabs.

I think UG should consider the reality of the internet and the content out there that in some respects, but not all, supersedes UG's content. If you google guitar tabs, UG is the first site to pop up right on top. If you google music news or another category, for instance, UG is (sadly) not the first site. In fact, you'd have to go through probably dozens of pages to find UG. The average user will most likely click something on the first page. This is where UG can thrive. If UG can strive for perfect guitar tabs, as well as expand (as they have been with the features of UG plus) then almost undoubtedly UG can achieve a sort of guitar tab monopoly online. Let's face it though, with the economy of the world (namely the US where I'm from) in turmoil, people aren't even willing to pay $0.99 for their favorite song let alone several dollars for some of the features that UG has.

Although this strategy might be a little bold and have short term costs, I think the long term investment potential is far greater. In this age, "free is for me" is a popular slogan. If UG made more of it's features free, I think they would see an exponential increase in downloads as well as website traffic. Wherever there is dense web traffic, there is an even denser check that an advertiser is willing to write to market on a site. And although for users ads may be a pain in the ass, those who desire the service enough are willing to look past that and deal with that small inconvenience. I have a feeling, although i could be dead wrong, that UG doesn't make the majority of it's money from people paying for the ad-free version of the site. I think UG is concentrating too much on short term profits rather than long term investment. It's only a matter of time until people will find another site/service that is free and the people (sheep-le) will flock to that, which inevitably will damage UG's well-being.

Moral of my story: make stuff free, maybe not forever. just give it a shot UG and see what happens. Maybe give incentives to your employees for ways to cut corners/ improve the site. But maybe you won't even have to cut corners! if you look at how far down the comments go on some of news articles and discussions, it's unbelievable how much space is empty that could be used for ads. And the beautiful part about it for the user, is most of the time a user is able to download some sort of ad blocker to block the ads anyway.

PLEASE UG GIVE YOUR LOYAL USERS FREEEEEDDDOMMMMM AND YOU WILL EARN FREEDOM IN THE PROCESS!

UG is free. Always has been. Or at least the main features are.

The only things that are paid features are extra, luxury features such as the iphone/android app and UG plus. And they were introduced because people kept posting about how they'd willingly pay to have an ad free version of the site etc.

Advertising has always been UG's main source of revenue. And although people complain about the ads, they very rarely report any in the bad ads forum. What they do is they usually take your advice and search for some plugin that blocks the ads. Which actually harms UG as they get less revenue.

All in all, I don't know what you're trying to suggest other than 'give me free stuff'... which is already the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Lemoninfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #44
zappp
+ UG Master +

Guys, thanks for all your feedback and posts about UG's next features. We are taking them seriously by trying to bring at least a few things new that would help to make the site more fun and useful for learning music.

In one of these days, I'd want to tell a story how UG's evolved in the last couple years and what has changed since the last major website update. We have a lot of great ideas to implement and my personal goal is to get early 00's back when we were able to roll out new features every month or so... and working hard on making this happen as soon as possible.

For now, just keep your ideas coming as that helps us to shape our future decisions and solutions on where things would go. I still consider the site community ruled versus us, engineers, being the main driving force for the changes.

~zappp
zappp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #45
hime16_2000

To me, this is a guitar website. Every guitarists does one thing. TUNE. I know there's several sites out there, but it would be really awesome if you had a tab with a customizable built in tuner. Whether it's standard, Half Step, 3 steps, or some crazy alternate tunings, Be able to choose which tuning you want and hear it. We're not always gonna have a tuner around when we got ur site up and a guitar in had. That's just my 2 cents.
hime16_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #46
moscaespañol
>alabama

edit: whoah it's zappp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wood77
don't change a thing..only mouth breathers can't find what they are looking for..aka the 1%...site works fine and has for years..don't change for the unintelligent that just brings you down to their level and makes the rest of us have to deal with people who don't know what they are looking for..how you gonna get on a music site and not know the band...might as well put up a search for people who only know the words to the song..for example(hey hey mama like the way you move gonna make you sweat gonna make you groove)...have fun accommodating morons

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
moscaespañol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #47
BassFishin
The Wizard's Baker

When downloading a 'power tab' or 'guitar pro' tab, it would be nice the the actual link to the file was easier to find on the page.

It seems like you have to scroll through an entire page of miscellaneous ads, text, and nonsense before finding the link to download the actual file.

I mean, I'm used to this now, but I remember when I was first coming to the site it was an absolute pain in the a*s, haha.

Very trivial, but something that I've always thought of.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:12 AM   #48
moscaespañol
>alabama

what happened to the chat bar we had a year or so ago?

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
moscaespañol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #49
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

I think that having an option to search in a particular thread would be great. It's too much of a pain to read through hundreds of pages to find what you're looking for. Basically, just enable an in-thread search bar that allows you to browse for a particular term within that thread.
JoeFlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #50
Wolfinator-x
Teeth

You know how when you hover over a thread title, it gives you a preview of the thread? I was thinking maybe implementing something similar for usernames, i.e. hovering over the username of the thread starter to see his/her avatar, join date, and all that jazz. It would help for future Kelly22 attacks.
Stray Cats, Gustav Holst

Mah Youtube vids.
if you truly loved me, you'd watch them (psst; it's not just glam stuff)

Mah Soundcloud
Wolfinator-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #51
BassFishin
The Wizard's Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence

All in all, I don't know what you're trying to suggest other than 'give me free stuff'... which is already the case.

I've gotta agree here. The core of this site is essentially the archive of tabs, and those are free. Everything else is practically free, with the exception of a couple of features.

I'll admit, some ads are absolutely dreadful (when I'm trying to read an article and the advertisement pops out, preventing me from reading the rest of the paragraph and making it a pain to X it out)

but, how else are they going to keep the site up? Commercials on TV are annoying, but without them, those channels could not exist.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #52
Eggmond
Otherwise Known as Eggy

I think it would be good to have an extra line in the forum under join date and location for the users contribution score or a rank. It might create a sense of competition and encourage users to contribute to the site

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Eggmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #53
BassFishin
The Wizard's Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggmond
I think it would be good to have an extra line in the forum under join date and location for the users contribution score or a rank. It might create a sense of competition and encourage users to contribute to the site

Old 03-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #54
Wolfinator-x
Teeth

How about having certain search queries for tabs that redirect to a single category? In other words, I could search for "ELO" and be redirected to Electric Light Orchestra tabs.

There's also a category called "Mtley Cre", possibly because UG doesn't "understand" umlauts, and therefore, anything submitted under "Mötley Crüe" doesn't become "Motley Crue" but rather "Mtley Cre". Maybe do something about artist tab categories like that. I suspect that Blue Oyster Cult and a few other bands have this issue to.
Stray Cats, Gustav Holst

Mah Youtube vids.

Mah Soundcloud
Old 03-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #55
Joshua Garcia
UG's Space Ghost

I was thinking of this: You know how when you look on your submitted tabs, you have the option to sort them by Title, Date, and Rating? Well, why not have the option to also sort them by Hits? Sorting by Rating doesn't help too much since there are some lower rated songs with more hits than higher rated ones. I have quite a few songs tabbed out, so I'm too lazy to find out how it would be ordered. Not a big change, but it would be a nice feature and feed my curiosity!

Last edited by Joshua Garcia : 07-26-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Joshua Garcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #56
whoomit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggmond

That does sound pretty good actually.

I'm 3,947th out of 121,140. How high are you?
whoomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #57
Wolfinator-x
Teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
I'm 3,947th out of 121,140. How high are you?
4823, biiitch.
Stray Cats, Gustav Holst

Mah Youtube vids.

Mah Soundcloud
Old 03-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #58
whoomit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinator-x
4823, biiitch.

Woohoo!
Old 03-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #59
BassFishin
The Wizard's Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinator-x
4823, biiitch.

925, turkeys!

See? I felt so compelled to post that and assert my dominance. It's already working!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #60
whoomit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFishin
925, turkeys!

See? I felt so compelled to post that and assert my dominance. It's already working!

Rate This Thread: