Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: which chorus?
neo clone 5 21.74%
small clone 15 65.22%
harley benton 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
'93

which chorus?

im looking to purchase a chorus pedal for my pedal board and i am not sur which one i should buy. the three im looking into right now are the EHX small clone, neo clone and the harley benton classic chorus. i was going to go with the latter until i found out that it is not true bypass and i already have 3 pedals which are not so id rather not have more tone sucking (although i know technically no pedal sucks no tone at all)

current gear is a fender jaguar through a laney cub 12, boss ds-2, lpb-1 and a wh-10

i dont have a specific tone in mind. vintage chorus tones in general are ok for me although i do like the sounds john frusciante and josh klinghoffer and they use the boss CE-1 and 2 respectively

the harley benton (from sound demos) seems to have the nicest sound imo, its quite warm which i like...but as i said before it is not true bypass

there is more info on the ehx ones and all the reviews seem good...but they are also twice the price (not that there much of a difference...just 30 euro...but im an 18 year old uni student...money isnt abundant). they are also true bypass.

as a side note...as anyone tried the harley benton tuner? is it any good or should i invest in a different, better tuner?

thanks
'93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
stykerwolf
footdive!

Used boss ce-2
stykerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i wasn't super fussed on the harley benton chorus (that's the rebranded joyo, right?)- most of the other joyos i've tried were great, but the chorus wasn't quite so good. It's still "good for the money", but that's all, whereas most of the other joyos are "good".

can you get tonerider easily? i like its chorus, it's around 50. Haven't tried the mxr, though. but i prefer it to the ehx, the ehx (only tried the regular one, not the nano) is quite dark. which is great if that's what you want, of course.

Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
'93

unforetunatly i can only order from thomann...the probelm is that from to where i live (malta) shipping from thomann is already at 30 euro. im splitting it with like 3 friends so that buying a 30 euro pedal is actually worthwhile.

i will look into the mxr chorus but i tihnk its slightly out of my budget...seeing as i also want a fuzz and a tuner soon. however i have listened to some demos and was not that impressed...
Old 03-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
stykerwolf
footdive!

Shipping from thomann is always 30 eu, just troll the tgp forums, some people are nice enough to ship worldwide at decent costs.
stykerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by '93
unforetunatly i can only order from thomann...the probelm is that from to where i live (malta) shipping from thomann is already at 30 euro. im splitting it with like 3 friends so that buying a 30 euro pedal is actually worthwhile.

ah ok, that sucks

Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
'93

i wouldnt mind having a slightly darker chorus sound...is there a difference between the nano and the small. i know it says theyre exactly the same but im just checking.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

My vote goes to the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus.
It has a buffer, but its got a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I'm sorry that we won't validate your decision, we give advice here, not good feelings.

My friends call me Rob.
CodeMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
iwannabesedated
King Sombrero

Quote:
Originally Posted by '93
i wouldnt mind having a slightly darker chorus sound...is there a difference between the nano and the small. i know it says theyre exactly the same but im just checking.

They're a little different. If they were exactly the same I doubt they would give it a different name and sell both (see the Small Stone phaser).

I would suggest the Small Clone. I have one, it's great. I've even used vintage choruses like the Boss CE-2 and I still like the Small Clone the best.
iwannabesedated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Find a Quadraverb on Ebay and stick it in your loop. Get some class into proceedings. Amazing how cheap they go for at times these days.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
&baconstrips

Quote:
Originally Posted by '93

The nano clone is pretty bad. The neo clone is the same as the small clone, just in the smaller "nano" casing.
&baconstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

JAM Waterfall

Pedalboard Thread Native: The Thrashaholic

Buy my Thrash Album for whatever price you want!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR
It's modelling valve power amp output valves wearing out.

GG&A WTLT List
darkwolf291 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:37 AM   #13
'93

Quote:
Originally Posted by &baconstrips
The nano clone is pretty bad. The neo clone is the same as the small clone, just in the smaller "nano" casing.

sorry i meant the neo clone...ye ive heard the nano is bad. i heard some demos it sounds more like a phaser.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #14
FleecRocks

I like all pedals from Harley Benton / Yojo...for what they are.

I recently bought my first valve amp (Blackstar HT1-R head + Blackstar cab about a year ago) and I immediately purchased 7 or 8 Harley Benton pedals from Thomann (along with a pedal board). At the price of 2 high end pedals, you have just about any effect at your disposal. So, yes, I'm happy that there are brands like BH and Yojo who offer fairly decent pedals at a fraction of the price.
What I'm doing now is gradually replacing the pedals with higher end ones.

Voodoo lab analog chorus is my favorite.
I'm not a big fan of Boss' sounds and actually prefer the HB over a CH-2, or for that matter the MXR analog chorus.

Individual pedals have a sound of their own and it's usually in your best interest to try them before you buy them...but given the low prices of HB gear I gladly took the gamble and wasn't at all unsatisfied.
FleecRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleecRocks
I like all pedals from Harley Benton / Yojo...for what they are.

I recently bought my first valve amp (Blackstar HT1-R head + Blackstar cab about a year ago) and I immediately purchased 7 or 8 Harley Benton pedals from Thomann (along with a pedal board). At the price of 2 high end pedals, you have just about any effect at your disposal. So, yes, I'm happy that there are brands like BH and Yojo who offer fairly decent pedals at a fraction of the price.
What I'm doing now is gradually replacing the pedals with higher end ones.

Voodoo lab analog chorus is my favorite.
I'm not a big fan of Boss' sounds and actually prefer the HB over a CH-2, or for that matter the MXR analog chorus.

Individual pedals have a sound of their own and it's usually in your best interest to try them before you buy them...but given the low prices of HB gear I gladly took the gamble and wasn't at all unsatisfied.

Hi. See the date of thread you posted in?

Don't post in threads this old.

kthx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #16
Perverockstar69

Small Clone is not bad, I do like how it sounds. I recommend the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #17
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perverockstar69
Small Clone is not bad, I do like how it sounds. I recommend the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus!

This thread is dead. Please see post date.
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Maineguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

I had the Neo Clone and it sounded pretty nice but the controls are so limited, it basically just does one style of sound. It's a great sound, but it's the only thing it does. I ended up getting a Boss chorus instead (one of the current ones, I forget which) and was much happier with that, due to the expanded controls. It gave me the same sound the Neo did and more, the only cost being the larger (standard) size.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #19
jorgeluisramon

MXR analog chorus. Some eBay sellers have pretty decent worldwide shipping rates
jorgeluisramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #20
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgeluisramon
MXR analog chorus. Some eBay sellers have pretty decent worldwide shipping rates

Dude, stop ****ing posting in this thread!

NOBODY ELSE POST IN THIS THREAD. IT'S OLD. THANKS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: