Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-19-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
sjones
UG's Analrapist

Looking to get into Frank Zappa. Best starting point?

Being a fan of prog-rock and the likes, I've decided it's time to check out Frank Zappa. I'm not sure if this is necessarily the best sub-forum to ask this question, but for someone just getting into Zappa, what would be a good starting point? Preferably an album or a few albums.

I'm currently listening to Strictly Commercial: The Best of Frank Zappa right now on Grooveshark. I'm a few songs in and I've liked what I've heard so far.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
Bluesblitz
Resident COOTER

If you really wanna start early, you could go for "Freak out!", an early album he did with the Mothers of Invention, but it's a big departure from his later works in the 70's and 80's, it has a doo-wop, psychadellic kind of feel to it, but it's still worth a look.

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Old 03-19-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
ace man

Start with apostrophe'/overnite sensation, then sheik yerbouti, they should start getting your head around what you're dealing with. Then when you've absorbed those three, go back to freak out and start working forward through absolutely free, we're only in it for the money and lumpy gravy. It would take years to get all the way through his catalogue. I don't think there's anyone left alive who's heard every single zappa album.

Anti-thayer
Old 03-19-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
Raz_Steroid
THISISTHIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace man
Start with apostrophe'/overnite sensation, then sheik yerbouti, they should start getting your head around what you're dealing with. Then when you've absorbed those three, go back to freak out and start working forward through absolutely free, we're only in it for the money and lumpy gravy. It would take years to get all the way through his catalogue. I don't think there's anyone left alive who's heard every single zappa album.

I was about to say everything this guy said, so Do This™
Old 03-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #5
CavemanJB

My favorite Frank Zappa track- Peaches en Regalia, by far.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
melvura
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace man
[img] ****************************[/img]Start with apostrophe'/overnite sensation, then sheik yerbouti, they should start getting your head around what you're dealing with. Then when you've absorbed those three, go back to freak out and start working forward through absolutely free, we're only in it for the money and lumpy gravy. It would take years to get all the way through his catalogue. I don't think there's anyone left alive who's heard every sinIt would take years to get all the way through his catalogue. I don't think there's anyone left alive who's heard every single zappa album.gle zappa album.
It would take years to get all the way through his catalogue. I don't think there's anyone left alive who's heard every single zappa album.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
blanktbcampbell
Banned

I don't think there's anyone left alive who's heard every single zappa album. [img]************************/g.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
sjones
UG's Analrapist

So far I've listened to Apostrophe, Sheik Yerbouti, and Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar, as well as a "Best of" compilation. I'm currently listening to Hot Rats right now, and it might be my favorite so far, although I've really enjoyed all of them so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.

Last edited by sjones : 03-20-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
Shpongled

From what you've heard so far, I would recommend checking out One Size Fits All, Zoot Allures, Over-Nite Sensation, and Joe's Garage. If you liked Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar, I would also check out Guitar and Trance-Fusion, which are both also albums that are just guitar solos culled from live performances. I'd also check out some regular live albums, pretty much anything from the You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore series is good. I also really like Buffalo and The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ShpongleSquirrel
Old 03-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
institutions
i ply base

I've only listened to a few, but Zoot Allures is probably my favorite.
I'd recommend checking it out when you have some time.

=^● ⋏ ●^=
my anime list! | steam! | last.fm!
playing: nba 2k15, dark souls 1, smash 4 (wii u)
Old 04-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
sethkins

lumpy gravy
Old 04-16-2012, 03:05 AM   #12
roushsn95

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones
Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar

That was the first Zappa record I bought. Vinnie Colauita's drumming is beyond incredible.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
datsh!tcray
Banned

I really like the first Joe's Garage but acts 2 and 3 weren't as good. Try checking out the DVD Does Humour Belong In Music?, great show tight as hell.

Rate This Thread: