Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
KailM

Eminence Texas Heat or Swamp Thang for 6505+ combo

Hey guys, I've decided to try to sell my Eminence Governor speaker and try out a Swamp Thang or Texas Heat.

I emailed Eminence and they recommended the Texas Heat over the Swamp because it still has a little mid-top bite. But I wanted to hear your opinions as well.

Basically, I was planning to combine my Governor with something like a Swamp Thang in a 2X12 cabinet, but I won't be able to afford one of those for quite some time. I'd rather just have more of my 'ideal' sound in a 1X12 for now. Which is to say, more low-end, or low-mids. The Governor has a nice, ripping, upper midrange, but on low chugs/galloping riffs it just doesn't have the br00ts I need.

I should also say that I don't tune that low; D-standard, Drop-C. That means I could probably get away with a low-end voiced speaker and still maintain clarity. Thanks for your input!
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

i have 2 texas heats and 2 swamp things in my cab. i love the swamp things but idk how they would sound all alone, their verry low end where as the texas heat has the more high end to compliemnt it. so for just 1 speaker id say texas heat
Vicious_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
fastlanestoner
the nxt NEXT Nigel Tufnel

I think the Texas heats are a little better, though not sure how they're built to handle the low-end

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
fastlanestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
LaidBack
Call me Mike

I will soon have both a Texas Heat and a Swamp Thang (when the seller ever winds up freaking shipping the speakers). If you can stick it out a week or two, I can give you some first hand opinions.

Note: I don't own a 6505/5150, nor do I have immediate access to one. So I can just give you generalized speaker characteristics.
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

http://www.guitarnoize.com/gear-dem...thang-speakers/

maybe those clips will help

i've only tried the texas heat. I wouldn't want any darker in a 1x12, that's for sure. that being said, in that clip i linked to, the swamp thang sounds brighter, i think.

no idea what's going on. eminence said the same thing to me regarding the TH versus swamp thang (though i wanted it for entirely different purposes).

i guess the only thing i'd really say is i'd need a very good reason to go against their advice. they (presumably) know their own speakers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack
I will soon have both a Texas Heat and a Swamp Thang (when the seller ever winds up freaking shipping the speakers). If you can stick it out a week or two, I can give you some first hand opinions.

Note: I don't own a 6505/5150, nor do I have immediate access to one. So I can just give you generalized speaker characteristics.

Yeah, if you could find this thread again or pm me when you get them, I'd love to hear what you have to say. I'd be interested in how they sound for 'modern' metal, regardless of your amp.
Boss HM-2
Old 03-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc

i've only tried the texas heat. I wouldn't want any darker in a 1x12, that's for sure. that being said, in that clip i linked to, the swamp thang sounds brighter, i think.

no idea what's going on. eminence said the same thing to me regarding the TH versus swamp thang (though i wanted it for entirely different purposes).

i guess the only thing i'd really say is i'd need a very good reason to go against their advice. they (presumably) know their own speakers.

Thanks, those clips did help. I actually liked the sound of the Texas Heat a little better on most of the styles. They did play one "Metallicaesque" riff that kind of sounds like my style, and I preferred the TH on that one. But my style is more aggressive than that riff.

I guess as long as I can get a decent amount of money for my Governor (it only has about 25 hours of low to moderate volume play time, I can try a Texas Heat and then try the Swamp Thang if the TH doesn't work.

I don't want to try to fix my low-end issues too much and then have to get something more toward the middle, haha. I could definitely imagine that Texas Heat sounding pretty brutal if tuned a little lower and through a 6505 with more gain...

Thanks to all who responded!
Boss HM-2
Old 03-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

for thump, the swamp thang is probably better. I like heats, but I like high mids and epic solos.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
Ippon
Amped

Quote:

This is also what I experienced with the Swamp Thang in my 6505+ 112. The Texas Heat shines in the undersized Fender 412.

The Governor sounded best to me.

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
for thump, the swamp thang is probably better. I like heats, but I like high mids and epic solos.

But how are the Heats for that "thump?" I'm not a real soloist, more of a ryhthm player. I just didn't find that the Governor has enough punch/low-end thump.

Now I'm thinking about the Swamp Thang again...
Boss HM-2
Old 03-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
But how are the Heats for that "thump?" I'm not a real soloist, more of a ryhthm player. I just didn't find that the Governor has enough punch/low-end thump.

Now I'm thinking about the Swamp Thang again...

don't get me wrong, the heat has some bass, but it isnt as tight or chunky as a swamp thang. It is definitely a smoother speaker, with more focus on cutting through than bouncing your balls together. Great speaker, but I stand by my rec for the swamps.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Old 03-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
don't get me wrong, the heat has some bass, but it isnt as tight or chunky as a swamp thang. It is definitely a smoother speaker, with more focus on cutting through than bouncing your balls together. Great speaker, but I stand by my rec for the swamps.

You wouldn't happen to have a sound clip of either in a 6505+ combo, would you?

Also, I'm assuming both of them have more bass/low mids than my Governor, right?
Boss HM-2
Old 03-20-2012, 11:43 PM   #13
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

I'm sorry, I don't have any way to Get a clip. I can't say for sure, as I've never heard gov in the combo in person, but I'd think so yes.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Old 03-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #14
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
Also, I'm assuming both of them have more bass/low mids than my Governor, right?

i haven't tried the gov, but assuming it's at least in the ballpark of a v30, then the TH has a lot more of a chunky low end and lower mids (i think... i'm terrible at tonal descriptions and actually deciphering what mids etc. are ).

also i think the TH is more low mids than high mids. but (as i said) i might be way off on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
This is also what I experienced with the Swamp Thang in my 6505+ 112. The Texas Heat shines in the undersized Fender 412.

The Governor sounded best to me.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
KailM

^^I hear ya -- mids are kind of hard to define, because it's not like there's a clear dividing line between each frequency. What my ears hear is either too much in the highs/not enough lows, or too much in the lows with no "cut" or "bite."

But yeah, I think low-mids are probably what I'm after -- to bring out the brootz without getting muddy. I think what I've read (and what I hear) in my Governor is a strong upper-midrange.
Boss HM-2
Old 03-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #16
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

^ from what I understand about the gov, that seems like it would be correct.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Old 03-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #17
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

ditto

i think the TH would do what you want, but that's not to say that (a) something else might not do it better and (b) that it might not be too much in the other direction.

the other thing is, it's quite american-voiced, so that might not be what you want, either. or it might be exactly what you want.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #18
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
ditto

i think the TH would do what you want, but that's not to say that (a) something else might not do it better and (b) that it might not be too much in the other direction.

the other thing is, it's quite american-voiced, so that might not be what you want, either. or it might be exactly what you want.

'MERICA! YEAH!!!!

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Old 03-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #20
Ippon
Amped

The Governor sounded better than the Texas Heat to me, in my 6505+ 112, at gigging volume; so, I'm not sure if KailM has cranked it and/or if the Tungsram 12AX7 had something to do with the better Lows and Low Mids.

I liked the TH better in undersized cabs; so, YMMV.

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: