Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #21
JBailey23
Oh Captain, my Captain

Here's my sh4 in action, different amp of course:

The schecter i'm using it in is mahoghany so you can get a good idea for your guitar. I've played a few sd distortions and i've liked them quite a bit. Though 1 of them is biased both those duncans have my vote.

EDIT: I have another video of this song where the drums aren't as loud so you can probably hear the guitar better.

PRS Tremonti
Fender FMT HH Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000
Marshall 1960a
Morley, Fulltone, MXR, and ISP effects

I play for Sleep Juliet. You can call me the Captain.

Last edited by JBailey23 : 03-23-2012 at 06:08 PM.
JBailey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #22
omidmash

Crunchlab/Liquifire. Thank us later.
omidmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #23
Slayterica

Why is the crunchlab/liquifire a better combo than a Seymour Duncan setup?
I don't know anything about dimarzio. Are they that good, or is it just a different sound?
Slayterica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #24
Myaccount876
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayterica
I don't know anything about dimarzio. Are they that good, or is it just a different sound?

DiMarzios just tend to be more clear sounding, with more articulation between different notes. To back that statement up, there is a reason Steve Vai/Joe Satriani use DiMarzios, because they need the distinction of individual notes in their playing. (This is all what I've heard) They sound like something to definitely try.
Myaccount876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #25
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Look into a Seymour Duncan SH-6/SH-2 set.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:08 AM   #26
cemges
Banned

Why people can't get it? STAY AWAY FROM INVADERS! As you have mahogany body, sh-6 won't do it. Sh14 or SH4 in the bridge would be nice. Dimario Super Distortion in bridge and tone zone or PAF pro in neck should be perfect for you. Btw I can also recommend you evolution pickups which I am using at the moment, they are perfect for solo playing.
Nice sustain, high clarity even at highest gain, nice performance for everything from jazz-blues to death metal.

Last edited by cemges : 03-24-2012 at 05:11 AM.
cemges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #27
Slayterica

he was recomending the distortion
sh6 is distortion, sh8 is invader
but i think im over the invader anyway
at the moment tho im considering d activators, crunch lab, or sh6
so ill decide soon enough, havent heard much negativity for these 3 so we'll see
even the evolution like you just mentioned, idk yet
thanks for all the input tho guys
Old 03-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #28
X-plorer88
Unlisted User

It all depends on what tone you're after. There are no bad tones. Just ones that are more or less suitable for different types music, styles, tonewoods... ect. Everyone has their own opinions so this thread isn't going to do you much good (especially on a forum like this).

To say an SD Invader is a bad pickup is pretty single minded. You don't like it so no one else will either... yeah, great advice that.

Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan both make great pickups. Barenuckle is said to make the best pickups since they're hand wound. The random spooling of hand winding decreases the capacitive properties of the coil and changes the frequency response. Or something like that. I'm sure they're great but I've never tried them.

Slayterica, the best thing you can do is first think about what kind of sound you want. To help you do that get the guitar and play it, alot. Figure out what you like and don't like about its tone. You have to experience the sound before the pickup change to appreciate it afterwords. Play it unplugged without that amp. Does it sound bright, warm, thin, full... ect? Then choose a pickup based on the associated EQ listed that will complement the tone of the guitar itself. In your case the mahogany body and maple neck may produce a warmish middy tone, which may be brighter in some places along the fretboard. The pickup's tone will be added to that tone. Maybe you want it to sound heavier, go for a Super Distortion which is mostly low/mids voiced. If you want it brighter for that "hot shreddy" sound choose a D-Activator which has more treble. But also consider the output in mV. If they're too high output you'll loose alot character. It won't sound as good on clean channels, you'll loose clarity, and you'll loose those subtle nuances your picking hand can create (pick noise, strumming, metallic "twang" stuff like that). You're not going to retain much of that with 18v active EMGs. Some will arge that the way you play and pick affects tone too. I tend to agree, but the more output the pickup has the less that shows through. The only good thing that comes from high output is the playability. You just barely hammer on and you still hear yourself next to a drummer.

Thats what separates a good pickup from a bad one. If it has great playability and output yet retains a good clear tone. The type of tone is only preference.

It's hard to pick new pickups. You really have analyze and think about what you want. I've been debating for month whether or not to put warmer Dimarzios in my Ibanez S5470Q. I'll keep the bright Hot Grinders because they complement the warm mahogany tone well. Plus I already have enough warmer/heavy guitars.

I hope that helps a bit.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #29
Slayterica

that does help x-plorer88, thank you. and i do plan to play the thing for awhile before i decided to change pickups, and what sound i wanted to achieve. i started this thread to create a starting point for myself to understand where i would start and where to look. because like i said i have limited experience with different pickups, what i want in them, and which pickups do what for that matter. and im eager to branch out of just having emgs in all my guitars, something different.
and this idea of bright/warm/full tones, im still a little inexperienced to fully understand the concept. i kinda of get it, but im still trying to understand. so ill definately try and play the guitar without an amp and see what it sounds like, wasnt going to untill you suggested it, so thanks
Old 03-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #30
cjstylez97

cjstylez97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #31
Slayterica

did that, thats why the d-activator is one im considering
Old 03-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #32
Megdidar

My ibanez iceman had d-activators in it. I liked them well enough but they didn't really have the articulation I had come to expect from dimarzio. I think you really aught to consider all of the suggestions of the crunchlab/liquifire. It's a really well rounded setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Megdidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #33
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayterica

nah i wouldn't say they're any better, just different. i probably prefer dimarzio's higher gain pickups to duncan, but i probably prefer duncan's lower gain pickups to dimarzio.

that's not to say you'd agree, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #34
Slayterica

I'll probably end up flipping a coin cause I can't decide dammit lol
Old 03-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #35
X-plorer88
Unlisted User

Wait till you get the guitar. That'll help you choose.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #36
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

good call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #37
racerfreed

dimarzio dominions = Lamb of God
racerfreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #38
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Throw 'em for a loop and get single coils. Works for Iron Maiden.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #39
cemges
Banned

Why don't you think about Dimarzio Super Distortion? It is really super.
cemges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #40
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

DiMarzio X2N!
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500