Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Bass Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
sam_ofzo

UROTM sam_ofzo's equipment

Ever since I've been playing, my rig has changed quite a bit and I came to the point I'm perfectly happy with it for now (although a 6-string fretless might be fun).

I've been playing since 2006 and I've been lurking the forum for a long time, but I thought it might be time to contribute, so here's a UROTM.

Iíll start of with a picture of my entire rig / playing space

Starting with the smallest part of my rig, this is my Korg Pandora Mini.

It's the most recent addition to my arsenal. It might not have the greatest effects, but it works rather well as a headphone amp. So I use it if I want to play outside, or late at night.
It also makes my amp work better with my electric guitar, wich is a nice bonus as well.

I picked it up a couple of months ago for a cheap price, so I didn't expect much, but it's fun for playing around with and trying some effects. I wouldn't use it live, but live I like my sound clean, so that's not really an issue

Next up is my amp.

Iíve been using my Markbass mini CMD 121 for more than 2 years now, and I must say Iím still very happy with it. The sound is exactly what I have in my head on how my bass should sound.
Itís also fun to see the looks of people after they realize how loud it goes. I managed to get by at a gig where they amplified the drums, but forgot to amplify me. I didnít even had to go to 11.

This combo is also incredible to transport. It fits easy in every car with still leaving lots of space for drums/guitar amps/keyboards/trombones/Ö and on top of that itís really easy to transport when taking public transportation or even by foot. Itís really everything I need.

In the future I might add another NY121 or NY 122, but I donít really need that at this moment.

At this moment Iíve got 2 basses. Iíll start of with my main bass

My pride and joy, my Maruszczyk custom frog 6.
About a year and half ago I deceided I wanted to get ahigh quality 6-string bass, since I found myself wanting more range for chordal playing at home on one hand, and the lower notes for my band on the other hand. So I decided to look for companies that made basses I like.
Since I live in Belgium, I quickly gravitated towards the German companies. I found that the Clover Avenger, Sandberg KT and Maruszczyk Frog were models that I liked.
I liked the Frog the most, but I couldnít find any 6-strings, so I decided to send them a mail and Adrian Marusczyk was happy to build me a 6-string frog to my specifications.

Now that the background-story is complete, here are some specs:
- Mahogany body with ash top (and a transparent, matte finish)
- Maple neck with ebony fingerboard
- Delano MM-humbucker (splitable) and single coil
- 2 band Glockengang EQ (switchable to passive mode with tone control)
- 18mm string spacing at the bridge

Here are some more pictures

For those interested in the sound, hereís a live recording of my band:

Thereís also a lower quality recording of a live song I did with my band on my UG profile as well as a home recording, done with my loop pedal.

I recorded an EP with my band with this bass as well, to wich you can listen here:
http://bamboo-avenue.bandcamp.com/
My bass was recorded with 1 clean DI and 1 Sansamp and no amp. I wasnít too fond of the sound of the Sansamp, but hey, the sound engineers knew what they were doing so I donít mind

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
sam_ofzo

My second bass is my very first Ibanez GSR 180 wich I defretted myself. Itís actually a great bass for the price.I havenít got any recordings of it, but it sounds realy decent (although my markbass might have something to do with that).

Here itís pictured with 2 of my old basses, my SR500 and ATK700, wich brings us to my old equipment.

The SR500 was my first bass that wasnít a beginner instrument. Iíve had a good time with it, but I never connected with it as I did with the ATK or my maruszczyk.
I sold it after I got my ATK, since it wasnít getting any playtime.

My ATK I managed to buy for 200 euroís, thatís is really cheap for a í00 Japanes model.

After buying this bass, I just knew bridge humbuckers are what I want in a bass. I realy liked the bass, the specs of this bass have been the greatest influence on my 6-string as well (mahogany body with an ash top, 18mm string spacing, maple neck).
I traded it for an ESP ltd B-206, since I just didnít play it anymore since switching to 6-strings.

This is a bass wich was with me for a very short time.
I traded my ATK for this bass, so I could have a backup bass if, god forbid, something would happen to my Maruszczyk.

I couldnít get along with the narrow string spacing. It just didnít feel right. So I sold this to my sisterís boyfriend, who now also loves 6-string basses.

Not pictured is my ex amp. A warwick Sweet 15.2.
It was a very decent amp. Loud enough for rehearsals and small gigs, cheap, not overly heavy. Just a decent piece of equipment. I sold it together with the SR500, since my Markbass and ATK were all I needed.

As a last piece of equipment, Iím posting my double bass

Since every bass player shpuld at least try to play double bass, I got myself this Hora Student double bass. Itís got a solid top and laminated back and sides. It plays decently.

My intonation isnít spot on, but it is incredible fun to play the double bass.

Iíve also got some guitars, a ukulele, a keyboard and a melodica. They are not pictured, since they donít really belong in the bass forum, do they

EP out now!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
moody git
I bad writing

that Maruszczyk really is beautiful.. how does it play?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
herby190
slaps basses and faces.

I called UROTM for April.

I actually don't have my equipment right now, so it'll probably be easier to do it next month anyways.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
anarkee
oh the horror!

Nice UROTM! Never got around to posting mine for March--maybe I'll grab one of the summer months.

I love the Maruszczyk custom frog 6. What a beautiful bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
sam_ofzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moody git
that Maruszczyk really is beautiful.. how does it play?

It plays really smooth, it's got a wide, yet thin neck. Every fret is really easy playable, as well, as you can see in this picture:

It's not too heavy either, so it won't hurt your shoulders when olaying longer gigs (and it came with a very nice, wide, leather strap).
The only thing that diminishes the playability, is that it's got a slight nek dive when you're playing sitting down and it's resting on your leg. When playing standing up, it balances perfectly, so that's not too much of an issue.

Normal frogs have got 16mm string spacing at the bridge, and I don't like that very much. But I could have it made with 18mm, so that wasn't too much of a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by herby190
I called UROTM for April.

I actually don't have my equipment right now, so it'll probably be easier to do it next month anyways.

I'm really sorry, I checked about 2 weeks ago in the bass forum plan and i was told there was no UROTM planned and I could post one, so I went ahead and posted this one.

EP out now!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
anarkee
oh the horror!

Don't worry sam, its always been a loose schedule anyways.

On the intonation on the upright, I find that marking it off with painter's tape on the side of the fretboard helps, until you get your finger spacing dead on. That being said. even Edgar Meyer has dot markers on the upper frets..

Another thing--get a bow if you don't have one. Nothing get intonation in line like playing with a bow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
Spaz91
Turd polisher

No offense to anyone else who's done UROTM so far, but this is probably my favourite rig I've seen on here. Nice dreads too.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
sam_ofzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkee
Don't worry sam, its always been a loose schedule anyways.

On the intonation on the upright, I find that marking it off with painter's tape on the side of the fretboard helps, until you get your finger spacing dead on. That being said. even Edgar Meyer has dot markers on the upper frets..

[img]

Another thing--get a bow if you don't have one. Nothing get intonation in line like playing with a bow.

I'll probably put on some masking tape on the side of the fretboard as reference points. I've got a bow, to help me with the intonation. It's getting better, and it's lots of fun playing, so I just keep on practicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
No offense to anyone else who's done UROTM so far, but this is probably my favourite rig I've seen on here. Nice dreads too.

Thanks!

EP out now!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
fleajr_1412
UG Board King

Is it wrong that I'm more jealous of your dreads than your gear? Nice rig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding

MY BAND

Bands you need to listen to:

Don Broco
Lower Than Atlantis
Old 04-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
herby190
slaps basses and faces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_ofzo
I'm really sorry, I checked about 2 weeks ago in the bass forum plan and i was told there was no UROTM planned and I could post one, so I went ahead and posted this one.
It's cool; my equipment has all been at our practice space for awhile anyways, since we've been preparing for a show that's coming up, so the pictures would be pretty minimal. Actually, now that I think about it, I could post a live vid from the show as a demo of the rig.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
shmbluh12

Nice rig! I want an ATK like that

Just btw, where in Belgium do you live?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
sam_ofzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by herby190
It's cool; my equipment has all been at our practice space for awhile anyways, since we've been preparing for a show that's coming up, so the pictures would be pretty minimal. Actually, now that I think about it, I could post a live vid from the show as a demo of the rig.

That seems like a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmbluh12
Nice rig! I want an ATK like that

Just btw, where in Belgium do you live?

It was an amazing bass, but I just didn't play it enough to justify keeping it anymore.
I'm from a town very close to Brussels, why are you asking?

EP out now!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
shmbluh12

Just wondering, I live in Belgium too.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #15
sam_ofzo

My band just put a little clip online with my rig in action.

You don't really see my equipment that often, but I felt like sharing

Edit: if this is against the rules, I'm sorry and I will remove this post

EP out now!

Last edited by sam_ofzo : 04-05-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
herby190
slaps basses and faces.

I like the active basslines, and the horn section is really cool.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:09 AM   #17
red_hot_chili18
Russian Circles.

What type of ATK did you have? Mine's an ATK200 and i LOVE it do you use the Markbass combo when playing live?

www.hourglasspromo.co.uk - live music promotion website, 'av a gander!!!

I'm selling an Ibanez BTB 24 fret limited edition bass for £150, PM me.

PSN: BenGarbutt1989
Old 08-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
sam_ofzo

I believe it was an ATK700 (the '00 model).

I do use the markbass combo when playing live, it's loud enough for everything i encountered sofar and it's got a great DI.

EP out now!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #19
red_hot_chili18
Russian Circles.

I may have to look into getting one myself.... Thanks for getting back to me

www.hourglasspromo.co.uk - live music promotion website, 'av a gander!!!

I'm selling an Ibanez BTB 24 fret limited edition bass for £150, PM me.

PSN: BenGarbutt1989
Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #20
Spaz91
Turd polisher

I might do my UROTM.. well maybe if I actually had something that could be called a rig.

Rate This Thread: