Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
thetoneranger

Any Egnater Armegeddon owners out there??

Im seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on this but I just wish i could try one first. So who has experience with these and what do you think about them? I play everything from rock to metal.
thetoneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

It's a great amp but honestly you're better off getting something used if you can. The ISP noise gate works perfectly and it's packed full of features the tone controls are very responsive and it sounds massive eats my 6505+ alive.

Do you have a budget and where are you from?

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I've played the Armageddon and own a Vengeance, and both are awesome amps. The main difference is a few features, and the Vengeance has a slightly darker tone to it. Both amps will easily cover everything from the cleanest cleans to the heaviest of metals.

If you're looking for some recommendations on amps in general, though, you should give us the following information:

Budget?
New or Used?
Will you be playing with a drummer and/or at live gigs?
Where are you located?
What genres do you play and what bands do you base your tone off of?
What is your current gear?
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
thetoneranger

Thanks for replies guys....I did have a new amp thread a few weeks ago and this was one of the recommendations in it. There just so many to choose from and I cant try them all and I seem to keep coming back to this one although Ive never played it. I am looking at one used.

@axsilentxline, do you own or just played it? what cab did you play it through? I have a orange 2x12 and it seems alot of people recommend the matching cab although i wont be able to get that, not yet anyway. It honestly slays your 6505? Is it becasue of the cleans and features or is the tone just that much better? youtube videos can be decieving....

@blktiger is see you have retro 30 cab which are v30 clones right? Thats good to know because they say both amps are voiced similar although the vengeance is a little darker as you confirm.
thetoneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoneranger
Thanks for replies guys....I did have a new amp thread a few weeks ago and this was one of the recommendations in it. There just so many to choose from and I cant try them all and I seem to keep coming back to this one although Ive never played it. I am looking at one used.

@axsilentxline, do you own or just played it? what cab did you play it through? I have a orange 2x12 and it seems alot of people recommend the matching cab although i wont be able to get that, not yet anyway. It honestly slays your 6505? Is it becasue of the cleans and features or is the tone just that much better? youtube videos can be decieving....

@blktiger is see you have retro 30 cab which are v30 clones right? Thats good to know because they say both amps are voiced similar although the vengeance is a little darker as you confirm.

I own an Armageddon and play it through an Orange 4x12 and an Engl 4x12 with V60's. I play modern metalcore and it just is more open and dynamic than a 6505

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Yeah, the Retro 30's are a V30 Clone, more or less. I've played the Vengeance through a Mesa Recto 2x12 with V30's, too. They sound great with V30-based speakers. The Retro 30 kinda balances out the darkness of the amp a bit.

It'll work fine with an Orange 2x12. You'll have no issue getting amazing tone with that combo.

I personally have tried both the 6505 and Armageddon, and I prefer the Egnaters to the 6505, too. The cleans are much better, it's much more versatile, the features are better, and the tone is just more articulate and clear than a 6505. I've never boosted mine, and I get nice, chunky, tight palm mutes with no issue. With a boost in front, it could saily chugga as good as a 6505.

Just like the 6505, though, both of these amps really benefit from a new set of tubes inthe preamp. I personally recommend JJ ECC83S tubes in everything except the Phase Inverter, which you should run a JAN Phillips 5751. If you play the amp when you get it, and it sounds just a little bit too dark, then you can put a Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1 to brighten it up a bit. I personally run Tung Sols inV1 and V2 on the Vengeance.

If you retube the Power Tubes, just grab JJ 6L6GC tubes.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: