Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
ciadude2

Your Metal Rig

Hey guys I'm something of a gear nut, and I don't post very often or play with other musicians a whole lot(locally we seem to have nothing but generic scene kid hardcore bands that think 30 watt Spider IIIs are gig worthy) so I was curious what you all have in your rigs. I don't post too often so I'm sorry if this has been done before. Formatting might be helpful so... I'll see if I can come up with one that isn't crap. If you don't feel like sticking to the format then just do whatever you want to. And try to stick with the gear you use for your metal playing. If you play all of your metal with a hollow body through a Roland Jazz Chorus with a Digitech distortion pedal all the power to you.

Primary Genre: (subgenres are fine, if you're symphonic groove black metal then that's what you are).

Guitar: (brand, model, pickups, you know the drill)

Rig: Amps, cabs, pedals, and whatever else you use. Can't shred without a garden gnome on top of your stack? Let us know!

Desired Rig: What changes would you make to your current setup? Got a piece of gear you're dying to get but can't for whatever reason?

I'll start -

Primary Genre: Melodic Death Metal(Sort of like a smoother At the Gates type of sound mixed with post rock style leads)

Guitar: Schecter ATX Blackjack C-7, Seymour Duncan Blackouts, tuned BEADGbe

Rig: 1. 6505+ head on a Marshall JCM900 4x12 with a Ibanez TS9DX in front and an MXR 10 Band EQ in the effects loop; 2. Line 6 DT50 2x12 with a Pod HD500 in front.

Desired Rig: I'd like an a Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab in place of my Marshall cabinet because I prefer the sound of V30 speakers but no one around here has the money to buy it at a decent price(it's in good condition, made in the 90s in England, and the only local music store offered $200 for it) and I don't have the space for both cabinets in my studio area.

It'd also be cool to have a really high end head like an Engl.

So how about you guys?
ciadude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
dash-rendar

Primary Genre: Metal (can't really classify it, as I steal from a little bit of everything)

Guitar(s): Washburn RX22 with Seymour Duncan Jazz and Dimebucker in neck and bridge respectively; stock Ibanez ARC300. Washburn is drop-C#/standard down half step, Ibanez is drop-D/standard

Rig: Randall RG75 G3 Plus amplifier 75 watt combo with a Boss TU-3, CE-5, DD-7 and AC-3, and a Dunlop ZW45 wah pedal out front, all housed in a Boss compact pedalboard set up.

Desired rig: Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier head into a Mesa 4x12 cab with all my previous pedals and maybe an overdrive of some sort for leads.
dash-rendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Primary Genre: I primarily write metal. I guess you could call it progressive or groovy or whatever but I just call it metal (sort of an August Burns Red kind of sound mixed with a Veil of Maya type thing if I had to make comparisons).

Guitar: 1. Ibanez S2170FB Prestige in Drop C tuning (putting a D Activator in the bridge when I get the time). 2. Ibanez RG2EX1 in Drop D/E standard.

Rig: 1997 Peavey 5150 2x12 combo with an Ibanez TS9 in the front along with an ISP Decimator. I primarily use Monster cables sheerly because I like the way the jacks are one piece (just a preference thing) and use Dunlop Tortext picks preferably.

Desired Rig: As of now, I have no real desires for my rig but if I could nitpick I'd get an EQ pedal and a Korg PitchBlack for tuning up front and maybe a chorus or something to get a decent clean tone out of it but the cleans are much better than I expected from it, especially after tweaking and playing the 6505 heads which have much harsher cleans. A Mesa rectifier 2x12 cabinet loaded with V30's would be great under my 5150 just to get those different tones out of it.
Peavey 5150 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
BURNTHEPRIEST94
Tom Konidas

Primary Gear: Metalcore/Deathcore (The heavy shit)

Guitars: 1. Jackson RR24, EMG 81, Ebony Fret, ORIGINAL Floyd, Drop B
2. Agile Septor Elite 727 (7 String), Seymore Duncan Blackouts, Ebony Fret, 27' Scale, tunned to drop A.

Rig: Randall RG100SC, Randall RF4G3, Boss NS-2, Planet Waves Cables, Boss TU-3, Dunlop Jazz III

Desired Rig: Peavey 6505+ head, Vader 4x12 Carnage Cab, Maxon OD808 or Ibanez TS9 (Not sure wich one is better), Axe FX II (For Cleans and for crazzy FX, The cleans on the peavey are a little blehh)
Old 04-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Zacky_Gates

Primary Genre: some metalcore and stuff like that. i'm heavily influenced by Avenged Sevenfold, Trivium, Bullet for my Valentine and Escape the Fate. not really metal but i also play a lot of hard rock

Guitar: Drop C - Ibanez RG-160b stock. soon i'll be getting a Ibanez ART-100
Drop C#/Eb Epi les paul studio or my Gibson Les Paul Firebrand all stock
if i'm feeling adventurous i'll play in Drop A or Drop G on my 7 string an Ibanez RG-7321

Rig: I just recently got a Jet City JCA-20H which is a HUGE upgrade from my Marshall MG30. i have the matching 2x12 with the Jet City and i will be getting a Kustom KG210 for my cleans for my band. pedals? i just have some basic distortions, a crybaby, tuner, noise gate and i'll be getting a tubescreamer, small clone chorus and a behringer 7 band EQ soon.

Desired Rig: i would love either a Jet City JCA-100H or a Peavey 6505 head with a 4x12 and a Roland Jazz Chorus and a new and more organized pedalboard.

Gibson 1980 Les Paul Firebrand
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Ibanez RG-160b
Sx Furrian
Ibanez RG-7321
Jet City JCA20H + Bugera 212V-BK
Zacky_Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I play progressive groove metal. I'm not really sure who influences me, because the music I write doesn't have any familiar traits of any band I listen to. If I had to guess my biggest influences, I guess I'd say Mark Morton from Lamb of God, and Per Eriksson from Bloodbath.

My rig is simply my H-301 (Drop C, BKP & Gibson pickups) into my Vypyr Tube half stack with my Sanpera II. Live Wire cables. Aww yeah. Simple as hell, versatility for days, and powerful tone.

EDIT: In all of it's cell phone quality, shitty lighting goodness:

I used to have a 5150 with a bunch of pedals, but that got old really fast. I love the Vypyr to death because everything is built in, right there. My entire rig is just 3 pieces of gear.

I can understand a simple rig if you have one or two distinct sounds, but with the music I write, I actually do use a heavy distorted tone, a crunch tone, and two different clean tones in my songs. Not to mention some cool FX here and there. Given how much money I have, the Vypyr Tube is the best amp out there for me.

I research a little bit every day, trying to find out what's next for me. Every thing out there always falls short some how, and I don't want an Axe FX simply because I hate the idea/look of a rack setup. My next move will most likely be a Marshall DSL w/ a POD HD500, or nothing at all until I somehow have enough money for a Road King. That's my dream amp, but it's expensive as nobodies business.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 04-11-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
xlRainlx
The Black Raven

Hahaha I think everyone wants a Rectifier, Dash

My turn!

Primary Genre: Melodic Death Metal(Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy, Amon Amarth) and Industrial Cyber Metal(like Sybreed)

Guitars: Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR with Seymour Duncan Blackouts tuned to C# standard

Schecter Sunset Custom FR Prototype with Duncan Designed Active HB-105 tuned to Drop B flat tuning

Epiphone 7 String Flying V with a Seymour Duncan JB Lead in the bridge tuned to B standard

Rig: Peavey 6505 with a BOSS TU-2 going to a Dunlop Cry Baby Wah and out to Peavey 6505 Amp Head then out to a Marshall 1960a Cab

Desired Rig: I would really love a Rectifier like how Dash said but budget wise, I would love to have my guitar>Ibanez Tube Screamer>Dunlop Cry Baby>Peavey 6505>Send>Boss Digital Delay>Boss Reverb>Return>Marshall 1960a

That or an ENGL Powerball!

Choose your steel. Be the hero or die the fool.
Just face me on this burning bridge and show me
which side you choose.

Last edited by xlRainlx : 04-09-2012 at 10:24 AM.
xlRainlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
iheartgun
UG's user of common sense

primary genre: i mostly write metal music its a cross breed of killswitch engage and coheed and cambria. i just call it metal though.

guitars: epiphone 58 explorer with seymore duncan jb/59 setup standard tuning, ibanez rg7320z seven string stock pups and tuned down 1/2 step, fender tele (nothing special), prs se custom w/ emg 81/85 floats between standard and drop c# depending on song, hondo ii professional les paul dimarrzio pups and standard tuning.

rig: crate blue voodoo 120h ( currently set up as a 60 watter with 2 power tubes removed) b52at412, boss gt10 that is being run in the 4 cable method to split the signal to the fx loop and the front of the amp. i dont use the gt10 preamp just eq, boost, modulation and stuff like that. all the gain is from the amp. bbe sonic stomp, morley mark tremonti wah.

desired rig:

peavey 5150 2 run into a custom avatar cab in white with v30's in it, i think id keep the gt10 as well since i know how to make it do what i want.

Guitars
Epiphone 58' explorer(jb/59)
ltd ex-260(emg81/60)
ltd m400nt(t2/liquifire)
78 hondo2 les paul
85 peavey horizon 2

Board
i has pedulz lots of pedulz
iheartgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
captainsnazz
#coldcum

Primary Genre: I guess you could call it progressive metal, but there's a lot of fusion involved and some electronic stuff too.

Guitar: Schecter Damien Elite 8. F#BEADGBE/EAEADGBE

Rig: Through Line6 Toneport GX into my Macbook, processed by Gearbox (POD Farm's predecessor - I just prefer the interface) and some stuff I did in Max/MSP, then out straight to monitors/desk. I also have a Behringer FCB1010 foot controller that I use to change patches and switch stuff in max.

Desired Rig: Pretty much how it is. I'd rather not take my laptop on stage, but I can't see a feasible solution to this at the moment. I'd like an Axe-FX but I need the Max/MSP stuff really anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
If they didn't want to be objectified they shouldn't have been little sluts.

Ego Sig

Last edited by captainsnazz : 04-09-2012 at 10:29 AM.
captainsnazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
Ett-tusen

Primary Genre: Symphonic Metal

Guitar: Primary a Schecter Demon 6 with duncan designed actives, but I also use a Jackson RR-3,
it too has duncan designed.

Current Rig: Currently using a Bugera 333 combo with a Line 6 Pod HD400 for most of my effects.

Desired Rig: I'd like to get a new amp, perhaps an Engl Invader together with an Engl E412 of some kind,
a couple of pedals, a delay and compressor for sure, then I'd pretty much be content. Though,
a multifx more like the Pod HD Pro, Pod HD500 or Axe FX wouldn't hurt to have instead of dozens of pedals.
Ett-tusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
blackie13

Primary Genre:Hard rock-Classic Heavy Metal-Speed Metal

Guitar:Custom Made Bullseye Charvel Star with one Bare Knuckle VHII

Current Rig: Modded Bugera 6262 - Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks - Line6 g30 wireless

Desired Rig: nothing,I'm good.
blackie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
The Neighbor of the Beast

Primary Genre: Punk/Hardcore (80's style)

Guitars:
Primary: Gibson SG Special II w/Seymour Duncan Distortion Mayem Set (SH-6 Matched set)
Backup: Epiphone SG (exactly the same as the Gibby, but has a downgraded neck) SH-6 in the bridge position and a stock pup in the neck position

Gig Rig:
Egnator Armageddon w/Mesa Recto 4x12 Slant Cab.

Backup Amp:
5150 (60w Combo converted to Head) w/Maxon OD808

Desired Rig: None.

Last edited by 667 : 04-09-2012 at 10:48 AM.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
Originally Posted by 667
5150 (60w Combo converted to Head) w/Maxon OD808

Not trying to hijack the thread, but how easy was it to turn your 5150 combo into a head? I've got a 5150 combo myself and have always been curious
Peavey 5150 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
The Neighbor of the Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauser
Not trying to hijack the thread, but how easy was it to turn your 5150 combo into a head? I've got a 5150 combo myself and have always been curious

It was very easy. PM me and I will send you instructions.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #15
monwobobbo

i play 70s-early 80s style metal (i guess what is called classic metal these days) stuff like early Judas Priest, Blue Oyster Cult and Rainbow (dio era) and some of the NWOBHM bands like Diamond Head and Angel Witch.

Main Guitar : late 80s Fender Stratocaster Plus Deluxe with Lace Sensor pickups (blue, silver, silver).

Amp : Peavey Valveking 112

FX : Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive

Morley Classic Wah

Lovepedal Gen 5 Delay

Deltalab Phaser

of course this is the same gear i use to play other styles as well.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #16
ciadude2

Awesome, I managed to start a good thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ett-tusen
Primary Genre: Symphonic Metal

Guitar: Primary a Schecter Demon 6 with duncan designed actives, but I also use a Jackson RR-3,
it too has duncan designed.

Current Rig: Currently using a Bugera 333 combo with a Line 6 Pod HD400 for most of my effects.

Desired Rig: I'd like to get a new amp, perhaps an Engl Invader together with an Engl E412 of some kind,
a couple of pedals, a delay and compressor for sure, then I'd pretty much be content. Though,
a multifx more like the Pod HD Pro, Pod HD500 or Axe FX wouldn't hurt to have instead of dozens of pedals.

Depending on your budget and what you need to do with it, I'd probably recommend sticking with the Pod HDs over the Axe FX. If you have money to spare, sure go for the Axe FX, it's awesome and I wish I had one, but the HDs are much cheaper and can still hold their own among high end gear. You might be fine just sticking with your HD400 though. I can't remember off the top of my head what effects it doesn't have that the HD500 does, but it isn't many. If you do a lot of weird experimental stuff you may want to upgrade to the HD500 though because it can use twice as many effects at a time.
ciadude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #17
GS LEAD 5

Primary Genre: Progressive metal with elements of djent and ambient

Guitar: LTD H51 and MH100QM, all stock

Rig: RP500, Peavey KB4, pug.

Desired Rig: Ibanez RG2228, ESP Horizon 7, Fractal Audio Axe Fx II, some sort of flat SS poweramp/powered FRFR speakers, Mesa Boogie Roadking II with regular Recto 412 for teh mojo.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #18
Perverockstar69

Primary genre: Alternative Metal (I'm influenced by lots of styles and genres).

Guitar: LTD Viper-500

Rig: Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic head, 2x15 Fender Bassman cab (borrowed), Jim Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, MXR Carbon Copy.

Desired rig: My 2x12 + 2x15 custom made cabinets loaded with Weber speakers, Charvel San Dimas Style 1 or a super-modified Fender Stratocaster.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
zilant

Genre: Metal. (amon amarth, Pantera, other stuff)

Guitar: Schecter Damien fr (this guitar blows mad hard )

Rig: Peavey 5150 combo. Nice and Simple. Peavey vypyr W/Sanpera if I'm feeling frisky.

Desired Rig:Amfisound Routa Kelo, and either a Mark V or Recto.
zilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy

Genre: technical metal-core and post-metal

Guitars: Maverick F-1 w/ Floyd Rose. Duncan Distortion in the bridge CGCFAD
Epiphone Les Paul (stock) EADGBE/DADGBE
Samick Flying V BF#BEG#C#

Rig: Marshall JVM410H to a Trace Elliot 4x10 bass cab
Marshall JCM800 2x12 combo
Boss TU2-> Morley Power Wah/ Volume-> Boss OC2-> Boss DS1-> Wee Fuzz-> EHX Micro Synth-> Boss NS2-> ABY Foot switch to amps. JVM effects loop: Boss PH3-> Ibanez CF7-> Boss CH1-> Boss DD20.

I want: lots more pedulz. MXR Dynacomp, Carbon Copy and Phase 90. EHX Little Big Muff. Ibanez Airplane flanger. Digitech Whammy. Boss EQ20 BD2 RV5 TR2 PS5 and some expression and foot pedals. Ernie Ball VP Junior. And some hand built pedals.

I want some bare knuckle miracle mans for both the V and les Paul. And I really really REALLY want an 8 string
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
TU2=>MXR SUPER COMP=>WHAMMY IV=>TIMMY=>MXR 10 BAND=>NS2=>FX LOOP=>PH3=>DD20
loki_lulamen is online now   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: