Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #21
Haures
Charmendar

You need to remind him of the drummers main job. That is to keep the band in the right beat. If he can't do it, then might as well play without one. Tell him to lay off the fills, and try mastering the song before adding anything else.

GRAY RAINBOW

Haures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #22
Qasdelo
DIDNEY WORL

For my band's drummer,we learned pretty quickly that he couldn't be leashed easily because of his beat creativity. When he did his try-out, we actually limited the kit down to a kick, hi-hat, snare and crash to ensure things that your drummer does wouldn't happen to us. No toms, no rides, just the very basics. He still impressed vastly, but didn't complain until we gave him the okay and welcome into the band. He figured we were really testing him, and I personally don't regret it.

I'd suggest taking my path since it worked for me, but I obviously don't know your drummer well enough to know how he'd cope with a stripped down set and criticism. In the worst case, if he dissapoints with a minimal kit, you at least have a valid reason to let him go.
Qasdelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #23
Srossor

do what gnr did to steven adler, hide all his drums save the snare kick and hi-hats
Srossor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #24
christianonbass

He sounds like many rockers--Good at rocking out on his instrument but immature as a musician. I like the suggestions so far: Shrink his set, have think about the whole band and the role of the drummer, and maybe some Ritalin?
Is he by any chance into church. Don't laugh. When I started going on my own accord--not because I had to--I quickly got into playing in the church band. I really learned about the "Feel" of the songs and nuances, and it opened my bass playing up to different styles. There was a bunch of the less-is-more approach as well. Just a thought
christianonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #25
donender
Get back to work

It doesn't matter how skilled he is, if he can't play with the band, it isn't really worth it. When you talk to him, try to make it clear that you are trying to help him; He's gonna have to learn to take criticism like an adult one day, and he has the luxury of being able to learn to take it from a friend, rather than just be slammed with a hard truth or ultimatum by a stranger.

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
donender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #26
theogonia777
Professional Musician

I play bluegrass, ambient drone, and brutal/technical death metal.

I'm not even sure if I know what a drummer is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.

Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - Riffs
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: