Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #21
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrl87
im getting to develop a good musical ear i think anyway, ive worked a few songs from ear and am trying to do it on a more regular basis than look at tabs. ive worked out a couple of foo fighters songs, androids, regurgitator, udioslave and john butler songs and when i figured out run to you by bryan adams i (being told by someone who was obviusly wrong that the first chord of a song is usally what the key of the song is) figued out it was F# minor and all the chords (i played them in fifths only and it sounded good) sat within the F# minor scale and at the end i just mucked around with the f# minor scale and i got a decent improvised solo out of it.

and now i found out im doing it wrong its kinda hard to take
Well first, my ear isn't perfect. (There are many here who have much better ear training and ability). So, it's only cheating a little bit, to use tabs to "fill in the blanks", if you've figured out most of the song by ear, but perhaps have missed a chord or two.

More often than not, a song ends on the tonic, (key) chord, and not quite as often begins on the tonic.

As to Bryan Adams', "Run to You", my guess is that it's in E Major! (ii (F#m), IV (A), I (E), V (B)..... I used the roman numeral for the scale degrees so you can begin to get used to them. In regular numbers that's; m2, 4, 1, 5. The song is a bit atypical in progression, and there's a repeat and fade, so you don't get a big tonic "blang" at the end, which obscures the key a bit.

The second very salient point about that song is that it's played with a capo on the 2nd fret!! So what's actually being played is: Em, G, D, A, and the capo gives us F#m, A, E, B! If you try it that way, you'll see it's way easier to get the verse arpeggio, (ii, IV, ii, IV, etc.) to sound like the record.

Now, F# minor, (or A major) is perfectly acceptable for an improv over E major, as long as you're mindful of the note "D". In E major, it's a D#! However, in a rock vamp, you'd probably ignore D# anyway, since it's a major 7th interval. By ignoring that D#, you've gotten closer to the E major pentatonic scale!

Even with all that said, it would be perfectly acceptable to think of much of the song as being in F# minor/ A major anyway......HOWEVER, if you were going to transcribe the song into sheet music, it would be written in the Key of E major! The reason for this is simple. The B major is played quite often, B major contains the note D#! D# is in the key signature of E major, but not in A major/ F# minor! So, you'd have to write an accidental every time that chord is called for. Whereas, written in E major, the only accidental note called for, is the D natural in the D major chord.

Look over this chord version of, "Run to You": http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/b..._to_you_crd.htm

A second stand out feature of this song is the huge D major chord they play before entering the chorus! It's out of the basic key of E, sounds out of key, yet sounds perfectly beautiful! (With a capo on the 2nd fret, that's going to be a huge C major open chord, across all 6 strings).

Since you seem to like Bryan Adams, (tentatively), why not try to figure out, "Summer of '69", get back to us, and tell us what you've learned.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 09-24-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: