Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #21
its_minchew

ok, you'll probably get a lot more help if you post pictures. Surely someone would be able to identify it for you if nothing else.
its_minchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #22
Metal_Mesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by you15
No because if it isnt plywood, because its not soft. The wood is on my guitar is hard and solid

Pine is a relatively soft wood. It is softer than e.g. ash or ebony. Saying it is soft doesn't mean it is a soft like a pillow or something, just that it is soft for being a wood.

Fender Blacktop Telecaster|Epiphone Junior SG|Ibanez Lawsuit Strat|anelectro '63|Eagle tele w/ P-90s|Duke LP-copy|Cort B2A bass|Ibanez AW-40TCS
Metal_Mesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #23
Iblis92
Lyricist/guitarist noob

I have a silvertone bass. I dont think id play it live, but for what I require of it, its good.
Im not sure about their guitars, but that bass they made (they only made one) it can take a helluva beating.
However, the knobs and pickguard came loose. but oh well.

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
Iblis92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #24
rschleicher

There's a lot of bad (or partly correct) info above...

Silvertone was a brand name owned by Sears. In the 60's and into the 70's Sears sold Silvertone guitars that were made by Danelectro (of Neptune, NJ), and also by Harmony Guitars of Chicago - different models, sold in different years, but with some overlap. (Towards the end, there were also some Japanese Silvertones made by Teisco.)

Both the Danelectros and Harmony's were pretty low-priced. The Danelectros were generally built with cheaper materials than the Harmony-built models. Danelectros even used masonite in some models, for example, and some sort of vinyl strapping material to cover the side edges of some models.

Old Danelectros, both under their own name, as well as the Silvertone versions, have a pretty decent sound, though, from their lipstick pickups - Jimmy Page held onto his old Danelectro and used it throughout his Led Zep days for a few numbers - including some of the songs where he bowed the guitar.

This is sort of a typical Danelectro, showing that vinyl edging. Jimmy Page's model is more or less like this.

http://www.vintagesilvertones.com/f...ectro_3021.html

Harmony's were typically built with somewhat better materials, including real mother-of-pearl inlays, decent wood for the fretboards, De'Armond single-coil pups that sound pretty good, etc.

My own Silvertone is a '65 Harmony-guilt Model 1478 "Silhouette", styled to look more or less like a Fender Jaguar - its a red and black burst, with a 3-ply tortoise-shell pickgaurd, bound neck, M-O-P block inlays, and a pair of De'Armonds. All that for $89.95 in the Sears catalog.... (I don't know what a Strat cost in 1965, but maybe $250 or so?)

(Here's a video of my model, but not me: ) Clean tones at the beginning, but a bit of Texas boogie on display after a minute and a half or so.

This site shows a variety of Silvertones, of both Harmony and Danelectro-build:

http://www.vintagesilvertones.com/index.html

One popular Danelectro-built Silvertone line was their amp-in-case line, where a 5W tube amp and 8" speaker (I think that is the speaker size) are built into the guitar case itself.

Harmony made some hollow-body models as Silvertones, most of which are more or less Gretsch-styled. Some of these were called Rocket models. Some of these are pretty nice-sounding as well. And if you go back to the 50's and 40's, there were some Harmony-built acoustics and archtops, I think.

The modern Silvertone name is no real relation to the above old Silvertones.

I also thought the Harmony name was being revived, to make reissues of various old Harmony models. But I couldn't find a link.

Vintage Silvertones, Danelectros, and Harmony's have some fans, both from their own character, as well as due to people remembering them fondly as their first guitar. Obviously not nearly as cool as vintage guitars of better brands, but not worthless either!

Last edited by rschleicher : 04-17-2012 at 07:58 PM.
rschleicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #25
Dr Sixstring
UG's Snips

This thread is stupid. Just saying.

Pedals:
-2007 Digitech Bad Monkey

Amp(s):
-Pignose Amp

UG's Snips
Dr Sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #26
Metal_Mesh

rschleicher: Thank you for that info!

Fender Blacktop Telecaster|Epiphone Junior SG|Ibanez Lawsuit Strat|anelectro '63|Eagle tele w/ P-90s|Duke LP-copy|Cort B2A bass|Ibanez AW-40TCS
Metal_Mesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #27
friendlyindie

I have one of the Samick Silvertones, and unlike the vintage ones, mines complete crap.
friendlyindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #28
nightowl2011

My first guitar was a sunburst Silvertone . Not a bad guitar mind you, but not the best either. Great guitar for a beginner.
nightowl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #29
jugglingfreak
UG Newbie

Silvertones are still around:

http://www.silvertoneguitar.com/
jugglingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: