Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-13-2014, 06:58 AM   #1
nikeul

New Beats By Dr Dre Studio Heaphones Matte Black

Concurrently, Beats announced that the Carlyle Group would make a US$500 million minority investment in the company.The overall deal valued Beats Electronics at US$1 billion and helped HTC turn a net profit of US$10.3 million for the fourth quarter of 2013, following the company's first quarterly loss in company history. The appointment of a new chief operating officer, a role previously filled by Wood,was announced in early November 2013.beats by dre uk Matthew Costello, formerly of IKEA and HTC, was formally appointed into the role in May 2014.When developing the first Beats headphones, Iovine would lay out various prototypes in his Interscope offices and then poll everyone who came to see him. "It was this incredible parade of the world's great artists," says Wood. "M.I.A. or Pharrell Williams or Gwen Stefani or Will.i.am would come around, and I'd ask them, 'What do you think of this one? What about this? What about that?' " says Iovine. "It's not a numbers thing. I go to people with great taste." As he and Dre prepared to launch the final version of Beats, Iovine sent a pair to another world-famous guy: LeBron James. Iovine had been hanging out in the editing room with James's friend and business partner Maverick Carter during the development of a documentary on the basketball star. "Mav called me back and says, 'LeBron wants 15.' " Iovine sent them, and they turned up on the ears of every member of the 2008 U.S. Olympic basketball team when they arrived in Shanghai. "Now that's marketing," says Iovine."

When we look at marketing for our year ahead, we don't look at what products have the best margin or which ones sell best--that's detrimental to progress and innovation," says Wood. "We ask, 'What do we think the consumer should learn about?' " This year, they're talking a lot about wireless speakers and headphones--"We want to teach people that Bluetooth can sound good," says Wood."I always go back to my experience in the music business," says Wood. Today, as then, Wood looks for the "tug"--the little sign that he has a hit. Then he trusts his gut, and doubles down. Back in the day, a tug could be an album that gets sudden critical acclaim or a band that suddenly sells a lot of merchandise at its gigs. Now, he says, he gets the same sense from how fans--and Iovine and Dre's music-industry buddies--respond to Beats's ads and products. When an ad featuring Brooklyn Nets star Kevin Garnett with the slogan "Hear What You Want" got a big response on Twitter--and Iovine got complimentary emails from none other than Will.i.am and rapper P. Diddy--"we knew we had something," says Wood.

When Iovine heard Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines," he smelled a hit--for Beats Electronics. Iovine and Wood got the rights to use the song in an ad and then got Thicke to reshoot the music video--within five days of the original shoot. Then Wood phoned up the CEO of RadioShack and offered to make the ad a dual promotion; RadioShack partly footed the bill. Beats has moved even faster. The Sunday before Black Friday 2012,beats studio wireless phoned Iovine: He had just recorded a single with Britney Spears--would it make a good Beats ad? Within 72 hours, Beats filmed Will.i.am and cut a new Black Friday commercial with the song; it aired during Thanksgiving football games. "We got to break a new song, and Will.i.am got millions of dollars in broadcast advertising exposure," says Wood.Co-marketing deals with big brands are a big part of the Beats playbook. Since the beginning, they have put Beats audio in products ranging from HP laptops to Chrysler 300s to HTC cell phones--and Beats has enjoyed plenty of the big guys' marketing muscle along the way. "We sold half a billion worth of product before we paid for one ad," says Iovine."

I'm always thinking about what Beats is not, about what's missing," says Iovine. "When you succeed, don't think you've done this incredible thing. Stay focused on the product. I never collected the gold records of the albums I engineered." (Iovine has worked for U2 and Tom Petty.) "My father asked me why I never put them up. I said, 'Dad, they haunt me. I can't think about anything yesterday.' " In 2008, Monster, a tech company best known for overpriced cables, teamed up with Dr Dre, the legendary hip-hop artist and producer who helped bring Snoop, Eminem, 50 Cent and Kendrick Lamar to the masses. Just five years later you can look around any playground, train carriage or suburban mall to see the result, and it starts with a lower-case b: Beats by Dre headphones have locked down the market. The numbers are astonishing. According to a recent piece in the Wall Street Journal, Beats revenues increased fivefold between 2010 and 2012 alone, hitting the $US1 billion mark.

As of this summer, some 59 per cent of high-end headphones sold in the US bear the Beats logo. All this despite the fact that the audiophile press has often viewed Beats as underwhelming - or worse - and overpriced. Dre and his co-founder Jimmy Iovine, who together control 75 per cent of the company, intend to get Beats not just onto our heads but into our homes and automobiles by expanding into "speakers, audio systems in cars and consumer electronics, and a soon-to-be-launched online streaming music service," as the Wall Street Journal reported. Which is hardly new. Headphones have been as much a fashion statement as a mini-sound-system at least since the canary-yellow Sony Sports Walkman. Upstarts like Skullcandy (makers of "the world's coolest earbud", per Forbes in 2008) and WeSC (whose wares landed in a Vogue fashion spread) made a mint with a Swatch-like approach to design, featuring big, bold colours in ever-changing combinations.
nikeul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
Rickholly74

Beats headphones are OK if all you want to do is listen to mp3 audio on your phone, tablet or mp3 device but for real quality sound they are awful. The are EQ'd with extreme bass and treble and can't be relied on for any real pro monitoring. Your mixes might sound awesome on Beats headphones but will sound terrible on normal speakers or studio monitors. Strange that two of the biggest producers in the business are responsible for this stuff.
Rickholly74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: