Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #21
francesco18
galloping E|-0-0-0-0

In the ''total hack'' category = Jack White hands down.

Also Kirk Hammett... he's wrote some memorable solos in the studio, but live is often sloppy as hell and his tone is just terrible.

Michael Gira in a nutshell
francesco18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #22
roushsn95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamight
Also, Jimi Hendrix.

I highly disagree with you. Name another guitarist as influential, original, and innovative. The guy directly and indirectly influenced an entire generation of guitarists. Oh yeah, and his music kicked ass. Saying Jimi Hendrix is overrated is overrated.

Cobain is overrated as a player. However, he is highly influential thats why he usually gets ranked pretty high.

I think Santana is overrated. Granted he's completely original, influential, has a very distinct sound and made great music but he's not very versatile.
roushsn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #23
XXXguitarman

Kurt cobain
XXXguitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #24
romencer17
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethkins
Slash is not overrated. try learning a song like paradise city. plus being good at guitar isnt about speed its about how tasteful the music is.

yes, and slash's playing is boring and not tasteful at all.

Sumdeus
romencer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enix165
Well, nothing against the guy, he's good, but...Randy Rhoads. Everyone says he's some sort of "master of shred and pioneer of neoclassical" and I mean, sure, he's okay, but I never found anything particularly special about any of his solos except Goodbye To Romance and even on that one, he hits this really ugly out-of-key high bend during it(that said, I love the rest of the solo). Also never really finding anything he did warranting of a "neoclassical" title, there's Dee, okay, but it's 50 seconds. Rush and Black Sabbath had been doing that variety of thing in much greater quantity during the 70s, you don't hear anyone proclaiming Alex Lifeson and Tony Iommi to be kings of neoclassical. xD Again, Rhoads isn't a *bad* guitarist, but...really overrated to me at least.

I never liked Satriani but that's just a personal thing. He can absolutely play, I'm just not particularly a fan of his music.

Finally, I'm not sure if this even counts because I don't know any guitarists who actually like him(just girls who pretend to like metal to get emo boyfriends who just pretend to like metal too, and fangirl over him because he's the only one in the band they know, and the stereotypical 13 year-olds with cheap BC Riches/Deans), but Kerry King. Like...I like me some Slayer, don't get me wrong. But this guy, aside from being able to play power chords really fast(and...well, 90% of the guitarists I know can do that), really doesn't seem to have any knowledge of what a guitar is. The press seems to love him though, and he's got signature freaking everything. Like...C'MON. WHO BUYS THIS STUFF? Hanneman's not exactly a great guitarist either, but he plays circles around Kerry.

Well, I kind of agree with that Randy thing. But you can hear some classical influences on his playing ("Dee", "Revelation" and "Mr. Crowley") that I can't hear in Tony Iommi's playing. He mostly plays E-pentatonic, which sounds great, but I wouldn't consider him as a neo-classical guitarist. Maybe I just haven't heard that much of his playing, but all the solos I have heard him playing have been pretty much pentatonic/blues kind of solos (except "Planet Caravan" that is pretty Jazzy).

But more about Randy... I have started to appreciate his guitar work on the two Ozzy albums after listening to them. I think he is pretty good. But yeah, I agree that he's a bit overrated. Like the solo of "Crazy Train" is nothing special IMO. It's a good solo but it just has that ordinary tapping arpeggios and stuff. Nothing I haven't heard before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethkins
Slash is not overrated. try learning a song like paradise city. plus being good at guitar isnt about speed its about how tasteful the music is.

Slash's solos might not be extremely difficult but why should they? The solos that guitarists of big bands (like Guns N' Roses and AC/DC) play aren't difficult for them. They must be able to play the solo live without any difficulties. Because if you struggle with playing the solo in the studio, there's no way you could play it live. They don't play the hardest solo they could. Slash is so much better guitarist than almost anybody here in UG (so is Kirk Hammett, Angus Young, etc... almost any guitarist in the well known bands). People must realize that no guitarist shows all of his skills when playing solos. And if you think that you're better than Slash because you can play the solo of "Paradise City" and have been playing for like 4 years, I can only say that you have a lot to learn about guitar. (Yeah, I know, I have been playing for three years but that's why I don't say stupid things like that. I'm not saying that somebody here would say things like that but just had to point out.) I like Slash's groovy playing style but calling him "the best guitarist in the world" is a bit overrated. But I like his guitar work on AFD album.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 04-17-2012 at 03:56 PM.
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #26
jac254
Banned

paul gilbert, he's all about speed, not soul
jac254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #27
Foxfan0318

Definitely Yngwie Malmsteen. The first thing I ever heard from him was called "Arpeggios From Hell". I listen to a couple more tracks and realized that "Arpeggios From Hell" could really describe most of what he does. Technically close to perfect, but that's a skill, not music.
Foxfan0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #28
john2223
Banned

Kurt cobain.
john2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #29
Dr Sixstring
UG's Snips

Slash. He hasn't had a good album since AFD. He isn't a bad guitarist, but people act like he's some guitar legend.

Steve Vai. he WAY over uses his tremolo.

Yngwie Malmsteen, alot of his stuff sounds the same, plus he sounds really bad now. Also, he hasn't had a good album since Rising Force, or whatever his first album was called.

Angus Young.

Kirk Hammett, he's just meh.

John Petrucci his alternate picking's amazing, but his music is just bleh.

Edit: Zakk Wylde. He's not that great. His picking hand is horrible.

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer

Last edited by Dr Sixstring : 04-20-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Dr Sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #30
digman50
Pardew can **** off

Pete Townshend
digman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #31
master
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by francesco18

Wha-wha-what?! I think creating your own unique tone, sound, and way of handling the guitar is the hardest part of learning guitar. And Jack did this without even leaving the simplicity of the blues. That's pretty sick imo.

Willing to trade!
master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #32
pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by francesco18

Also Kirk Hammett... he's wrote some memorable solos in the studio, but live is often sloppy as hell and his tone is just terrible.

^This

Never understood all the hubub about Jack White, he's a good player and singer, but you can hear 99% of what he does guitar-wise done better by other older bands.

It irks me that in that "It Might Get Loud Movie" they picked him and the edge to share the spot with Jimmy Page -__- out of ALL the guitarist in the world, them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfirstpubes
Forreal. Tingle was a baller just trying to make a living. He never gave up on the hustle.
pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #33
Killsocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuit
^This

Never understood all the hubub about Jack White, he's a good player and singer, but you can hear 99% of what he does guitar-wise done better by other older bands.

Who? Not sarcastic, but who reminds you in the past of Jack White today?
Killsocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #34
pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killsocket
Who? Not sarcastic, but who reminds you in the past of Jack White today?

Any blues-based classic rock band or blues artists. It's all derivative of that Zeppelin-esque hard blues rock, things that guys like Hendrix did 30 years before his time. Which isn't a bad thing I'm not knocking the guys playing ability, it's just that none of his stuff is really all that innovative, just modern takes on pre-established musical notions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfirstpubes
Forreal. Tingle was a baller just trying to make a living. He never gave up on the hustle.
pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #35
orangepi
UG's Applebloom

eric f***in clapton. I don't have anything bad to say about him. Just tired of hearing about him.
orangepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #36
Mr Y

The Edge, without a doubt, he#s nothing without his effects and pedals. Did you see 'It Might Get Loud', He couldn't even play his own song, he was playing a DM when he was suppose to play a C, and in front of Mr White and Mr Page....embarassing.
Mr Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #37
AussiePage
The One and Olny

Quote:
Originally Posted by digman50
Pete Townshend

I want to hit you with a brick.
AussiePage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #38
metaljaguar
Banned

Slash
metaljaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #39
metaljaguar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXguitarman
Kurt cobain

Cobain wasnt looked at as a great guitarist, its guitar playing is very intermediate, but his message was his legacy. Lyrically he was a genius.
metaljaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #40
J_W

Who ever said Kurt Cobain was a great guitarist? I have never in my life heard someone claim Cobain was a great guitarist.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: