Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #41
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaguar
Cobain wasnt looked at as a great guitarist, its guitar playing is very intermediate, but his message was his legacy. Lyrically he was a genius.

Exactly. He was a great song writer, not to be confused with a great guitarist.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #42
Killsocket

I think he's on Rolling Stone's list, the mag I mean about Cobain.

I don't know if he was high or low on list, but on a list of 100, he should be there somewhere, no?

Edit: pay no attention to my avatar. There is no Weezer, White Stripes, or Black Keys ones.

Last edited by Killsocket : 04-20-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Killsocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #43
DrewMeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killsocket
Edit: pay no attention to my avatar. There is no Weezer, White Stripes, or Black Keys ones.

Sorry to be random, but that would be pretty cool.
DrewMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #44
webber243

A guitar player's music doesnt have to be hard to learn to be great. some brilliant solos are only made up of 4 or 5 notes.
webber243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #45
Ruark

Van Halen
Clapton
Santana
Malsteen
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #46
uziyourillusion
cemetary gates

no such thing as an overrated guitarist. moreover, why make a thread liek this then try and contradict everyone elses opinions you jsut asked for
uziyourillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #47
roushsn95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruark
Van Halen
Clapton

Disagree. Though I agree when people call Clapton "God". Compared to Hendrix, Beck and Page - no way. He did nothing innovative. But definitely not overrated.

I HIGHLY disagree about Van Halen. Like Hendrix, he was another guy that was incredibly innovative and brought the guitar to a whole new level.
roushsn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #48
Ruark

Quote:
Originally Posted by roushsn95
Disagree. Though I agree when people call Clapton "God". Compared to Hendrix, Beck and Page - no way. He did nothing innovative. But definitely not overrated.

I HIGHLY disagree about Van Halen. Like Hendrix, he was another guy that was incredibly innovative and brought the guitar to a whole new level.

I know. But I think sometimes with rock music (if not music in general), certain players become Holy Men, and the slightest hint of negativity towards them elicits gasps of horror. Sort of like a North Korean criticizing Kim Jong-Un....

Such it is with Clapton, in my opinion. He has immense technical prowess, sure, but at the end of the day, it's the music entering your ear that counts. I think Clapton fell off the wagon with "Pilgrim" which is on the album of the same name. He ventures into "concept music" and it just doesn't work. I REFUSE to fall to my knees and put my forehead on the floor just because it's - gasp - Clapton! "Pilgrim" sucks great green donkey dicks in the sky.

I'm not so well versed with Van Halen, although he's another one of the "Gods" who is purportedly beyond criticism. I find his music, taken alone (e.g.without video, without the forehead on the floor) to be a little egotistical. Then, additionally, the sight of him jumping around in candy-striped pajamas without a shirt doesn't help any. It's like he's a 3 year old on the playground yelling, "hey everybody, watch me!"

He has indeed made contributions to the guitar playing universe (FAR more than Clapton), and is worth studying in that regard, but in general, day in and day out, when I just want to put a CD in the player, I don't reach for Van Halen.
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #49
roushsn95

Quote:
Such it is with Clapton, in my opinion. He has immense technical prowess, sure, but at the end of the day, it's the music entering your ear that counts. I think Clapton fell off the wagon with "Pilgrim" which is on the album of the same name. He ventures into "concept music" and it just doesn't work. I REFUSE to fall to my knees and put my forehead on the floor just because it's - gasp - Clapton! "Pilgrim" sucks great green donkey dicks in the sky.

Fair enough. I respect your opinion. I'm not a fan of all his work also. Not everything great artists do is considered great. In fact, in regards to his guitar playing, there are better blues guitarist out there past and present. However, while he's an exceptional guitarist, Clapton's trump card was he could sing and write music. It's not a coincidence he was in some of the most important bands of the 60's and 70's (Cream, The Yardbirds, Derek and the Dominos) that made some incredible music. If you take his whole body of work and what he did for the guitar and blues by bringing it to a large mass audience, he deserves praise IMO.

Quote:
I'm not so well versed with Van Halen, although he's another one of the "Gods" who is purportedly beyond criticism. I find his music, taken alone (e.g.without video, without the forehead on the floor) to be a little egotistical. Then, additionally, the sight of him jumping around in candy-striped pajamas without a shirt doesn't help any. It's like he's a 3 year old on the playground yelling, "hey everybody, watch me!"

He has indeed made contributions to the guitar playing universe (FAR more than Clapton), and is worth studying in that regard, but in general, day in and day out, when I just want to put a CD in the player, I don't reach for Van Halen.

There are things about Eddie that are overrated. There are guys that could run circles around him technically, but Eddie did things on the guitar that were technical and innovative that no one did before him. And he'd been continually innovative throughout most of the bands career. He was no one trick pony. He also had a definitive sound and style that is easily recognized. Not only that, he could come up with some bad ass riffs and music. Lets face it, Van Halen is a bad ass band. Still are. Saw them a couple weeks ago.

You don't have to like their playing or their music or their personalities and antics. But I think you should be objective. Go beyond your perceptions and recognize their immeasurable contributions to the guitar and music.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #50
Ruark

Quote:
Originally Posted by roushsn95
You don't have to like their playing or their music or their personalities and antics. But I think you should be objective. Go beyond your perceptions and recognize their immeasurable contributions to the guitar and music.

Maybe this is picking nits, but if we really want to stay true to the topic, we could ask just what we mean by "overrated." For example, are we talking about undeserved or unearned popularity, i.e. "overmarketed"? Overrated technical prowess? Players with mediocre musical ability but with great "contributions to the field"?
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #51
roushsn95

Quote:
Maybe this is picking nits, but if we really want to stay true to the topic, we could ask just what we mean by "overrated." For example, are we talking about undeserved or unearned popularity, i.e. "overmarketed"? Overrated technical prowess? Players with mediocre musical ability but with great "contributions to the field"?

It's all that or any aspect of someone's playing, ability, music, etc, that makes them overrated. The problem is some people just throw out names and don't give concise reasons why they think someone's overrated.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #52
Dr Sixstring
UG's Snips

How did nobody see my post? JOHN PETRUCCI.

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Dr Sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #53
MarkWilliam

AT the risk of being very controversial I'm going to nominate Jimmy Page and his band as being the most over rated guitar player and band ever.
Don't get me wrong Page was a great player - and Zeppelin on song were awesome, but I never really got the fuss about either. There were better players and bands of the era that just didn't have the masterful management that Zeppelin did.
And I have to admit that my views are tainted because Zeppelin continually claimed classic blues works as their own.
MarkWilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #54
roushsn95

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWilliam
There were better players and bands of the era that just didn't have the masterful management that Zeppelin did.

Examples?

Quote:
And I have to admit that my views are tainted because Zeppelin continually claimed classic blues works as their own.

Exactly.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #55
milliorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Y
The Edge, without a doubt, he#s nothing without his effects and pedals. Did you see 'It Might Get Loud', He couldn't even play his own song, he was playing a DM when he was suppose to play a C, and in front of Mr White and Mr Page....embarassing.

Because he is illiterate in music theory. He never learned the name of notes, chords, etc. Obviously he is a "feel" musician. Many musicians are...

With that said your judging him on an impossible criteria. Most theological, technical musicians have the least soul, style, an are just flat out boring and numbing to listen too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedColdCrazy
I cant help it. I masturbate so fast my hands go back in time and type all sorts of crazy shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Goth is the theatrical element without being a whiny little emo bitch.
milliorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #56
MarkWilliam

[QUOTE=roushsn95]Examples?

In no particular order

Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Bad Company, Yes all meant more to me as bands then Zeppelin

Guitar players
Blackmore, Howe, Beck & Rory Gallager (my all time favorite) all meant more to me than Page
MarkWilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #57
romencer17
UG God

Quote:
In no particular order

Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Bad Company, Yes all meant more to me as bands then Zeppelin

Guitar players
Blackmore, Howe, Beck & Rory Gallager (my all time favorite) all meant more to me than Page

let's argue opinions some more!

Sumdeus
romencer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #58
PinkZepStones

Clapton, Vai, Hammett, particularly metal guitarists, that are technically able, but there is nothing melodic or feeling to any of their songs and i cant describe how bad the man love is other these lot,

Clapton is overrated only because people think hes god, and hes very good but there were a fair few better players IMO.

Slash is an odd one, he was technically brilliant, a riffmaster, and melodic, but he was very inconsistent, most GNR songs in my opinion are substandard albulm fillers, so hes overrated in the sense that hes considered god IMO of course, but he is still a brilliant guitarist.
PinkZepStones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #59
killerbunny11
Banned

Steve Vai
killerbunny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #60
marshallmannen

The thing people don't seem to know about Angus Young is that he's playing with so much effort in hes' vibrato and bends etc. You have to listen really close to all of the perfect little details he puts into everything he does. It's really tight and the notes he chooses to play matches perfectly with the song.

I always hear people telling me they can play an ACDC solo without even trying hard. And that's the problem. You've got to put effort into the notes and bends and try to be dynamic.

Sure. You can play he's solos. But can you play them the right way? Dynamics? Timing? Vibrato? Feeling?

By the way
Paul kossoff , one of the most underrated guitarists there ever was

Last edited by marshallmannen : 05-19-2012 at 06:59 PM.
marshallmannen is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: