Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #61
TomSawyerRush

I gotta go with Angus Young. They give him so much credit but all of AC/DC's songs sound the same. I do like AC/DC but it gets old quick because it all has the same riff or something close to it.
TomSawyerRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #62
W4T3V3R
UG Member

Overrated is a massive word to use.
Some people will never be satisfied, and just think the guitarist they found on youtube that no one else knows is the best ever.

All of the guitarists here have made their mark, for one reason or another they deserve it.

So im gonna go with every person here, as the most overrated guitarist
Old 06-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #63
madonaqueen

Zakk Wylde i must say over rated guitarist
madonaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:43 AM   #64
Shred_Guitar_

Angus Young, Slash, Kurt Cobain, Jack White and (now someone will try to kill me) Jimi Hendrix
Shred_Guitar_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #65
hhhhdmt

Clapton- No where near as creative as Hendrix or as diverse as Beck. His music is boring to me, and while he does deserve a place among the all time top 100 guitarists for his influence, no way is he top 10 material. I have heard much better blues players, like srv or moore. I don't care that he influenced them, to me both moore and srv were much better bluesmen.

Malmsteem- technically brilliant but extremely boring. He showcases his virtouso abilities and doesn't seem to focus on the actual song.
hhhhdmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #66
eGraham
Logjammin'

^ I don't exactly agree with you about Clapton, but I notice that most of his songs never show his true talent. "He doesn't have to show off, we all know he's good." But do we? I can't think of any songs off the top of my head where he truly lets it go.

That being said, I don't have any on-topic input. It's not my place to rate guitarists

I am an equal opportunity banner
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 AM   #67
VoodooWeegee87

If Hendrix were to be alive today, he would even say he's overrated- even in the 60's when interviewers told him that he was the greatest guitar player ever he would decline and say he's far from it
VoodooWeegee87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #68
throne4me

Angus Young
Slash
throne4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:34 AM   #69
MICKEYSTAVER

the Edge for sure, but i dont understand why people are saying jack white. It's not like he is praised like Page type. He is only reconised for a down and dirty blues player and great song writer.
MICKEYSTAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #70
griffin888

Joe Bonamassa. I don't get what some see in him. It's like they've never heard blues before. He isn't that great, and he certainly isn't original.
cause you feel an urge to get some wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
it could turn the wangcaster into a bass.
griffin888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #71
Tyrone N.
UG Newbie

Slash.I'm not saying he is bad, he is amazing, but he is very overrated still.
Tyrone N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #72
martijnsurf

keith richards
Old 07-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #73
JoeGilbertVai

Paul Gilbert is my choice, because he is developing his technique in the past 30 years not just sticking to his the style of which he has been known and He also a versatile guitarist. compare to Yngwie Malmsteen who always stays at the comfort zone of his neo classical stuff.

Last edited by JoeGilbertVai : 07-14-2012 at 03:28 AM.
JoeGilbertVai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #74
jackswaggawagon

I never understand the "The edge would sound like crap without his effects!!" argument. First of all, NO, his tone through those AC30s is unbelievable. Even just on a clean channel. And his technique is really unique.

Second, MOST guitarists would sound worse without their effects. Any heavy metal player without their distortion pedals would sound really stupid (and metal usually sounds pretty dang stupid anyways...) Imagine the comfortably numb solo without any effects?? Not nearly as awesome sounding. The police without chorus? Hendrix without wah?? chickin pickers without compression??? Icky thump without fuzz???? Often times, its the effects that make the songs really great or unique i think. The only rock guitarist i can think of who would probably sound just as good if you removed his effects would be angus young, because he didnt use any.

Third, why the hell does that matter?? So what if he sounds better with his effects, those effects are just as much his way of making music and being creative as his guitar. Not to mention his knowledge of signal processing would absolutely put anyone here to shame. If anything, we should be MORE impressed that he can make such often minimalist guitar parts sound so transcendent and atmospheric just by kicking on a couple stompboxes.

Thats my 2 cents on the edge. As far as overrated guitarists, Id say kirk hammett. But then im kind of biased against metal and terrible guitar tone.
And anyone who says Jimi Hendrix doesnt know what theyre saying. Voodoo child might be the greatest hard rock guitar performance ever, and he played it before hard rock was even a genre.

Last edited by jackswaggawagon : 07-10-2012 at 08:36 PM.
jackswaggawagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #75
semiquaver555

Steve Vai for sure.
semiquaver555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #76
jdude799

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackswaggawagon
I never understand the "The edge would sound like crap without his effects!!" argument. First of all, NO, his tone through those AC30s is unbelievable. Even just on a clean channel. And his technique is really unique.

Second, MOST guitarists would sound worse without their effects. Any heavy metal player without their distortion pedals would sound really stupid (and metal usually sounds pretty dang stupid anyways...) Imagine the comfortably numb solo without any effects?? Not nearly as awesome sounding. The police without chorus? Hendrix without wah?? chickin pickers without compression??? Icky thump without fuzz???? Often times, its the effects that make the songs really great or unique i think. The only rock guitarist i can think of who would probably sound just as good if you removed his effects would be angus young, because he didnt use any.

Third, why the hell does that matter?? So what if he sounds better with his effects, those effects are just as much his way of making music and being creative as his guitar. Not to mention his knowledge of signal processing would absolutely put anyone here to shame. If anything, we should be MORE impressed that he can make such often minimalist guitar parts sound so transcendent and atmospheric just by kicking on a couple stompboxes.

Thats my 2 cents on the edge. As far as overrated guitarists, Id say kirk hammett. But then im kind of biased against metal and terrible guitar tone.
And anyone who says Jimi Hendrix doesnt know what theyre saying. Voodoo child might be the greatest hard rock guitar performance ever, and he played it before hard rock was even a genre.

I agree ........he was an incredible guitarist try,playing Bold as Love.... The whole songs a lead. I've been working on it for two weeks and I just got to the Chorus.....
Now overated, id say slash love his Jams but he's not like god or whatever
jdude799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #77
stevetamer
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by throne4me
Angus Young
Slash

For me Angus Yep

Slash nope
Old 07-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #78
Drache Wachter
UG's Bass Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZepStones
Clapton, Vai......technically able, but there is nothing melodic or feeling to any of their songs.....

A few examples that prove your statement wrong.

Clapton: Wonderful Tonight, Layla (acoustic)

Vai: For the Love of God, Tender Surrender

Yes, they dove into some wankery, but you have to admit that their playing was melodic and emotional at times.
Drache Wachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #79
Sullinger

Slash and Hendrix both suck dick. "Oh, but try learning some of Slash's songs!" try learning a Paul Gilbert song. You can't buy Gilbert posters at Wal-Mart. Hendrix, ehhh, he's alright, but no where near "one of the greatest guitarist to ever live"
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #80
Aoresteen

The Edge, Carl Wilson, and Erik Brann.
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: