Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #81
ws6transam

I feel like Jimi Hendrix is overrated but c'mon who would beat him in a duel???... Nobody. And there's only about 3-5 years worth of recordings for him compared to other overrated guitarists who have at least 10 years worth of stuff.
ws6transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #82
Zetsword

Steve Vai, Joe Satch, Kirk Hammett, and a lot of other thrashers and slashers that bore me.
Zetsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #83
BergerShredder

Herman Li.
BergerShredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:22 AM   #84
ozzystar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsword
Steve Vai, Joe Satch, Kirk Hammett, and a lot of other thrashers and slashers that bore me.

Stevie Vaughan is trash? its oright to be jealous when u know you're never gonna play close what he did... that guy had a lot of creativity and soul.... try to play a solo live with a broken string and change guitars after the solo without stopping the song

Last edited by ozzystar : 08-11-2012 at 03:24 AM.
ozzystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:07 AM   #85
Sheep Shagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzystar
Stevie Vaughan is trash? its oright to be jealous when u know you're never gonna play close what he did... that guy had a lot of creativity and soul.... try to play a solo live with a broken string and change guitars after the solo without stopping the song

He said Steve Vai. Not Stevie Vaughan.

VAI.
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #86
FabulousIan

Please keep in mind, that you have to write, which guitar player is overrated and not which guitar player you don't like. I think many people hate Kirk Hammett for what he is doing with his wah pedal and stuff but he has many solos, that use the wah pedal in a very creative way and as sethkins already said, being a good guitar player is about how tasteful the music is.
So I wouldn't say, that Kirk Hammett is that over-rated.

Last edited by FabulousIan : 08-13-2012 at 03:52 PM.
FabulousIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:42 AM   #87
nayemkhulna
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFUBAR
the Satch, and the Vai LoL

I agree with him.
nayemkhulna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #88
stevetamer
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred_Guitar_
Angus Young, Slash, Kurt Cobain, Jack White and (now someone will try to kill me) Jimi Hendrix

Seconded my friend
Old 09-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #89
M.V.

It's not about who do you like or not, who do you prefer to listen to. Let's take a look at Yngwie Malmsteen: he's a great guitar player, but most of people doesn't like his music. Take Slash, he's not such a great guitar player, but he makes great music. Now guitar technique is objective; you can't say someone sucks, if he's Steve Vai. But you can say someone's music sucks but that is subjective. Guitar players like Vai, Satch, Petrucci are respected for their guitar technique, guitar players like Slash, Hammet are respected for their music. Not saying that they are bad guitar players. Not at all. Thing is that, because the technique is objective, you can't say that he's (Vai, Malmsteen, Petrucci) overrated. They are respected because of that and it doesn't matter if their music isn't so great. While Slash isn't overrated because he does great music, don't matter his techique. The problem is that the GNR fans think Slash is the best, that's wrong. This is objective. Slash can't be the best. He can't beat Malmsteen, Vai, Petrucci. Rare guitar players are overrated, as they must be famous for something (****ing the modern music). So the thing is that Vai is respected for his playing, while Slash is respected for his music.
Hendrix is not overrated.
M.V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #90
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.V.
It's not about who do you like or not, who do you prefer to listen to. Let's take a look at Yngwie Malmsteen: he's a great guitar player, but most of people doesn't like his music. Take Slash, he's not such a great guitar player, but he makes great music. Now guitar technique is objective; you can't say someone sucks, if he's Steve Vai. But you can say someone's music sucks but that is subjective. Guitar players like Vai, Satch, Petrucci are respected for their guitar technique, guitar players like Slash, Hammet are respected for their music. Not saying that they are bad guitar players. Not at all. Thing is that, because the technique is objective, you can't say that he's (Vai, Malmsteen, Petrucci) overrated. They are respected because of that and it doesn't matter if their music isn't so great. While Slash isn't overrated because he does great music, don't matter his techique. The problem is that the GNR fans think Slash is the best, that's wrong. This is objective. Slash can't be the best. He can't beat Malmsteen, Vai, Petrucci. Rare guitar players are overrated, as they must be famous for something (****ing the modern music). So the thing is that Vai is respected for his playing, while Slash is respected for his music.
Hendrix is not overrated.

While I agree with most of this, using Slash as an example is where I disagree, and the answer lies in your own statement. It is because fanboys hoist him high into the clouds and praise him as the best that he is overrated. Yes he* makes some good music and yes I think he should get some credit because he is obviously good at what he does, and based on the fame of the band it would be impossible to disagree with that. But some people need to understand what it means to be overrated(which literally means overestimating the merits of something), and that there is no such thing as "the best". It's all one big penis-waving competition in the end anyway.

*insert any guitar player's name here

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness

Last edited by TheUltimateSin : 09-26-2012 at 11:36 AM.
TheUltimateSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #91
M.V.

I couldn't agree more, I didn't turn the words the right way. There is no such thing as the best in ANY thing.
M.V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #92
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan

It really irritates me to see people comparing musicians who strive for technical superiority to musicians who just play the band game, because they are in 2 completely different leagues and play 2 completely different styles of music. That's like comparing people who play video games for hobby against people who play competitively, or any other similar situation. And the whole thing reeks of ******ed arguments that make no difference anyway because once someone has a notion in their head, very rarely does it change regardless of what you tell them. I like to use myself as an example, because as far as I'm concerned, Randy Rhoads was one of the best musicians ever. Was he more skilled than say, Paul Gilbert? It would be foolish to say so. Does that change my opinion? Nope. Does someone else telling me that change my opinion? Nope. But I also don't go throwing it around in everyone's face either, nor do I tell someone else that he's better than whoever they listen to.

Basically, being a musician sucks.

Quote:
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Old 09-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #93
JJSGuitarguy13

OH MY GOD jimi hendrix? overrated? Blasphemy. Jimi hendrix was playin in the damn 60's
he is one of fathers of heavy blues and rock, jeez!
JJSGuitarguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #94
JJSGuitarguy13

i think kieth richards is overrated, dont get me wrong i love his music but he aint the
best. and in a way stevie ray vaughn is overrated, i hate to say it but ALMOST EVERY
EACH ONE OF HIS SOLO SOUND EXACTLY THE SAME!!!! PS I HATE anyone that says
hendrix suck....Good day
JJSGuitarguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #95
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan

^I literally lol'd at both of those.

And not in a good way.

Quote:
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness

Last edited by TheUltimateSin : 09-27-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #96
KISSmyass666
Banned

Keth richards sucks.
KISSmyass666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #97
wench38
Bahhh..

Zakk Wylde and Slash.... Perhaps it's just me being sick of seeing them constantly ( along with all the crap they crank out with their name on it)
wench38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #98
Zatriani

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFUBAR
the Satch, and the Vai LoL

Sooo underrated.. maybe not on UG but they didn't even make the top 100 on rolling stone's list.
Zatriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #99
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatriani
Sooo underrated.. maybe not on UG but they didn't even make the top 100 on rolling stone's list.

First problem: it was a Rolling Stones list.

Second problem: it was a Rolling Stones list

Quote:
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness