Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #121
republicanator
THE REPUBLICANATOR

Slash...Hands down...
republicanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #122
andyhaake

My vote would have to go to Tom Morello. I have just never understood how playing with delay and a whammy pedal makes you "great".
andyhaake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #123
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackswaggawagon
This is truly strange. To say that jimi didnt actually revolutionize guitar is just factually wrong. I dare you to name one rock guitarist IN THE WORLD right now who isnt in some way, whether they know it or not, influenced by jimi (not to mention his influence on RnB, heavy metal, and punk.) Yes, the blues players of the early 20th century are probably more influential in the grand scheme of things, but that doesnt lessen jimi's influence.
also, im not sure what you mean by "successful project." Regardless of your opinion on the aesthetic quality of paul gilberts discography of the last 20 years vs slash's, i can guarantee you slash has still sold probably a million or two more records than paul in the last couple decades. Paul might crank out some good music, but if by successful you mean "people actually listen to it and it has descent mainstream sales," than no, paul gilbert is not as successful as slash. And yes, i know that lady gaga and hannah montana also have sold more albums than paul gilbert; they are also more successful.
Just for the record, i think both slash and gilbert are overrated. i think theyre are also two of the best guitarists in the world right now, but definitely overrated.

....I think the boat left and you weren't on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
TheUltimateSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #124
Caaarrl94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamight
Also, Jimi Hendrix.

you did not just say that
Old 10-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #125
Caaarrl94

The edge.
Did anyone see 'It Might Get Loud' ?
derp. way out of his league.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #126
MEGADETHGOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhaake
My vote would have to go to Tom Morello. I have just never understood how playing with delay and a whammy pedal makes you "great".

I like this answer. I purchased Audiosalves debut CD thinking to hear something groundbreaking and was bored to tears with his playing. He can play yes, but does not deserve the hype he gets.

I think Alex Lifeson from Rush is overrated too... hell that whole band is overrated.
MEGADETHGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #127
TrentDog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGADETHGOD
I think Alex Lifeson from Rush is overrated too... hell that whole band is overrated.

TrentDog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #128
Guitar Gladius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethkins
Angus young, Kurt cobain

I'd have to 2nd that--at least the 2nd half of it...
Guitar Gladius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #129
fenderstratfan
Banned

UK

I'm thinking Jimmy Page is a tad bit overated.......................................... .................................................. ..............................................

But I still think he's awesome!!!!!!!!!!
fenderstratfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #130
fenderstratfan
Banned

Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentDog1

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I completely disagree!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rush is so amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by fenderstratfan : 11-27-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: getting my point across
fenderstratfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #131
Art Vandalay

I've found that if anything, Rush is underrated. They make some awesome rhythms and the solos from "Workin' Man" will tell you all you need to know about Alex Lifesons soloing ability. Neil Peart's drumming could stand alone as a cool song on many occasions and Geddy's vocals are some of my favorite. I've always enjoyed the singers that do the higher register stuff.
Art Vandalay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #132
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandalay
I've found that if anything, Rush is underrated. They make some awesome rhythms and the solos from "Workin' Man" will tell you all you need to know about Alex Lifesons soloing ability. Neil Peart's drumming could stand alone as a cool song on many occasions and Geddy's vocals are some of my favorite. I've always enjoyed the singers that do the higher register stuff.

Rush is not underrated. They have plenty of recognition, are clearly still immensely popular, and possess the record sales to prove it. Great band, but not underrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
TheUltimateSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #133
helltothee
Idiot

Rush have a massive cult following. They aren't overrated though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryingNemo
I saw Satan one day
He looked kinda gay
The bible hates gays
So Satan I shall slay
Amen.
helltothee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #134
ws6transam

**** You
ws6transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 AM   #135
ClassicFloyder

1) Van Halen
2) Jeff Beck
3) Eric Clapton
4) Slash
5) Dave Mustaine
6) Jimmy Hendrix
7) Pete Townshend
8) Ritchie Blackmore
9) Kirk Hammett
10) Jimmy Page !

Please i do not mean to say that they arenot great guitarist they are and all of them are my fav. as well, from Slash, Page Clapton as well ALL OTHERS have Great Compositions but i feel they are given much more credit then they deserved, and that's what Overrated means isn't it ?
ClassicFloyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #136
ZepJunkie
Strataholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicFloyder
1) Van Halen
2) Jeff Beck
3) Eric Clapton
4) Slash
5) Dave Mustaine
6) Jimmy Hendrix
7) Pete Townshend
8) Ritchie Blackmore
9) Kirk Hammett
10) Jimmy Page !

Please i do not mean to say that they arenot great guitarist they are and all of them are my fav. as well, from Slash, Page Clapton as well ALL OTHERS have Great Compositions but i feel they are given much more credit then they deserved, and that's what Overrated means isn't it ?

I hope they use comic sans on your grave.
ZepJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:28 AM   #137
Barricade_28

Vai, Satriani, Petrucci. Very technically gifted guitarists, but most of their music and their style has little appeal to me.

Guys like Vai and Satriani can do all these amazing tricks on the guitar and you'd want them to be your guitar teacher for their great technique, but you won't hear them much on the radio because most of their music just isn't very good. The problem I have with a lot of prog-rock guitarists like the above, Malmsteen etc. is that they spend all their time trying to look good and sound perfect but they can hardly write a song worth s**t. A lot of musical masturbation if you ask me. A guy like Tony Iommi has far inferior technical skills compared to these guys but the creativity he has achieved with his moderate skills runs circles around these prog guys.
Barricade_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #138
ClassicFloyder

Bla-bla-bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZepJunkie
I hope they use comic sans on your grave.

Got hurt by truth Bro ?
ClassicFloyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #139
fishmike

I love this forum but this thread sucks. These guys are overrated?

The Edge is overrated? Joshua Tree entire album is mostly 3 chord simple songs, and yet its brilliant and soulfull and simple melodies that intertwine with great lyrics. If its so simple and overrated why not just go do the same? I mean 25 million copies is a nice job.

Hendrix? Really? yes, Im a fan. Im also the first to admit that a ton of his stuff is total slop and his iconic classic songs like Purple Haze are my least favorite but overrated?

Here's my take. There isnt a single guitarist listed in this thread thats overrated. Hey... what do I know? Ive only been playing about 4 years and I didnt start until I was 35. But I have learned that so much of the brilliance in music is the composition and ability to reach people.

Funny.. people have mentioned Slash, Hendrix, Clapton, Van Halen... nobody has hated on the Beatles. Lets hear why those guys were overrated too. Silly talk!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #140
08L1V10N
UG Addict

Steve Vai overrated? I don't think much people can even comprehend his skill. Jeff Beck overrated? Wtf.
One word: Slash, now that's an pathetically overrated guitarist..

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
08L1V10N is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: