Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #21
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i don't understand the whole 150 watts, you have plenty of headroom with 120, its just that needing to buy a sextet of power tubes really sucks.

i have the 100 (blue model) and am running it half power/ohms so i am at 60 watts and just need a pair.

i think these are some amps where a meticulous EQing can really get it to sound a lot better. mine sounds pretty good where its at.

i was watching a show that a friend was playing, and the band before him had an MG +4x12, and a black blue voodoo. the kid with the blue voodoo sounded worse than the MG on the other side of the stage. i waked back and fourth a few times. some people just don't know how to EQ for shit. every king of the blues i have played (4 years now i think) i have gotten complaments by the judges for having the best tone of the night. i won once on the first level, i lost in a tie for second in a play off type thing, and last year didn't get anything becuause one guy won was a teacher and had played for like 30 years or something, and the other one just played better than i did. he much deserved it.

but i can get good tone out of most anything and next time i gig i will bring the blue voodoo to watch people's expression after they hear how it sounds.

but again its just a mediocre high gain amp, paid $200 and traded a DS1... lol

/sorry for the drunken rambling. i wasn't this bad until the last hour... lol. just bought a bigass bottle of wild turkey and can't seem to set it down.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.

Last edited by trashedlostfdup : 05-07-2012 at 02:26 AM.
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #22
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
triode took down the link. i live 45 away from that guy. he is the guy i got my sovtek mig from. maybe he will make another kit.

he is a nice guy, noticed a slight issue with something fixed it on the spot immediately and knocked a few bucks off because i had to wait 20 mins for him to get it straightened out.

The link has been broken for a while. Send him an E-mail. I told him last time but he still hasn't fixed it.

I have 2 black ones and I think it is ok, but you can really hear the mud in it. EQ will make or break these amps. I bought one for $200 that is in perfect shape and the other I bought for $50 bucks broken. Easy fix.

Last edited by R45VT : 05-07-2012 at 02:37 AM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:01 AM   #23
Brainpolice2
UG Board King

Have the 120h halfstack sitting in my basement. Haven't turned it on for years.
Brainpolice2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #24
iheartgun
UG's user of common sense

i would gladly accept a free donation of your unused bv.

Guitars
Epiphone 58' explorer(jb/59)
ltd ex-260(emg81/60)
ltd m400nt(t2/liquifire)
78 hondo2 les paul
85 peavey horizon 2

Board
i has pedulz lots of pedulz
iheartgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #25
music11829

this is a newb question, but what do you mean by bridge R25? I would like to try this mod, but not sure how to bridge a resistor. thanks
music11829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:35 AM   #26
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Basically you short te resistor with buss wire.

I will post a link to buss wire in a few.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:56 AM   #27
music11829

sweet, that would be great. thanks
music11829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:10 AM   #28
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Here is a link to tube depot. Great site and customer service:
http://tubedepot.com/bw.html

You can find buss wire at your local Radio-Shack as well.

Keep in mind lethal voltage is present in tube amps, and can be stored for a period of time after an amp is shut off. If you are not comfortable with high voltages please leave it to the techs. We don't need a dead UG'er.

Any questions please ask.

Also iheartgun- could you please post a pic of your amp with the lights on and give a little wright up on how you did it? I am sure someone would find it useful.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:18 AM   #29
EspTro

Crate BV150......The next new wave of Space Heaters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
EspTro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:32 AM   #30
iheartgun
UG's user of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Also iheartgun- could you please post a pic of your amp with the lights on and give a little wright up on how you did it? I am sure someone would find it useful.

id be glad to. ill post pics tomorrow where i put them in the amp and all that. im currently at work.

i got the led lights from oznium.com. i ordered 2, 6inch strips of blue lights one for each side of the tubes. they come with double sided tape already on them so they can be taped to anyplace. the lights are powered by a wall wart from oznium as well. they have a help section for figuring out the power rating of wall wart u will need for powering these lights. its a really simple thing that turns heads. i would have liked to wire it to the amps power but the wall wart works fine and the cord on it is at least 5 ft long. also i will note that the lights cause absolutely NO interferance with the tubes at all. they dont get hot and i have left them on for hours with no issues.
the lights for the back of the tubes originaly are yellow but mine are blue i had to do some searching for them but they are blue rubber pushbutton switch covers for freight trucks.

http://www.oznium.com/led-ribbon

Guitars
Epiphone 58' explorer(jb/59)
ltd ex-260(emg81/60)
ltd m400nt(t2/liquifire)
78 hondo2 les paul
85 peavey horizon 2

Board
i has pedulz lots of pedulz
iheartgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #31
Ippon
Amped

Something cool to do this Summer for sure. Thanks R45VT!

Old 06-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #32
ikey_

never even seen the 150. all the ones ive seen have a blue label too.

i think every time i go into a GC, there is a 50% chance there is a used blue voodoo head there.

about 75% chance there is a crate tube amp of some sort there used.

about 95% chance there is a used crate amp of any type there.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #33
Fisheth24
UG's only Dean user

Nice thread! I want one of these now.

Fisheth24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #34
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspTro
Crate BV150......The next new wave of Space Heaters!

I can only imagine...

With any luck I will have one of mine sold. I'm keeping the modded one and hopefully get back to finishing it in a few weeks. (More like months with how busy work has been)
Old 07-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #35
dietotencore
UG's bald, bearded guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartgun
id be glad to. ill post pics tomorrow where i put them in the amp and all that. im currently at work.

i got the led lights from oznium.com. i ordered 2, 6inch strips of blue lights one for each side of the tubes. they come with double sided tape already on them so they can be taped to anyplace. the lights are powered by a wall wart from oznium as well. they have a help section for figuring out the power rating of wall wart u will need for powering these lights. its a really simple thing that turns heads. i would have liked to wire it to the amps power but the wall wart works fine and the cord on it is at least 5 ft long. also i will note that the lights cause absolutely NO interferance with the tubes at all. they dont get hot and i have left them on for hours with no issues.
the lights for the back of the tubes originaly are yellow but mine are blue i had to do some searching for them but they are blue rubber pushbutton switch covers for freight trucks.

http://www.oznium.com/led-ribbon

So where exactly in the amp do you put the lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana_RATM2
Jack White's evil Mexican brother? Juan Negro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmirT
I puke on my dick while I fart in president Rosevelt's ear

POT IS NICE
dietotencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #36
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

The tubes are back lit with bulbs. Stock they come with an orange cover. You can find different cap colors on-line. Also some people, as the guy above did - he added LED strips. He did it without hooking anything up to his amp electrically. He has to use an extra plug.

Also EspTro added a 3rd brake light to his. I can't remember how he hooked it up, most likely he ran a 12v dc power supply.

You can do what ever you like to your amp. There are no rules. Obviously you don't want to cause extra noise and complexity/lower value of your amp. Which is why the guys above didn't tap into the amps existing electronics.

Last edited by R45VT : 07-11-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #37
dietotencore
UG's bald, bearded guy.

Quote:
The tubes are back lit with bulbs. Stock they come with an orange cover. You can find different cap colors on-line. Also some people, as the guy above did - he added LED strips. He did it without hooking anything up to his amp electrically. He has to use an extra plug.

Also EspTro added a 3rd brake light to his. I can't remember how he hooked it up, most likely he ran a 12v dc power supply.

You can do what ever you like to your amp. There are no rules. Obviously you don't want to cause extra noise and complexity/lower value of your amp. Which is why the guys above didn't tap into the amps existing electronics.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I'll open the head up tomorrow and take a look-see, and then I'll order green caps and those green led strips, gotta keep up the green image for the stoner doom scene

Quote:

Quote:

POT IS NICE
Old 07-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #38
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

You don't even have to open it up. Worst case you have to pull the back cover off. Easy enough. I will post a picture in a few.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:43 AM   #39
dietotencore
UG's bald, bearded guy.

Quote:
You don't even have to open it up. Worst case you have to pull the back cover off. Easy enough. I will post a picture in a few.

That would be much appreciated

Quote:

Quote:

POT IS NICE
Old 07-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #40
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

I will post the pictures when I get home. Which model 60 are you getting? I think I have some schematics for one of those models as well. If I can find it again on my computer I will update the first page to include it as well.

Rate This Thread: