User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
skippy_moogoose
30 Rhythm Points...O yeah

Converting SS Jag into a piccolo

Hey guys!
So, I got this Squire SS Jag a while back, with the intention of it becoming my first mod bass, since it was pretty cheap (about 180 new IIRC) and I absolutely adore the look of the thing! (It's the black one with matching headstock, and the offset body gives it a great 90's alt rock vibe)

I came up with the idea of maybe turning it into a piccolo bass quite recently, since I already have a Mustang for getting the old school tones down or if I fancy playing short scale, and I've been messing around a fair bit on my guitar of late as well, so having an instrument that's tonally a really nice variation of the two, whilst also being a bit of a different animal in its own right and with its own creative potential seems a pretty awesome idea!

I was also thinking of changing the PU's out whilst I'm at it, the P style one's pretty solid but the J PU at the bridge really can't hack it solo and doesn't bring enough bite rolled on with the P for my liking.
I know you can buy piccolo strings, and maybe I'd need a new nut, though it came set up with very thin gauge strings, so I'm not sure on that. What else (apart from a good set up) do I need to do, to convert it? And what kind of PU's can you guys suggest? I'd probably use it a fair bit with distortion and play around with tones, so maybe some with a high output?

Please assume I'm an absolute noob about this kinda stuff, because I essentially am and I know a ton of you guys are awesome modders and such! Hence posting this here thread for advice!!

In a nut shell:
Converting a SS jag into a piccolo, how do I go about this, wats a good P+J PU combo to go along with it.

assume a reasonable budget, up to 200 or so
skippy_moogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
OtamotPuhctek

I put some piccolo strings on an old medium scale a number of years back. I didn't need/bother to mess with the nut. The issue I came across was the plain steel G string and its timbre in relation to the EAD, which were wound steel. Tonal color just didn't blend.

There's a lot of threads on piccolo tuning in the strings forum at TB.
OtamotPuhctek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
skippy_moogoose

Cheers!!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Piccolo bass strings are as thin as electric guitar strings, so it is quite the different animal. As for pickups, Michael Manring has made a career out of playing a three-octave bass with piccolo strings, and he uses Bartolini humbuckers (Music Man size), so I would look at what Bartolini has to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Spaz91
Turd polisher

I made a piccolo bass a while back and I found that bass pickups are a little too "fat" sounding for guitar strings. Try replacing the bridge pickup with a stacked strat or tele pickup.
Spaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

How strange. I had no idea these things existed. I may have to find one to try out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
GAPendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
skippy_moogoose

Quote:
I made a piccolo bass a while back and I found that bass pickups are a little too "fat" sounding for guitar strings. Try replacing the bridge pickup with a stacked strat or tele pickup.

Thanks Jon...I figure for now, I'll buy the strings and take it to the shop up the road from BTP for the setup...I'll then see how I like the feel of it before droppin moolah on PU's
Old 11-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAPendragon
How strange. I had no idea these things existed. I may have to find one to try out.

Oh, indeed they do!

Three octaves, piccolo strings, Hipshot De-Tuners on each string at the headstock and at the bridge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: