Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-31-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
musicians1

Advice on buying new gear !:)

Hi guys !

I'm about to buy a brand new bass guitar/amp setup, and i'd like to hear some opinions.

Budget= 3500-3800

i went to the shop today and tried 3 different basses

Rickenbacker 4003S(Black) - Personally i really enjoyed playing this bass, and the looks are just great on this one..

Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass(White Blonded) It was ok.. enjoyed playing it, but i liked the rickenbacker more to be honnest.

Spector Bass Euro 4LX(Ultra Amber) this one really did it for me, growly and lovely punchy sound.

So i guess it comes down to the Rickenbacker 4003S VS Spector Bass Euro 4LX
i dont know if any of these 2 basses belong to a specific kind of genre.. so what do you guys think ?

I'm really into Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Creedence Clearwater Revival,
Boston, Ugly Kid Joe etc. ...

As for the amp.. i was thinking about a Fender Bassman 500(TOP) + Fender Rumble 410 Cab.
musicians1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Spaz91
RIP Terry

With that budget you've no excuse for not getting a custom made or custom order bass.

You can definitely do better for the amp too. Look at the Ampeg Portaflex series, it's affordable and light but used by a lot of pros.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
musicians1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
With that budget you've no excuse for not getting a custom made or custom order bass.

You can definitely do better for the amp too. Look at the Ampeg Portaflex series, it's affordable and light but used by a lot of pros.

Well the budget is for both the bass guitar and the amp, so i dont know about a custom order

A good amp would cost me like 1000-1500, wich leaves about 2300(max) for a bass.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
Cajundaddy

Maybe buy a good MiM P-Bass or a Chickenbacker 4003 and a Peavey Bass amp for $1k. Then you will have enough left over for a good used van to haul it to gigs.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:11 PM   #5
arvarna

If you want similar tones to the genres you mentioned the Fender P bass would be the way to go, but that doesn't mean you should get it over the other two especially when you can get a good mexican P bass for way cheaper.

I love the look on Ricks too it was the first bass I wanted to buy, until I saw the price tag. Lenny from Motorhead plays it and it has a specific 'rick' tone, but you can say that with any bass.

Specs are more modern and versatile in my opinion. I would take the Spec they make great basses with awesome tone and better overall construction (in my opinion again). If you're looking for that oldschool vintage tone then I would say the Rick>Fender, but if you're not that hellbent on having a vintage sound then I reckon you should take the spec.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i've always loved rics - they feel great to me, sound great, and are awesome. i've seen punk, motown and rock players use rics, and they seem to work well. i owned one, and it was without a double the nicest bass i've ever had. that being said, some people don't care for them. because they're better known, rics are also easier to resell than specters - at least in my neck of the woods.

the P bass, on the other hand, is the classic bass and was the first fretted bass. too bad you don't like it - have you tried a jazz bass?

not a big fan of the bassman. i like the portaflex series, too - the PF500 has some reported and recurring problems, but the PF800 is simply awesome. also if possible check out gallien krueger and maybe markbass. me, i'm a huge marbass fan.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:39 PM   #7
musicians1

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
i've always loved rics - they feel great to me, sound great, and are awesome. i've seen punk, motown and rock players use rics, and they seem to work well. i owned one, and it was without a double the nicest bass i've ever had. that being said, some people don't care for them. because they're better known, rics are also easier to resell than specters - at least in my neck of the woods.

the P bass, on the other hand, is the classic bass and was the first fretted bass. too bad you don't like it - have you tried a jazz bass?

not a big fan of the bassman. i like the portaflex series, too - the PF500 has some reported and recurring problems, but the PF800 is simply awesome. also if possible check out gallien krueger and maybe markbass. me, i'm a huge marbass fan.

Well it's not that i dont like the Fender, but i was hoping to find another brand of bass that is also versatile and good sounding, you see fender's everywhere..wich prob. has a reason to, but then still..

thanks for the tip on the PF800, i'll check that out
Old 11-01-2015, 03:21 AM   #8
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

have you checked out the music man stingray? most comfortable neck for my hand that i ever played, great sound and a bit hotter pickups than the fender. very versatile, wonderful tone.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:57 AM   #9
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

I think you answered your own question in your first post "this one really did it for me."

Try a few other Spectors, and possibly some Warwicks. They licensed the body shape for the Streamer range. The necks are bit different, but they growl as well.

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:58 AM   #10
Sliide90027

Buy what actually inspires you to play in ways that you have not before.

That is what has happened to me.

If it is the Specter, then that is the one.

The amp is secondary.

I am not any SWR, Ampeg, Mesa, GK, Markbass, Acoustic, Peavey, Fender....guy. I have not really heard anything from them that has made me respect their efforts.

Genz Benz NeoX400 when you can find one used, or a TraceElliot. A lot of people like the TC Electronics gear, and I heard one perform in an arena the other night. Nothing wrong with it, just not my cup of tea in the tone area,
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:32 AM   #11
musicians1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliide90027
Buy what actually inspires you to play in ways that you have not before.

That is what has happened to me.

If it is the Specter, then that is the one.

The amp is secondary.

I am not any SWR, Ampeg, Mesa, GK, Markbass, Acoustic, Peavey, Fender....guy. I have not really heard anything from them that has made me respect their efforts.

Genz Benz NeoX400 when you can find one used, or a TraceElliot. A lot of people like the TC Electronics gear, and I heard one perform in an arena the other night. Nothing wrong with it, just not my cup of tea in the tone area,

Both spector and the rickenbacker are great instruments in my opinion, both have their own unique sound and feel to it, but in the long run i think the spector will please me more, i'm going back to the shop tuesday, try 'm out again and make a decision

i'm also looking into Mayones custom basses, great sounding, but expensive
Old 11-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #12
musicians1

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that i ordered my new bass at my music shop-

not a Rickenbacker or Spector but a Fender American Deluxe Jazz.(Natural color)
Old 11-04-2015, 05:09 PM   #13
Spaz91
RIP Terry

Probably the best in Fender's catalog. I had one myself for about a week until rent was needed.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #14
musicians1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
Probably the best in Fender's catalog. I had one myself for about a week until rent was needed.

Aw.. i hope you didn't lose to much on selling it
& yeah they sound great, cant wait to play it
Old 11-09-2015, 05:51 AM   #15
Phil Starr
Tab Contributor

Bla-bla-bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicians1
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that i ordered my new bass at my music shop-

not a Rickenbacker or Spector but a Fender American Deluxe Jazz.(Natural color)

I have one of the originals of these, I started out not wanting to be a Fender player because I thought 'just paying for the name'. It's the 'one' though for playing live. I prefer the sound of my Jazz (another Fender, I know) but with the band the P just works and the deluxe just gives you the extra flexibility. The neck is nice as well.

That leaves you with a good amount for amplification. My advice is to identify what you really need it for and your attitude to portability and storage. The current trend is towards lightweight and a clean sound. If your amp and speakers give a flat response and an undistorted sound you can add in any shaping or grind with effects or am modelling. Anything over 200W is going to match a drummer and most amps are in the 3-400W range so unless you are playing stadiums power is the last thing to worry about.

I'd be looking to go for a lightweight amp like a Mark Bass Little Mark and a couple of high end 12" cabs, like the Barefaced, TKS, Aguilar or similar quality. One of these alone will match the drums in a small venue and the second cab will add another 6db if you play anywhere bigger. More than that and you'd be going through the PA so you are covered for any eventuality. I've been gigging with a couple of 12's and in one large venue, where the drummer insisted I turn up, ended up with him complaining he couldn't hear his own snare

However a lot of people like a traditional sound built in to there rig and go for the lots of low tec speakers. the Ampeg/Trace Elliot route. Nothing wrong with that either if you don't mind hefting your own body weight of speaker up a flight of stairs, they sound good once you get them there.

Alternatively you might want to go for a Combo. With the money you have left you might be in the AER bracket. These are insanely good for something so small and practical. You never see them secondhand because people who buy them stop upgrading, which says a lot about what they do.

Choose on sound and practicality, read all you can, but let your ears decide which you like best

have fun.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:43 PM   #16
musicians1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Starr
I have one of the originals of these, I started out not wanting to be a Fender player because I thought 'just paying for the name'. It's the 'one' though for playing live. I prefer the sound of my Jazz (another Fender, I know) but with the band the P just works and the deluxe just gives you the extra flexibility. The neck is nice as well.

That leaves you with a good amount for amplification. My advice is to identify what you really need it for and your attitude to portability and storage. The current trend is towards lightweight and a clean sound. If your amp and speakers give a flat response and an undistorted sound you can add in any shaping or grind with effects or am modelling. Anything over 200W is going to match a drummer and most amps are in the 3-400W range so unless you are playing stadiums power is the last thing to worry about.

I'd be looking to go for a lightweight amp like a Mark Bass Little Mark and a couple of high end 12" cabs, like the Barefaced, TKS, Aguilar or similar quality. One of these alone will match the drums in a small venue and the second cab will add another 6db if you play anywhere bigger. More than that and you'd be going through the PA so you are covered for any eventuality. I've been gigging with a couple of 12's and in one large venue, where the drummer insisted I turn up, ended up with him complaining he couldn't hear his own snare

However a lot of people like a traditional sound built in to there rig and go for the lots of low tec speakers. the Ampeg/Trace Elliot route. Nothing wrong with that either if you don't mind hefting your own body weight of speaker up a flight of stairs, they sound good once you get them there.

Alternatively you might want to go for a Combo. With the money you have left you might be in the AER bracket. These are insanely good for something so small and practical. You never see them secondhand because people who buy them stop upgrading, which says a lot about what they do.

Choose on sound and practicality, read all you can, but let your ears decide which you like best

have fun.

thank's for the reply and info, i went with a Fender rumble 410 v3 cab and a aguilar tonehammer 500 top, sounded great to my ears, and the cab is not heavy + is has wheels wich comes in handy sometimes

Rate This Thread: