Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
rocknrollstar
Debaser

I need your ears, your advice and other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwnY...feature=related

I'm sure there's many people here who know this song.

Anyway, I was stereo micing my acoustic until the microphones ceased to work. I've also grown to resent click tracks as of late (my newer stuff sometimes speeds up slighty or changes time signature, or both) so I'm essentially wanting to record my singing and acoustic guitar live (which most songs on that album were I believe)

1.) Is there anyway to beef up acoustic guitar without double tracking? I don't mind doing it, but the actual sound just doesn't do it for me nowadays. That track to me sounds like its single acoustic guitar panned 90% right (until later in the song) and the vocals seem more to the right. There's not a lot of centre in the album.

2.) I've got my Audio Technica AT2035 for vocals (large diaphragm condenser) and I reckon a small diaphragm is what I need for the acoustic, round about the 12th fret. Can anybody recommend a microphone for my purpose? I've heard ribbon microphones being mentioned, but I'm not sure. Budget wise say 400 quid tops.

3.) Is there anyway to beef up vocals without double-tracking? I can do it (and have done) but it seems too gimmicky to me (on acoustic tracks anyway, it works for rock) I know I can sing perhaps in 3rds, but lets say no harmonies, other ways.

Any takers?
Old 04-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Wild Hopkins

1) NY style compression and gentle low mid saturation will increase the thickness (what ever that word means)
The saturation increase the harmonic content of the sound which add more weight but it's a fine line. So be-careful.

3) same as above. Plus multistage compression. As in compress a little, little in the bus and little on the master. Then more at mastering stage.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1489066

Pimping my latest project. Grunge rock from Melbourne http://vimmband.com/
Wild Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
rocknrollstar
Debaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Hopkins
1) NY style compression and gentle low mid saturation will increase the thickness (what ever that word means)
The saturation increase the harmonic content of the sound which add more weight but it's a fine line. So be-careful.

3) same as above. Plus multistage compression. As in compress a little, little in the bus and little on the master. Then more at mastering stage.

1.) Hey man, thanks for that. I've heard something similar when people talk about drums. In regards to low mid increase for acoustic guitar, I estimate that's around the 200-500hz stage?

3.) That's great man. So say 1 vocal take down the middle, compressed slightly. Then send this to an aux, and compress the aux heavier. Then the overall sound compressed a little, then at the mastering stage a compressor/maybe a limiter as well?

Also if anybody can recommend mics that'll be grand. My sig contains the stereo micing I was doing, which sounded okay if perhaps a little flat.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
Wild Hopkins

Watch out the 200 hz can muddy up your mix pretty quickly.

Yeah something like that. Try using a Class U or Opto style setting as well. Those response give a bit more coloration as well.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1489066

Pimping my latest project. Grunge rock from Melbourne http://vimmband.com/
Wild Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
rocknrollstar
Debaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Hopkins
Watch out the 200 hz can muddy up your mix pretty quickly.

Yeah something like that. Try using a Class U or Opto style setting as well. Those response give a bit more coloration as well.

Yeah I noticed that the other night. I've started to EQ in mono e.g. each track left and right, so tracks that are 100 panned left I just drop their right EQ out and around 350 had a little more bass. Still sounds a bit . . .I dunno. It's louder but lacks a sort of clarity if that makes sense?

I don't have a Class U compresser setting, however there is an Opto option so I'll give that a go. Thanks man.

EQ as much as I might, I reckon the correct microphones will solve most of these problems. A nice small diaphragm condenser would likely sort my troubles. I've tried stereo micing acoustic and it's okay, don't know if its needed though.

EDIT: I stereo mic'd with a large diaphragm condenser towards the soundhole and out a bit and the small one at the 12th fret out a bit. Link in my sig contains the recording I made with them (mics are currently knackered now and being sent back to factory, looking to get a better brand)

Last edited by rocknrollstar : 05-01-2012 at 07:19 AM.
rocknrollstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: