Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #261
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz

So, does everyone's pedals still work? I'm thinking of getting a classic flanger, it'll only set me back 30, but I was wondering how close it comes to the EVH flanger? I want something that sounds like the EVH flanger, but I don't want to shell out for something that's five times the price if it sounds almost the same I want something that can do that 80's metal vibe, as well as using it as it's intended to be used

I'm a little weary as these things are almost too cheap.
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus

Last edited by BlueIceBox : 01-05-2013 at 10:29 AM.
BlueIceBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #262
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

mine are still working (last time i tried them, anyway) but i'm not exactly taxing them with home use.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #263
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

My two are still going strong & sounding great - and one of them is the classic flanger.

If you want to hear it in action, I use it occasionally on this unfinished track:
https://soundcloud.com/garybillington/wip-song014
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #264
Fisheth24
UG's only Dean user

As much as Tim will hate me hehe.

Mine still works!

Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #265
SvennStar

Anyone knows what one will be better for john mayerish/SRV sounds, AC or American?
SvennStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #266
orangutan22

I bought 5 overdrive/distortion (4 Joyos, 1 MXR) pedals and did blind testing along with my son before we got too used to them (so we did not 'know' which is which yet by tone).

The pedals are: Ultimate Drive (OCR), British Sound, Plexi Drive (Plexitone?), US Dream (Riot), and MXR Badass Modified OD.

The available amps were: Jet City JCA22H (SLO channel), Egnater Tweaker 15, Orange Micro Terror, and a Greta.

First we tested as overdrives. So each pedal was run with little or no gain, using the level to drive the amps. For this, dismiss the Greta, as it does not really overdrive very well. Awesome amp for its little niche tone and response, but does not sound so good with pedal overdrive. I'll cut the overdrive discussion short, as there was really no comparison. The MXR was by far the best for us. It was transparent and effective on all (non Greta) amps. The Ultimate Drive was serviceable as an overdrive, but added a lot of color, which is not what we were looking for in an overdrive.

The we tested as distortion pedals. For this we set the amps as flat an clean as possible, including moving the JCS22H to the 'cleaner' channel, which is still crunchy with any gain above 10 oclock (we set it with barely any gain). This was far more interesting for the Joyos. The pedals were all run at pretty high gain. The MXR was on full gain since (since it is a really low gain pedal), as was the Hot Plexi (for reason described below). The US Dream was run at maybe 2 oclock gain as well as dimed gain with the guitar volume moved around. The British Sound was run all over the place, looking for something that worked on the non Greta amps.

First, the Greta. They were all horrible (including the MXR) EXCEPT the British Sound. I guess the British Sound Voice knob is something of a speaker simulator, and the pedal as a whole is more of a whole-amp simulator, which meshes nicely somehow with the Greta. My Greta is now a very dynamic general purpose amp with the British Sound in front of it, and no longer just a cute little one trick pony.

In front of the other amps, the British Sound was weird, flubby, and noisy. In the loop of the JCA and Egnater it was much better, but not worth it. The response, gain, tone, and voice of the JCA and Egnater's own gains are better alternatives than the British Sound in the loop. IOW this pedal brought nothing to the table for anything expect the Greta. So that's where it sits now.

The remaining pedals all brought something new to the table sitting in front of the three non Greta amps, and they all rated about the same in front of each amp clean (side note: the Egnater takes distortion pedals better than the JCA and Orange in front, while the JCA takes EQ and modulation better than the Egnator in the loop. I think this is because the Egnater relies more on its power stage for tone, while the JCA, especially in SLO mode, leans more on all those 12ax7s in the pre amp).

My sons favorite, by a rather large margin, was the Hot Plexi. The Hot Plexi does have downsides though, which he does not mind given the tone and awesome volume rollback. The Hot Plexi basically has one setting. The volume barely reaches unity on full, so it is always on full. The tone is just a mud knob turned down, so it is also always on full. The dist (gain) knob is also always on full, because "why not" when the volume rollback on the guitar works so well. IOW, the guitar knob does everything the dist knob can do and more. So the Hot Plexi is a one trick pony, but that trick is very very nice.

My favorite, which surprised me a lot, was the US Dream. It says it is "tube amp like" (or at least Riot marketing does), and maybe I can buy that with respect to nice volume rolloff, which it does have. However, what I like about the US Dream is that its tone itself is distinctly not tube-like. It is a great alternative. It has all the dynamic response of a tube preamp, but the clipping is unique. It it a different sort of creamy, articulate, but still bitey distortion. Very nice. The Hot Plexi was close and may even a touch better for dynamic rhythm playing (VHesque for example), but for single note and even triad laden leads, the US Dream surpassed the Hot Plexi. The richness was just thicker, smoother, and fatter, while still cutting.

The pedal I was looking forward to the most turned out to be a disappointment on my amps. The reviews are all great for the Ultimate Drive (OCR), but for us it was just not in the game with the Plexi and Dream. It is a darker looser distortion. However, if I were to need a single pedal to do both overdrive AND distortion, the Ultimate Drive might be a good choice (since it is sort of in between pure OD and pure distortion, and has a lot of color), or maybe if I had a bright Fender Twin or something that needs its dirt pedal to be darker. But I don't, so the Ultimate Drive was lackluster for us. Also, I do not think the dynamics on the Ultimate Drive are quite as good as the Plexi and Dream.

Last edited by orangutan22 : 01-29-2013 at 12:43 PM.
orangutan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #267
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ good info there, thanks for that post

i think my hot plexi has a fair amount of level on tap, though? But i agree it needs the tone up (even though that makes it very bright), and the volume knob roll-off is great.

also it's no surprise the badass is the best booster as it's really the only one of those which is really used much as a booster. far as i'm aware it's a modded sd1.

i haven't tried the us dream or the british sound (or the badass).

Old 01-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #268
orangutan22

Sound-wise the MXR is like a modded tubescreamer. I have not tried an SD-1 in a very long time. Well beyond any accurate sonic memory.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #269
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah the sd1 is basically a ts with asymmetrical clipping (more or less). i think one of the diy pedal forums reversed the mxr, and said it was asymmetrical, but but yeah i mean they're both fairly close.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #270
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

I added the Ultimate Drive to my pedal collection just before Xmas, for me it works awesomely. I use a Gibson LP Studio into a Vox AC4 stack and have the Ultimate Drive paired up with a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic for all my distortion/overdrive needs. The SDTTC is usually set for a bit of crunch on the rhythm channel, the Ultimate Drive is my "heavy rhythm" pedal, then the lead channel on the SDTTC is for lead.

What surprised me most though, is when I use the two pedals together. With the Ultimate Drive in front of the SDTTC, I expected the rhythm channel to boost the signal and provide a slightly heavier tone, but if anything it actually calms it down a bit and adds a nice smoothness for a completely different tone altogether.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #271
greeny23
Mechromancer

MXR > Joyo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock05
would a pedalboard make my rc20xl loop station sound better? the playback on this thing sucks with batteries and the power supply.
greeny23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 AM   #272
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny23
MXR > Joyo.

Subjective.

Fact: MXR cost > Joyo cost
Jet City JCA22H
Old 01-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #273
orangutan22

The UD/OCR seems to have a dark, unfuzzy, well defined (clear?) sort of clipping. I could imagine it would work really well as a complement/control to a rig that is getting a little unruly with its gain (with respect to a given player's taste).

I have two MXR 10 band EQs in my chain (one in loop, one as first thing after guitar), which means my tone is already well sculpted for my taste. So the UD/OCR just isn't a puzzle piece my particular chain needs.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #274
Stoneblue13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettacheese
We are starting a list of Joyo pedals. Please give some information about the pedal, the price, sound, what it is a possible clone of, etc. Any other pertinent information is welcome. Let this be a list to help others making decisions buying these pedals.
I will start, others feel free to chime in and add as needed. Thanks in advance and Cheers!

Vintage Overdrive-$39.99 USD, appears to be cloned after the Ibanez TS9. Great overdrive pedal, can be used as a boost. Works like any tubescreamer or overdrive pedal. When put after distortion can tighten up the sound, when added to clean can give a nice added blues-y punch to the mix.

Ultimate Overdrive-$39.99 USD, appears to be cloned after the OCD. Many people have said that they are just straight replicas of the OCD. Great pedal!

Digital Delay-$39.99 USD, has adjustable delay sounds and has the ability to change the level at which the delay is prominent in the overall sound. Very rich sound, some think it sound very analog rather than digital. Can be blended very well with other sounds to create unique sounds, at a lower tempo it can even sound like a reverb.

Comparison/Possibly clones of website:
http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewt...i+drive#p180644

Joyo website:
http://www.joyoaudio.com/en/product/fl_26.html

Video Comparisons:
ultimate drive
vintage od
ultimate drive vs ocd
digital delay vs boss dm2

A friend turned me onto this site and the first thing I saw was a thread about "Joyo pedals"

I got my first taste of the Joyo line today... I received my Joyo "California" pedal today.
Yes...it is made in China....but ...HOLY CRAP...THIS THING ROCKS ! ! !

The California pedal is suppose to emulate the Mesa Boogie MK II amp.
I think this thing made my Crate Vintage Club 50 sound like something bigger than it is ! !

The pedals are clones of the Tech 21 (Liverpool/Blonde/British) and Fulltone line.
For $40 you absolutely can not go wrong. This California pedal was rockin' right out of the box.

If you want to go pay $150+ for a boutique pedal...be my guest. I think I am gonna invest a few more dollars and beef up my pedal board with some faithfull recreations at a fraction of the price. Next pedals I am going to purchase will be the Joyo "Ultimate Overdrive (FullTone OCD clone) and the Joyo Digital Delay. Will get back to y'all and let you know how all that pans out.

For now....this Joyo California pedal is knockin' my head around with the tones I am getting. I highly suggest ya try a few of these out. I've seen them ripped apart and they are exactly the same components as the more expensive pedals. Me...I gonna save me some cash and have me a gooooooooood time with these pedals ! ! !

See ya while I flee ya ! ! !

Stoneblue13
Stoneblue13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #275
Stoneblue13

A friend turned me onto this site and the first thing I saw was a thread about "Joyo pedals"

I got my first taste of the Joyo line today... I received my Joyo "California" pedal today.
Yes...it is made in China....but ...HOLY CRAP...THIS THING ROCKS ! ! !

The California pedal is suppose to emulate the Mesa Boogie MK II amp.
I think this thing made my Crate Vintage Club 50 sound like something bigger than it is ! !

The pedals are clones of the Tech 21 (Liverpool/Blonde/British) and Fulltone line.
For $40 you absolutely can not go wrong. This California pedal was rockin' right out of the box.

If you want to go pay $150+ for a boutique pedal...be my guest. I think I am gonna invest a few more dollars and beef up my pedal board with some faithfull recreations at a fraction of the price. Next pedals I am going to purchase will be the Joyo "Ultimate Overdrive (FullTone OCD clone) and the Joyo Digital Delay. Will get back to y'all and let you know how all that pans out.

For now....this Joyo California pedal is knockin' my head around with the tones I am getting. I highly suggest ya try a few of these out. I've seen them ripped apart and they are exactly the same components as the more expensive pedals. Me...I gonna save me some cash and have me a gooooooooood time with these pedals ! ! !

See ya while I flee ya ! ! !

Stoneblue13
Stoneblue13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #276
fgy41

I have been playing with the Joyo Vintage Overdrive and the 6 Band EQ for a couple months now with no issues.

Well the Vintage Overdrive has a small issue, when you dime all three controls it gives off high pitched squealing noise even when the pedal is off or on. It does go away though when you turn the tone knob back a bit to about 4 oclock or if I throw a buffered pedal in front of it. The EQ is slicker than a frogs fart though.
fgy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #277
FoolOnThePlanet
Listen to the pillows

I'm debating between the Vintage OD and the Sweet Baby, any opinions? I'm looking for a versatile and dynamic OD that'll get me a nice blues sound and also a nice rock sound.
FoolOnThePlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #278
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

the vintage od is a tubescreamer clone. the sweet baby is a clone of the mad professor sweet honey overdrive, which is more of an open and jangly drive.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #279
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah- the sweet baby has more of an edge to it, and more bass/less ts mid hump. it's probably better for what he wants... assuming it'll be used into a clean amp. will it?

the ultimate drive might be worth a try, too. And allegedly/supposedly the deluxe crunch is a fulltone plimsoul clone, but I haven't tried it. Might also be worth considering.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #280
FoolOnThePlanet
Listen to the pillows

I know the VO is a TS, but my only OD experience is my BD-2, so I don't know if I want a TS clone or not haha...from the clips I've heard, I like them both, but I might be leaning towards the Sweet Baby...one thing I love about the BD-2 is the dynamics, I can go from slight break up to pretty heavy OD just with my volume knob on the guitar, and it seems that the Sweet Baby has that as well...but there's no doubt the TS is a classic for that blues tone...

Yeah I play through a Twin Reverb RI so its definitely into a clean amp lol...the ultimate drive I had my eye on but I think it's a little too much gain for me and I've never been a real big fan of the OCD sound.
FoolOnThePlanet is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: