Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
kurtfletcher

Diy 1/4" Jack Splitter Help!

Does anyone have a schematic or a diagram to build a 1/4" Jack splitter? Something that will allow 1 input (i.e. Guitar) to go out to 4 outputs (Amps e.t.c.)
Many Thanks.
kurtfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

http://cathbard.com/images/temp/ABY.png

Cathbard posted this, its a splitter for two amps, it will get you an idea. Modify as needed.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
kurtfletcher

Unfortunately my electronic skills are not that good, It makes no sense to me! Do you have anything a bit more basic :-P
Old 04-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
end_citizen
New bird. Flightless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtfletcher
Does anyone have a schematic or a diagram to build a 1/4" Jack splitter? Something that will allow 1 input (i.e. Guitar) to go out to 4 outputs (Amps e.t.c.)
Many Thanks.

You've basically got 2 options. You can do a passive version (kind of what was shown in the previous post) or a buffered version.

The passive version is much simpler to build (just some wires, switches, and jacks). However, your signal is divided in 4 to go to the different amps.

The buffered version is a little trickier to build, but not hard. A couple resistors, some op-amps, and maybe a few capacitors as well. The plus side of this is a buffer puts out the same signal that came into it. You have to power it (with a 9v battery or power supply). You'll get better results this way, but you may not find it necessary.

Let me know which one you are more interested in, and I can draw up a diagram for you. Here's some docs about buffers: http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Buffers

Learn the gist of tube amps
end_citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Old 04-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
kurtfletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by end_citizen
You've basically got 2 options. You can do a passive version (kind of what was shown in the previous post) or a buffered version.

The passive version is much simpler to build (just some wires, switches, and jacks). However, your signal is divided in 4 to go to the different amps.

The buffered version is a little trickier to build, but not hard. A couple resistors, some op-amps, and maybe a few capacitors as well. The plus side of this is a buffer puts out the same signal that came into it. You have to power it (with a 9v battery or power supply). You'll get better results this way, but you may not find it necessary.

Let me know which one you are more interested in, and I can draw up a diagram for you. Here's some docs about buffers: http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Buffers

End_Citizen Thankyou for your information. Yes a passive version would be ideal as I am not very knowledgable on resistors e.t.c.

I've had a go at building a passive AB/Y Box before that works extremely well. rather than having it go out to two outputs, i have switched it around so that I have two guitars going to one output. This way when playing live I can merely press a button and switch guitars rather than unplugging etc.

Anyway, Yes If you could draw me up a Passive diagram, that would be most kind.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
end_citizen
New bird. Flightless

Images for jacks stolen from http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=87

The jacks I'm showing are these: http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=24

This will ground out the inputs of the unused amp. So, that should prevent weird noises from those amps. Also, this can be expanded to have LEDs to show you which is on without getting a different switch.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
kurtfletcher

Brilliant, that's perfect thankyou!
Old 04-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
Viban
UG's resident bum

so, if I understand end citizen correct all you would need for this is 5 jacks and 4 DPDT switches?
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
end_citizen
New bird. Flightless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
so, if I understand end citizen correct all you would need for this is 5 jacks and 4 DPDT switches?

For the passive version, yes + wire. The active version which would ensure minimal signal loss would require a little more than that.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

I like your schematic. Pictures of the actual components.

Maybe you started a new trend?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
end_citizen
New bird. Flightless

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
I like your schematic. Pictures of the actual components.

Maybe you started a new trend?

A lot of people aren't sure which wire goes to which part of the jack. Smallbear's picture makes it very easy for me to explain. When talking circuits for pedals or amps, I typically go schematic for time's sake.

To the TS, you can get by with a SPDT switch and achieve the same results, but I can't find a well priced one (nearly $8 for one Carling brand). Also, with this setup you can add LEDs to show which amps are active if your ears aren't working that particular day.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #13
Viban
UG's resident bum

so I used that schematic and wired everything up aside from the input jack, they only had 4 of the kind in the picture and then one kind with some form of box enclosure (see picture) my question is, which terminal does the hot go to and which does the ground go to?

there is one terminal around the collar, and one at the bottom.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #14
end_citizen
New bird. Flightless

Collar probably = ring. The one at the bottom is probably the tip (see previous diagram).

If you've got a multimeter or ohm-meter, you can plug in a cable and see which one is going to the tip and which one is going to the ring.

SIDE NOTE THAT IS NOT IMPORTANT FOR THIS PROJECT: What is being called the ring in that diagram is actually the sleeve. I don't know why they decided to label it the ring when that is for stereo jacks.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #15
Viban
UG's resident bum

hey I did some testing today and for whatever reason when I flip the switch wired up to the jack all I get is hum/static sound, could you please take a look over my wiring to make sure I don't have something crossed?

the first picture is the wiring on the switches, the wires that go upwards are going towards the input
the second picture is the jacks themselves, the color of my ground wire is green and the hot is the red, any help is appreciated thanks in advance.

also the switch all the way to the left is the one that the ground to the input goes to
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (6).JPG (49.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg photo (7).JPG (57.5 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Viban : 05-02-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #16
end_citizen
New bird. Flightless

It's hard to tell from those photos, but it looks like you don't have any of the signal wires hooked up to go to the amp.

The brown wires in my diagram are attached at both the top right and bottom left corners of the switches.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #17
Viban
UG's resident bum

did not know that, I'l get on it tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #18
LeviMan_2001

Also look up ground loops. You will have ground loops and hum like mad connecting 4 amps together. Just do a search on google or youtube. There are plenty of videos, articles, and things explaining ground loops
Old 05-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #19
Viban
UG's resident bum

end citizen your schematic worked beautifully, here is a video if you wanna see it in action , great job on the schematic and circuit design
Old 05-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #20
end_citizen
New bird. Flightless

Glad to know it's working for you.

Rate This Thread: