Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
Joeballz

Do i need F spacing pickups?

Do I need f spacing pickups in a prs se custom? It does not have a tremolo on it.
Joeballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
stonyman65
Unregistered User

No. F Spaced/Trembucker pickups where designed for guitars with Fender-style string spacing and Floyd Rose-style string spacing. A guitar with a more traditional style bridge (ie Gibson style) can just use regular spaced pickups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Actually some 'Gibson style' bridges are better off with f-spaced pickups. Also there are some vibratos that are fine with 'regular' spacing.

Simply measure the distance between the 1st and 6th strings as they are over the bridge pickup. That measurement will tell you what pickup pole spacing you need.

If you still aren't sure, go for f-spaced pickups. If the strings sit outside the poles (normal-spaced pickup with f-spaced strings) then you can get weak output on the 1st and 6th strings, but if the strings sit inside the poles (regular-spaced strings with an f-spaced pickup) then the output should still be normal.

Just bear in mind that some f-spaced pickups don't just have their poles spaced differently but are also longer and thinner too, and require specific mounting rings. Seymour Duncan do this with their 'trembucker' pickups and Gibson have been known to do it too. Fender, DiMarzio, Bill Lawrence and most other manufacturers make f-saced pickups with normal outer dimensions.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
Ghostmaker

Measure it, but I am certain that yes you will need an F spaced bridge pickup.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
gregs1020
Hi mom!

you NEVER "need" F-spaced.

ever.

imo.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Twidler
Hairy arsed Scot

I think prs are more like ibanez spacing, not F spacing or regular but somewhere in between just to be awkward lol. Anyway the E string will pass over the pole just not right in the middle.

And yes you do need F spacing on a floyd equipped guitar gregs, the pole pieces aren't lined up at all with regular pickups
Twidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
EspTro

what you need to do is not take out those PRS pickups cause those things are amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
EspTro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:42 AM   #8
MrFlibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspTro
what you need to do is not take out those PRS pickups cause those things are amazing
The pickups in SEs really are not ''amazing''. Hell, personally I don't think the pickups in MIA PRSs are ''amazing''. They're alright but thy're made to be jack-of-all-trades pickups so no matter what you play you can always get something more suitable for your sound.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:49 AM   #9
TubeTone
Gear Store & Amp Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
you NEVER "need" F-spaced.

ever.

imo.

you're so wrong, I don't even know what to say

The best way is to take a ruler and measure the string spacing for yourself. How hard is it?

Some Gibson guitars (and most PRS) are better off with 53mm (F-spaced).
TubeTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeTone
you're so wrong, I don't even know what to say

The best way is to take a ruler and measure the string spacing for yourself. How hard is it?

Some Gibson guitars (and most PRS) are better off with 53mm (F-spaced).

i knew this would happen. say what you want, that's your opinion. i clearly stated that was mine.

f-spaced isn't optimal for gibsons. fenders and floyd spaced (bridge) guitars yes, like most superstrats.

when you can post some form of an example where the same guitar/amp/everything except the pup spacing is different, and a clear difference is heard (by humans, not dogs) i'll retract.

until then, have a nice day.

i use my ears to judge these things. f-spaced "should" be more optimal, but i've put countless pups in different guitars over the years and guess what? crank up the amp and it doesn't matter what spacing you are using.

plus read the title and focus on the word "need".

you don't "need" f-spaced. it's not like if you don't put in a "F" spaced pup the guitar won't work. derp.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
poppameth
Lord of Freaky Dingos

I've got standard spaced Duncan 59s in an Ibanez RG270DX, which would be better off with F-spaced. My high E string loses volume when down picking but sound fine when up picking. Down picking pushes it just outside the area where the pickups grabs the signal well. It really depends on just how far out of range using a standard pup with a f-spaced bridge will put the strings. Some guitars will behave differently than others.
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall 6100LM Head with Slash Signature 4x12 half stack.
http://gideond.wordpress.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
MrFlibble

Quote:
f-spaced isn't optimal for gibsons..
Actually, it is for some of the newer models. Of course it also depends on how you define 'f-spaced', since some pickup manufacturers makes pickups in either 48mm or 52mm, or some do 50mm and 52, or some do 48mm and 51mm...

Point is, if you were only going to buy one spacing then it makes more sense to always buy f-spaced. You can't **** up with f-spaced pickups but you can **** up with ''regular'' spaced pickups, so if anything it's the smaller spacing that you never need.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
TubeTone
Gear Store & Amp Workshop

Quote:
i knew this would happen. say what you want, that's your opinion. i clearly stated that was mine.

f-spaced isn't optimal for gibsons. fenders and floyd spaced (bridge) guitars yes, like most superstrats.

when you can post some form of an example where the same guitar/amp/everything except the pup spacing is different, and a clear difference is heard (by humans, not dogs) i'll retract.

until then, have a nice day.

i use my ears to judge these things. f-spaced "should" be more optimal, but i've put countless pups in different guitars over the years and guess what? crank up the amp and it doesn't matter what spacing you are using.

plus read the title and focus on the word "need".

you don't "need" f-spaced. it's not like if you don't put in a "F" spaced pup the guitar won't work. derp.

Wow, too much coffee today?

Dude, please accept my sincere apologies that I have better things to do than go change the pups on my guitars and record samples, just because someone on the Internet happens to think that every single pickup manufacturer on this planet is an idiot.

I have owned various guitars and I've swapped pickups on most of them numerously (we are a BKP and Lundgren pickups dealer). Here's a pic of my last guitar. These are the first burned chrome Warpigs in the world, btw Notice how the bridge pickup spacing is a bit off.

When I changed the pickup to a 53mm one, I noticed an improvement in clarity and note separation.

BTW, I didn't say you absolutely NEED it. If you have a pup lying around, you can stick it in, regardless of what spacing it is. But if you're getting a new pup, getting one with spacing that doesn't match your guitar is simply STUPID.

P.S. If you don't hear something, it doesn't meant nobody else does.
TubeTone is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: