Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE

UG Metalcore album (Planning?)

A year or two ago there was a planning thread for a metalcore album; tracks were submitted but it was never put together. I would like to try this.

I realize there is a debate over what is metalcore or not (or nu-metalcore or whatever). So for the sake of diversity and simplicity, if it is remotely considered metalcore, then go ahead and submit it; other heavier styles of *prefix*-core are welcome (deathcore, mathcore, heavier modern post-hardcore, etc). I don't care if it sounds like Converge, Bring Me the Horizon, blessthefall, early Atreyu, early Bullet for my Valentine, early Avenged Sevenfold, Killswitch Engage, Suicide Silence, Dillinger Escape Plan, etc. If you have something to contribute, we'd love to hear it.

Considering a lot of people don't play all the instruments, it'll be up to you guys to figure out how to collaborate. We'll need vocals--clean and/or screamed--unless it's an instrumental, guitars, bass, and drums, as these are the standard, and typically only, instruments found; however, if you can work in a synth or samples then that works too (I don't want to restrict any creativity).

It is recommended you state what you are willing and able to play in this thread and I will OP it. When collaborative efforts are figured out, please specifically tell me who is working together for what song so I know how to mix them. All I have is Audacity to work with, so convert your file types appropriately.

To submit your songs, please upload them to a site that is easy (and free) to access and download please.

There is no set due date, I want as much time as necessary to get the tracks needed. It'll be my first attempt at mixing an album, so I might take a while when we get everything

Hopefully this takes off. Have fun

EDIT: As there is some confusion over what metalcore may or may not be, I will post some examples and verbal ideas. They'll be more mainstream choices as those are more accessible and they can get the idea across just fine
Metalcore is basically, outside of a few aesthetic differences, similar to thrash metal. Whereas thrash metal was influenced by NWOBHM and hardcore punk, metalcore is influenced by hardcore punk and thrash and groove metal. The early metalcore sound was more rooted in hardcore and had a very raw, crusty sound.
Later on, bands like Killswitch Engage came out with a more polished and melodic sound, more rooted in the thrash/groove tradition (Pantera, Slayer, and Metallica influences are obvious, especially Pantera). Even more melodic bands like Atreyu and Bullet for my Valentine had influences of melodic death metal and 3rd gen post-hardcore or emocore (they've since moved onto a more mainstream metal/hard rock sound). Avenged Sevenfold had a traditional metalcore sound early on, then moved onto the polished metalcore style before going into a more mainstream metal sound. Bands like blessthefall have a big post-hardcore influence, while bands like Attack! Attack! and Vampires Everywhere! have incorporate elements of tehcno/dance.
Deathcore is heavier than metalcore, influenced by death metal as well as hardcore. Suffocation was an early band that put this sound into practice, and it became relatively popular a few years ago with bands like Job for a Cowboy (who progressed into a more metal than hardcore sound later on), Whitechapel, Suicide Silence, and All Shall Perish.
Grindcore is similar to deathcore, only it has a less organized, more frantic style interested in making noise-based songs, which tend to be short. Napalm Death, Pig Destroyer, Carcass, and Anal Cunt are notable bands.
Mathcore takes influences from grindcore, metalcore, and jazz, as well as other metal and hardcore styles. It features odd time signatures, tempo shifts, and key changes, so it is often has a progressive style too. Sometimes there are jazzy interludes. The Dillinger Escape Plan are the poster-child band of the genre. The poorly received song by Design the Skyline "Surrounded by Silence" has a definite mathcore and techno influence, although their Nevaeh album moved onto a more deathcore sound and had a slightly less negative reception.

Traditional sound
Converge
Integrity
Earth Crisis
Avenged Sevenfold
UnderOATH
Melodic
Killswitch Engage
As I Lay Dying
Bring Me the Horizon
Avenged Sevenfold
Bullet for my Valentine
Atreyu
blessthefall
Attack Attack!
Vampires Everywhere!
Deathcore
Whitechapel
Suicide Silence
Grindcore
Napalm Death
Anal Cunt
Mathcore
The Dillinger Escape Plan
The Number Twelve Looks Like You

I realize that's a lot of stuff to mud through and some of it may not be your guys's thing, even if you like some metalcore, but upon request I thought it would be a good idea to give a general idea of what is acceptable. I realize some people may be curious about djent, and if you can incorporate a djent sound into these styles presented, go for it, but if you want to make something like Periphery or TesseracT then this is not the place, but please make a Djent Album Thread if you are feeling up to it Anyway, I hope these examples helped

Contributors
Gibson_SG_uzr55: Screamed vocals, ideas for guitar or bass
Theogonia: Synth/keys
damian_91: guitar, 7-string
ChemicalFire: Guitar, bass, drums
millarso: possible clean vocals, guitar
MatalliSka: possible guitar, bass
Nietsche: Guitar, bass
Simsimius: possible guitar, drums, bass
Jako215: Guitar, 7-string guitar, program drums
Hriday_hazarika: keys, atmosphere, percussion, melodrama strings, possible guitar, clean vocals
Lt. DustyBanana: Guitar, bass, program drums, production/mixing, possible high screams
Jon777: Clean vocals, Drop-D or standard tuned (no lower) bass
Random3: Guitar, bass
Brownerz: Guitar
Ometh: Guitar, death and low vocals, possible bass
Rockfan7: Rhythm guitar
WillT08: Harsh vocals, drums
oneblackened: low-tuned Unearth style guitar, mixing
ShevanelFlip: Mix/mastering
jwizzle5786: screams
So-Cal: Guitar, bass, drums, mixing
hornet224: song idea
Macabre_Turtle: Guitar, 7-string guitar, bass, 5-string bass
IcanHasBass: bass, any tuning
Geldin: Guitar, 7-string guitar
Vendetta V: Lead and rhythm guitar. Has GP6
ChucklesMginty: Bass
dr_shred: clean and screamed vocals, guitar
guitar_ben94: guitar
Scowmoo: Screamed (Fry, False Chord, Thrash metal, melodic) and clean vocals, Guitar, 7-string guitar
MatrixClaw: Screams, certain cleans, guitar, bass, program drums, mixing/mastering.
lefty lefterson: guitar leads

So far, laid-to-waste, vallenic, and Theogonia777 have song they can do themselves. Theo needs a drummer. Bostonrocks and MatrixClaw are doing a song together

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Last edited by Gibson_SG_uzr55 : 09-25-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Gibson_SG_uzr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

Well coincidentally I'm supposed to make a deathcore video with a couple of my Media Production buddies, which would require of course writing a song, so I could submit that to here as well, though I have absolutely no idea about the time frame for getting that done, so who knows. What is the approximate due date for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
write 3 page long posts with the wrong opinions until people who don't actually read here or know anything about music theory promote you

worked for 20T

Now you have no excuse...
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE

No foreseen due date, it can take as long as it needs to have a full length album. I will update the OP

Snake?

Snake?

Quote:
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers
Old 05-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Jako215
UG's Fat Frendo

I have tons of stuff that needs to be finished that would be perfect for this. I'll try getting some songs out.

iSupport the Philadelphia Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, Union, and Sixers.
Dallas Sucks!

Jako215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
rockfan7
UG's Best Surface Tension

I feel like I should just because I now want to be on every UG album

I will depending on the deadline.

RIYL: La Dispute, mewithoutYou, Balance & Composure

Best Kept Secret

RIYL: post-rock/pop-rock
rockfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
damian_91

Put me down for guitars, bro.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/damian-91

My Gear:

Misha Mansoor Signature Carvin DC 747
Boss NF-1 Noise Gate (x10)
damian_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

I can do pretty much all the core instruments apart from Vocals, but I'm definitely interested in doing something for this.

Even if it's just an excuse to write some scene as **** synthy metalcore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

Cool. Though I would pretty much do that one song by myself, if that's fine. Other than that, I can contribute some synth/keys as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
write 3 page long posts with the wrong opinions until people who don't actually read here or know anything about music theory promote you

worked for 20T

Now you have no excuse...
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
millarso
Cube Phenomenoligist

I would be happy to contribute feedback and possibly clean vocals if I can get into my school's recording room. Maybe guitars if there isn't a wave of people doing that already.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
valennic
No longer Adam West.

Minimum length of song? Does it HAVE to be metalcore? Can it be loosely deathcorish? >_>

EDIT: Basically what I'm saying is sign me up, since I can do either without an issue.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

valennic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
MetallicSka
Back From The Dead

I might be able to contribute some guitar and bass

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
MetallicSka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

I suppose I might as well have a go at this. I won't be doing anything worthwhile with my time apart from music over the summer holidays in the first place.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
Simsimius
Peace. Love. Solidarity.

Y'know, this seems really interesting. Been listening to Converge recently... Jane Doe is an epic album.

I might be interesting in collaborating [and I'll actually dedicate effort/skill instead of hard-arsing].
I like the relationship between guitar and drums a LOT, so if there's interesting rhythms going on I'd love to take part.
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO

Last edited by Simsimius : 05-05-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Simsimius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
SkepsisMetal
./.\.

Are vocals a necessity?
I wouldn't put my name down to collab though, I'm a pretty shitty guitarist.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE

Okay so Theogonia has a solo effort, and can collab synth/keys, damiam_91 can do guitars, ChemicalFire can do any instrument apart from vocals, millarso might be able to do clean vox and guitars, MetalliSka might be able to do guitar and bass.

Nietsche and Simsimius, if you contribute what instruments can you bring to the table?

vallenic, song length doesn't matter really, although if I had to choose a minimum I would say 90 seconds, give or take. No maximum length, if anyone wants to make an epic then by all means do so

I can contribute screamed vocals. I have garbage recording material as all I have is the stock mic on my laptop and a shoddy condenser mic and amp, but I can make it work, so long as I don't do anything not screaming I can contribute some ideas for guitar, since my stock laptop mic sucks I probably shouldn't directly record for the album but I can come up with some ideas for another to play.

Snake?

Snake?

Quote:
Old 05-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #16
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepsisMetal
Are vocals a necessity?
I wouldn't put my name down to collab though, I'm a pretty shitty guitarist.

You can do an instrumental if you wish, but I would like some to have vocals as it gives songs an identity, plus metalcore isn't much of an instrumental-based genre

Snake?

Snake?

Quote:
Old 05-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #17
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Nietsche and Simsimius, if you contribute what instruments can you bring to the table?

Guitar and bass definitely. Maybe harsh vocals, but I've only been attempting those for a few months, so the quality isn't fantastic.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #18
Simsimius
Peace. Love. Solidarity.

I can do guitar [although my Ibby is in standard tuning, I have my tele which I'm thinking of making D standard], but god knows if my playing is up to par. I could do drums, but only have EZDrummer. I also have access to a cheap bass too.

I guess what I might do is record a small passage [maybe a riff and a verse or chorus?] with all three instruments and see if that's good enough (or passable) to help out with the album. Gonna have to wait until after 1st June though [exams].

EDIT: I remembered have a shitty song I wrote/recorded years ago called "metalcore parody" on my profile.
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO

Last edited by Simsimius : 05-05-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Simsimius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #19
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietsche
Guitar and bass definitely. Maybe harsh vocals, but I've only been attempting those for a few months, so the quality isn't fantastic.

That's okay, I can still put you down for them.

Vallenic, I forgot to say, I stated in the OP that other heavier styles of -core like deathcore and mathcore are acceptable.

Snake?

Snake?

Quote:
Old 05-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsimius
I can do guitar [although my Ibby is in standard tuning, I have my tele which I'm thinking of making D standard], but god knows if my playing is up to par. I could do drums, but only have EZDrummer. I also have access to a cheap bass too.

I guess what I might do is record a small passage [maybe a riff and a verse or chorus?] with all three instruments and see if that's good enough (or passable) to help out with the album. Gonna have to wait until after 1st June though [exams].

There's no time table so take your time and do what you can.

Snake?

Snake?

Quote:

Rate This Thread: