Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #29021
lbj273
UG God

I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}

lbj273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #29022
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
ah right so i just realised i probably plugged my v12s (4 ohm overall) into my jet city's 8 ohm socket last night. shouldn't do any harm, right? i was only playing for maybe 10 or 15 mins, and at low volume.

*I ran my 16 ohm Palomino through an 8 ohm 1x12 for the better part of a year, probably used 2-3 hours a week, often dimed, before I got around to checking...

Didn't seem to hurt anything.

*Kids, do NOT try this at Home! This was undertaken in the home of a trained professional who was too stupid to bother looking at what he had purchased carefully!*
Old 11-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #29023
ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
ECistheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #29024
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
ah right so i just realised i probably plugged my v12s (4 ohm overall) into my jet city's 8 ohm socket last night. shouldn't do any harm, right? i was only playing for maybe 10 or 15 mins, and at low volume.

It is my understanding that a mismatch like that, or even no load at all, either fries the OT or does nothing... Very rarely anything in between... So if it's still working fine then I'd say you're alright.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #29025
gumbilicious
beginner

most amps take a mismatch into consideration, and even normal impedance varies wildly. so i don't really worry about a guitar amp being able to 'handle' a mismatch, they can usually handle mismatch quite well. they may sound different or lose some volume, but it probably won't break

no load at all is bad. you want at least some kinda load there. no load is like covering your mouth and holding your nose and exhaling hard enough for air to come out your ear drum. might not break it, but it is really stressful.

we totally jacked some power tubes and a resistor on my buddies amp one time, forgetting that we unplugged the speaker cable to try another head. lucky we didn't lose the OT. i unplug my amps now whenever i remove the speaker cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
*I ran my 16 ohm Palomino through an 8 ohm 1x12 for the better part of a year, probably used 2-3 hours a week, often dimed, before I got around to checking...

*Kids, do NOT try this at Home! This was undertaken in the home of a trained professional who was too stupid to bother looking at what he had purchased carefully!*

i ran my music man rated at 8 ohms with a 16 ohm cabinet for years...

still works like a champ though. i ran the piss outta that amp too, it was my only amp at the time and i ran it LOUD!

i don't ever recommend people doing anything but matching impedance though. learn from my mistakes, don't use my mistakes to justify bad practice.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 11-20-2012 at 06:01 PM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #29026
gregs1020
Hi mom!

my Tokai is done with the re-fret, pup and saddle install.

picking it up tomorrow.

gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #29027
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Any of you guys seen the new 'Chrome Books'?

I don't know enough about computers to know if it might be worth while getting one.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #29028
greeny23
Mechromancer

Quote:

picking it up tomorrow.

want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock05
would a pedalboard make my rc20xl loop station sound better? the playback on this thing sucks with batteries and the power supply.
greeny23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #29029
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Quote:

picking it up tomorrow.

Pics or it's a string change.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #29030
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander

also, so proud you guys know your colors, and your dairy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Got the job! I am teh coolz.

Time to... SPEND ALL TEH MONIEZZZ!

yay!

edit:
Quote:

all that guff went down when i was away on holiday too, which sucked. the whole situation could maybe have been defused if it hadn't been the worst timing ever.

yeah, so sad, you weren't even around, still got in trouble.

at least you can say you were apart of one of the craziest
things ever happened on ug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011

Last edited by jj1565 : 11-20-2012 at 07:12 PM.
jj1565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #29031
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

wait what happened.

i missed it.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #29032
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
wait what happened.

i missed it.

i didn't see it either.

-ae
Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #29033
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:

yeah i mean i did a worse mismatch with my laney before (thought i was plugged into the 16 ohm jack, turns out i was plugged into the 4 ohm jack ) and it did no harm. I figure i'm ok, but I'm not gonna make a habit of it. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
It is my understanding that a mismatch like that, or even no load at all, either fries the OT or does nothing... Very rarely anything in between... So if it's still working fine then I'd say you're alright.

yeah that's what i was thinking. Also a mismatch is way better than no load at all. you have a fighting chance with a mismatch, kind of thing. the amp would far rather see any load (even the wrong load) than no load, as far as i'm aware.

I don't think i've tried it since (but it was still working when i last tried it, so i assume it's ok). my vht 1x12 cab came today and i was putting the gb128 into it. Sounds pretty good and it is ply and all. hard to complain for ~£80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
most amps take a mismatch into consideration, and even normal impedance varies wildly. so i don't really worry about a guitar amp being able to 'handle' a mismatch, they can usually handle mismatch quite well. they may sound different or lose some volume, but it probably won't break

no load at all is bad. you want at least some kinda load there. no load is like covering your mouth and holding your nose and exhaling hard enough for air to come out your ear drum. might not break it, but it is really stressful.

we totally jacked some power tubes and a resistor on my buddies amp one time, forgetting that we unplugged the speaker cable to try another head. lucky we didn't lose the OT. i unplug my amps now whenever i remove the speaker cable.

i ran my music man rated at 8 ohms with a 16 ohm cabinet for years...

still works like a champ though. i ran the piss outta that amp too, it was my only amp at the time and i ran it LOUD!

i don't ever recommend people doing anything but matching impedance though. learn from my mistakes, don't use my mistakes to justify bad practice.

yep, exactly (and that's what i'd always heard, thanks for the info). I always mean to run correct matches, but if you accidentally run a mismatch for a little while, it most likely won't do any harm. But that's no justification for actually running a mismatch all the time.

Quote:

picking it up tomorrow.

yay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
yeah, so sad, you weren't even around, still got in trouble.

at least you can say you were apart of one of the craziest
things ever happened on ug

yeah. i mean, maybe we should have flagged up what was going on sooner (i'd disagree, obviously, when i was around it was clear to me anyway that it was just banter and nothing was actually ever going to come of it)- but the shit got way more serious and escalated when i was away and unable to do anything about it (and didn't even know it was going on, either). I didn't appreciate that they tried to say that I didn't flag it up- I wasn't around to flag it up or try to stop it. And then they were all acting like i was just letting it happen- despite the fact i'd posted in the "mods going to be away thread" detailing precisely where i'd be away and for how long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #29034
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:

Did the same thing with Brigand/Hagen. Didn't figure out my Diezel cab was rated at 8 ohms until two weeks ago. Have had Hagen for a year at this point and Brigand since March. I play Brigand 20-30 hours a week and played the Hagen the same amount up until I got Brigand.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #29035
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny23
want.

Quote:

Quote:
yay

yeah i'm so stoked. i could not stand the stock low frets and loved the guitar. it's the first guitar i've ever had re-fretted and i can't wait to play it.

the pups were free (thanks jorge) and i've played them and know i like them. they should work well together. the shop said it sounds godly. yes, they actually said "godly".

jesus knows toan.

giggity.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #29036
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i quite like low frets (as long as they're not fretting out). i'm not super-fond of thin frets, though.

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #29037
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

Quote:

yeah i mean i did a worse mismatch with my laney before (thought i was plugged into the 16 ohm jack, turns out i was plugged into the 4 ohm jack ) and it did no harm. I figure i'm ok, but I'm not gonna make a habit of it. Thanks

yeah that's what i was thinking. Also a mismatch is way better than no load at all. you have a fighting chance with a mismatch, kind of thing. the amp would far rather see any load (even the wrong load) than no load, as far as i'm aware.

I don't think i've tried it since (but it was still working when i last tried it, so i assume it's ok). my vht 1x12 cab came today and i was putting the gb128 into it. Sounds pretty good and it is ply and all. hard to complain for ~£80

yep, exactly (and that's what i'd always heard, thanks for the info). I always mean to run correct matches, but if you accidentally run a mismatch for a little while, it most likely won't do any harm. But that's no justification for actually running a mismatch all the time.

yay

yeah. i mean, maybe we should have flagged up what was going on sooner (i'd disagree, obviously, when i was around it was clear to me anyway that it was just banter and nothing was actually ever going to come of it)- but the shit got way more serious and escalated when i was away and unable to do anything about it (and didn't even know it was going on, either). I didn't appreciate that they tried to say that I didn't flag it up- I wasn't around to flag it up or try to stop it. And then they were all acting like i was just letting it happen- despite the fact i'd posted in the "mods going to be away thread"

detailing precisely where i'd be away and for how long

So curious. Can't stand it.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #29038
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

maybe that's an elaborate double bluff

if not, check your PMs

Quote:

Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #29039
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Also, somebody add a christmas hat to my solja!

I can give it whirl if you like

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
you know what makes it worse. latter in life i found i was born cesarian, so that means my mom decided my birth date... she wanted me born the day after Christmas

worse birthday ever: 2004.

over 230,000 people died on that birthday. god that ripped my guts out all day. how the hell you supposed be happy to be born on a day like that. to this day i still remember that event on my birthday.

Maybe it was just time for you to come out?

Also, my Dad's birthday is September 11th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
yes, you def would. so would a bunch of others in here.
but i think 311 would make it his career if he could.
he's so extra dedicated.

Kinda sad really

Quote:
Must....

Not....

Respond....

No shit man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Got the job! I am teh coolz.

Time to... SPEND ALL TEH MONIEZZZ!

Congratz
Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #29040
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
So curious. Can't stand it.

Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it

-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 11-20-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: