Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #31221
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62


Yeah, the logistics of renting it out from across the country don't really make any sense. That wouldn't be a real option, probably.

The housing market is far from being at the top of a boom. So there is a somewhat real chance that buying a house could actually make me some money. There's also the chance that our monetary system collapses before then. SO yeah.


yeah. I think the thing is- don't try to make money out of it. It's a house, not an investment. You don't buy a car hoping to make money out of it. if it does make money, that's great, but don't go in trying to make money- and really don't buy into the guff estate agents (that's our word for realtors ) try to tell you. Don't buy a house you otherwise don't like because you think it might make you money. Buy a house you're willing to live in if the worst happens (i.e. if the bottom falls out of the market and you can't sell)- it's sorta like musical chairs and you need to watch you're not stuck with something you don't like if the music stops.

the main thing is not to get into negative equity. which normally means not borrowing too much. Take what the bank is willing to lend you, and divide it by like 4.

You'll never get rich my way, but you hopefully won't be destitute either

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020

how long can you rent and not spend $80,000 while keeping your money locked up safe?

quite a while.


i'm also going by the rent rates, here- here rent is high enough that it'd more or less pay your mortgage. I think i remembered reading somewhere that renting here cost you something like a couple of hundred grand more than buying- and that didn't take into account the fact that you had a house to sell when you bought!

that sucks you got bit, by the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
Man, you have the worst luck with buying new amps. Every time there's something fairly serious wrong with it. Though I guess that might be because you've bought several combos, and I tend to have problems with those as well, which is why I don't have any. Build needs to be really solid on combos to keep rattle/noise down and if it has reverb, any problems tend to be exacerbated.


yeah- i generally don't like combos either, I wouldn't buy a combo that cost too much money (though obviously being cheap increases the chance it won't be built well ). the excelsior was pretty cheap, and the black pearl was cheap enough that i was willing to take a chance (I think i noticed a little rattle when i turned the black pearl up, but it was pretty minor ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
so it's still trying to ruin your weekend.

sorry man. mojo sent.


haha thanks greg

the worst thing is i knew this'd probably happen. I should've just asked for a replacement.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.



Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-07-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #31222
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
It all depends on your area and your exact situation these days... It's not as cut and dry as it used to be. For my wife and I, what we pay in rent is probably about the same as a mortgage payment on something suitable for us... But then we'd have taxes and upkeep. Not to mention the fact that I want to move out West in a few years. It just doesn't make sense. I love renting honestly. Problem with the house? Call the landlord and it's fixed in a day for free. We can't handle a bunch of unexpected expenses right now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #31223
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62


Yeah, the logistics of renting it out from across the country don't really make any sense. That wouldn't be a real option, probably.



I live in Texas.

I rent out a house I own in Wyoming.

I make pretty good coin doing so.

__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #31224
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic
 
DeathByDestroyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
flipping is tough right now because there is so much for sale and prices have dropped a great deal.

Flipping, yeah, not a bad time to make a big investment though.

I am teh financial advisor.

Arby knows whats going down, that's what you do; get a couple of big houses and rent them out. Partition that shit up into a couple apartments if you really want to.
__________________
"True humility is being able to accept criticisms as graciously as we accept compliments."

Last edited by DeathByDestroyr : 12-07-2012 at 03:19 PM.
DeathByDestroyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #31225
gregs1020
Hi mom!
 
gregs1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
I live in Texas.

I rent out a house I own in Wyoming.

I make pretty good coin doing so.


that's the key.

if you own it, not the bank, you.

then you are in pretty good shape anywhere.

renting a property you have no mortgage on is a no brainer, you'll make money every time.

if you have a note at the bank for it, that's another whole Oprah show.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I may just make you an honorary Aussie for that one greg.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #31226
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
I live in Texas.

I rent out a house I own in Wyoming.

I make pretty good coin doing so.


The owner of my house apparently moved out West somewhere. He uses a property management company to deal with us, so it's just a matter of collecting his check at the end of the month. (Though I'm sure by the time it's all said and done he's probably not collecting much, but at least it's zero effort required on his part.)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #31227
mmolteratx
UG God
 
mmolteratx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Richardson, Texas
New stuff day.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...72#post30714272

And not using a property management company is a total PITA. Pricey, but it's worth the convenience. And is a necessity if you can't be there yourself.
__________________
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #31228
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
I live in Texas.

I rent out a house I own in Wyoming.

I make pretty good coin doing so.



you're a bamf though

i didn't mean you wouldn't make money- i meant it would be awkward to check on it etc. etc. etc.

i mean if you're willing to do that, that's great.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #31229
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
And not using a property management company is a total PITA. Pricey, but it's worth the convenience. And is a necessity if you can't be there yourself.

Ya that's what I thought. Our property managers are awesome. They've got great service people on call and are just generally great to deal with. I've rented direct from owners a few times and it was a nightmare. If you can afford it without taking a loss I'd say that's the way to go, and honestly if you can't afford it without taking a loss then you're probably not in a good position to rent anyway... Time to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
you're a bamf though

i didn't mean you wouldn't make money- i meant it would be awkward to check on it etc. etc. etc.

i mean if you're willing to do that, that's great.

Just depends on the tenants. If you luck out with good tenants then it should be easy... If you have bad luck and get a string of one shitty tenant after the next then ya that'd suck.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Last edited by tubetime86 : 12-07-2012 at 03:31 PM.
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #31230
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
^ yeah
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #31231
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
 
TNfootballfan62's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
yeah. I think the thing is- don't try to make money out of it. It's a house, not an investment. You don't buy a car hoping to make money out of it. if it does make money, that's great, but don't go in trying to make money- and really don't buy into the guff estate agents (that's our word for realtors ) try to tell you. Don't buy a house you otherwise don't like because you think it might make you money. Buy a house you're willing to live in if the worst happens (i.e. if the bottom falls out of the market and you can't sell)- it's sorta like musical chairs and you need to watch you're not stuck with something you don't like if the music stops.

the main thing is not to get into negative equity. which normally means not borrowing too much. Take what the bank is willing to lend you, and divide it by like 4.

You'll never get rich my way, but you hopefully won't be destitute either


Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
It all depends on your area and your exact situation these days... It's not as cut and dry as it used to be. For my wife and I, what we pay in rent is probably about the same as a mortgage payment on something suitable for us... But then we'd have taxes and upkeep. Not to mention the fact that I want to move out West in a few years. It just doesn't make sense. I love renting honestly. Problem with the house? Call the landlord and it's fixed in a day for free. We can't handle a bunch of unexpected expenses right now.


I think rent is probably going to end up being comparable to more expensive than a mortgage payment for me, but I'd have to actually get serious about this before I could figure that out for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
I live in Texas.

I rent out a house I own in Wyoming.

I make pretty good coin doing so.



Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
The owner of my house apparently moved out West somewhere. He uses a property management company to deal with us, so it's just a matter of collecting his check at the end of the month. (Though I'm sure by the time it's all said and done he's probably not collecting much, but at least it's zero effort required on his part.)


Dan, I think you sort of answered what I was going to ask Arby. Seems like it would be a lot of trouble managing a property from so far away? Apparently not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
well it's obviously wise to consider all your options.

that said, there's a cost to the convenience of being able to "up and leave".

i bought in feb of '04. i short sold in june of '11. thank bush for the '08 mortgage relief act of i'd have been on the hook for over $80k.

just one example and it's probably the worst that could have happened at the worst time in US history for real estate, but i got bit like a lot of other people.

so rightfully or wrongfully i look at paying a rent as insurance that i won't get bit like that again. that peace of mind for me goes a long way.

how long can you rent and not spend $80,000 while keeping your money locked up safe?

quite a while.


Yeah, I hear ya.
__________________
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootballfan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #31232
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
^

though now that i think of it, the negative equity thing might be less of a problem in the USA- isn't there some law that if the shit really hits the fan, that you can just hand back your keys and walk away? you can't do that here.

(don't quote me that you can do that in the USA, that might be total BS, that's just what I've read )

EDIT: to clarify- you still don't want to be in negative equity, lol. that really is worst case scenario. you don't want to be handing back a house which you have $200k of equity in, lol. But if you only have $20k of equity, and still owe say, $150,000 on a house which is only worth $100,000, it's the lesser of two evils.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.



Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-07-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #31233
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
Just depends on the tenants. If you luck out with good tenants then it should be easy... If you have bad luck and get a string of one shitty tenant after the next then ya that'd suck.


Agreed. I've been lucky in that the market where I'm renting has very limited rental properties available, and a LOT of willing renters. We do a comprehensive background check, require a minimum of a 1 year contract and get 1st, Last and a deposit equal to 1 months rent up front.

People who ante up that kind of coin either don't trash the place or can afford to fix it...

In the last 10 years the longest it's been empty is a little over a month one time, and that's because we decided to put in new hardwood floors between tenants, and we already had a contract with a new tenant even then.

I'll agree that sometimes it is a PITA, but isn't that the case with most anything that you get a return on?
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.

Last edited by Arby911 : 12-07-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #31234
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
I think rent is probably going to end up being comparable to more expensive than a mortgage payment for me, but I'd have to actually get serious about this before I could figure that out for sure.

Remember to factor in unforseen repairs... For me an expected expense is manageable but the unexpected ones can cause serious problems. The security of knowing that I won't have to put a new furnace in tomorrow (as an example of course) is worth a fair amount.

That's the whole thing; with rent the terms are clearly stated and are fixed, not so much with buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
Dan, I think you sort of answered what I was going to ask Arby. Seems like it would be a lot of trouble managing a property from so far away? Apparently not.

Not at all if you use a property manager. I think the owner of our house literally just collects a check. As far as I know he hasn't been involved in anything, not even the process of finding us.

That's if you can afford it though. If your mortgage payments make this no longer an option then yes it can be a nightmare. My mom's parents left her and my aunt some properties that were rented and they've been major headaches. Those are all in the same town too. I can't imagine if they had been a couple hundred miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Agreed. I've been lucky in that the market where I'm renting has very limited rental properties available, and a LOT of willing renters. We do a comprehensive background check, require a minimum of a 1 year contract and get 1st, Last and a deposit equal to 1 months rent up front.

People who ante up that kind of coin either don't trash the place or can afford to fix it...

In the last 10 years the longest it's been empty is a little over a month one time, and that's because we decided to put in new hardwood floors between tenants, and we already had a contract with a new tenant even then.

I'll agree that sometimes it is a PITA, but isn't that the case with most anything that you get a return on?

Wow first, last and security?

You can luck out for sure. One of the places mentioned above is currently rented to a friend of mine and he's an absolute pleasure to rent to. He loves projects so he does a lot of work himself rather than calling, and he even put in a really fantastic garden in the back. I think he's pretty much what landlords hope for; pay the rent, and don't bother me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #31235
CECamps
Schematic Junkie
 
CECamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Zoom H4n arrived today.

Can't wait to start using this thing!
__________________
Associations:
CEC Amplification
ASG Amps

Howdy, my name's Craig.

Member of the GB&C and GG&A "Who to Listen To" lists......listen at your own risk.
CECamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #31236
mmolteratx
UG God
 
mmolteratx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Richardson, Texas
Holy crap. Creambacks are awesome. Little more aggressive in the highs than the Greenbacks, more like my old Blackbacks. Though that might just be because they're new and haven't been broken in yet. Much stouter in the bass at high volumes than Greenbacks too. They never get flubby and the low end is a bit larger. The Splawn cab helps too. Very oversized.
__________________
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #31237
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Anyone else feel like they react to coffee like most react to cocaine? I have a cup every couple weeks and every time I'm amazed at how much the caffeine affects me. I just drank a cup and I'm completely wired now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #31238
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
 
TNfootballfan62's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tennessee
All good advice, guys. Thanks for being a sounding board.

I guess I need to decide how to go about seriously looking into this.

I plugged some numbers into a calculator to see how much money I could be loaned very roughly, and it's WAY too much. No wonder people get into trouble buying houses.
__________________
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootballfan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #31239
LaidBack
Call me Mike
 
LaidBack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Funny that I pop into this conversation (even momentarily). I'm seriously considering dumping the "buy a house" plan and just finding a place to rent. The hard part is finding (good) roommates. There's always the option of living with the gf but she's not in a place financially to move out. Most of my friends are either too unreliable to live with or it would be inconvenient for one of us. Or they are complacent at living at home.

gah
__________________
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #31240
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
 
TNfootballfan62's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tennessee
I'm done with roommates. It's worth the extra expense to me to live on my own at this point. I just have to let my lease run out.
__________________
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootballfan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:51 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.