Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #31241
LaidBack
Call me Mike
 
LaidBack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Well I could do it...but I would be really poor...like literally almost nothing left after rent and utilities. NJ is stupid expensive.
__________________
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #31242
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
 
TNfootballfan62's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tennessee
Yeah, I'm not jealous of that.
__________________
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootballfan62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #31243
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
All good advice, guys. Thanks for being a sounding board.

I guess I need to decide how to go about seriously looking into this.

I plugged some numbers into a calculator to see how much money I could be loaned very roughly, and it's WAY too much. No wonder people get into trouble buying houses.


yeah. that really didn't help the whole bubble/world financial system meltdown. people went to the bank and saw what the bank would lend them, and then borrowed it because it meant you could buy a bigger house. The bank doesn't care less if you pay back the loan (especially in a boom market), it just takes the house. And that's before you even consider that there was so much securitisation etc. that the people deciding whether to give you the loan were completely insulated from the risk.

but yeah, i mean you're meant to decide yourself how much you can borrow.

if you buy a new house (at least here) there shouldn't be that many unforseen expenses. But granted it's still more than renting (and you still have rates/property taxes). and obviously you have to furnish a new house which gets expensive pretty darn quickly.

EDIT: of course it depends very much on where you live too. if you're from central london or downtown manhattan you just couldn't buy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.



Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-07-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #31244
LaidBack
Call me Mike
 
LaidBack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
If you want to see how stupid it can be just look at the rents on the CNJ or Jersey Shore CL. $1700/ mo for a 2 bedroom house....that's pretty typical in my area.
__________________
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #31245
lbj273
UG God
 
lbj273's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack
If you want to see how stupid it can be just look at the rents on the CNJ or Jersey Shore CL. $1700/ mo for a 2 bedroom house....that's pretty typical in my area.

that's nuts, my buddies don't pay much more than that for a 6 bedroom
__________________
Call me Dom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.



{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}

lbj273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #31246
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack
If you want to see how stupid it can be just look at the rents on the CNJ or Jersey Shore CL. $1700/ mo for a 2 bedroom house....that's pretty typical in my area.

Dude if you go 24 miles East of me (suburbs of DC) it's pretty standard for a two bedroom apartment to run $2000. I don't know how people afford it... Or why; it's a shithole down there.

There are 'ritzy' neighborhoods down that way that are considered 'high end' but look like project buildings to me. It's ludicrous.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #31247
jj1565
Officially Knighted
 
jj1565's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
Hey guys, went guitar shopping the yamaha nx classical guitar i was looking at, played like crap.
so i'm now looking for alternatives..


and Kyle, buying a house right now is not a bad idea..
it's a good idea if you find the right location.
__________________
Jenneh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.


Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
jj1565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #31248
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
All good advice, guys. Thanks for being a sounding board.

I guess I need to decide how to go about seriously looking into this.

I plugged some numbers into a calculator to see how much money I could be loaned very roughly, and it's WAY too much. No wonder people get into trouble buying houses.


Indeed. When we bought the house in Texas, we set ourselves a limit of half of our pre-approval level and then didn't even spend that...
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.
Arby911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #31249
LaidBack
Call me Mike
 
LaidBack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Dan, the reason why it's like that is that it's the shore towns...I mean I know it's NOT a bad price for the area...I might also be a little bitter since that's just out of my range. If I reduce the amount I am putting into my 401k I might be able to swing it. It would just be very tight. And I'd probably have to live without cable tv.
__________________
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #31250
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack
Dan, the reason why it's like that is that it's the shore towns...I mean I know it's NOT a bad price for the area...I might also be a little bitter since that's just out of my range. If I reduce the amount I am putting into my 401k I might be able to swing it. It would just be very tight. And I'd probably have to live without cable tv.

Ya down there it's just because of DC. Bunch of pompous assholes down that way.

Around here it's about $1100 for a one bedroom apartment... But we got our two bedroom, three level townhouse for $1200.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #31251
LaidBack
Call me Mike
 
LaidBack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
That's awesome. That's the kind of deal I am looking for, except all townhouses here are attached to one another and are usually on a slab....sad.
__________________
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #31252
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
 
TNfootballfan62's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
yeah. that really didn't help the whole bubble/world financial system meltdown. people went to the bank and saw what the bank would lend them, and then borrowed it because it meant you could buy a bigger house. The bank doesn't care less if you pay back the loan (especially in a boom market), it just takes the house. And that's before you even consider that there was so much securitisation etc. that the people deciding whether to give you the loan were completely insulated from the risk.

but yeah, i mean you're meant to decide yourself how much you can borrow.

if you buy a new house (at least here) there shouldn't be that many unforseen expenses. But granted it's still more than renting (and you still have rates/property taxes). and obviously you have to furnish a new house which gets expensive pretty darn quickly.

EDIT: of course it depends very much on where you live too. if you're from central london or downtown manhattan you just couldn't buy.


Yeah, I live in East Tennessee. Not exactly Manhattan.

I can probably go just outside of the city and find a decent bit of land for a good price.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
Hey guys, went guitar shopping the yamaha nx classical guitar i was looking at, played like crap.
so i'm now looking for alternatives..


and Kyle, buying a house right now is not a bad idea..
it's a good idea if you find the right location.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Indeed. When we bought the house in Texas, we set ourselves a limit of half of our pre-approval level and then didn't even spend that...


Yeah.

So I guess the thing to do would be to get pre-approved for a loan at some point to have a firm idea of what I'm looking at, then start shopping around and comparing the prices I'm looking at to just renting.
__________________
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootballfan62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #31253
mmolteratx
UG God
 
mmolteratx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Richardson, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
Ya down there it's just because of DC. Bunch of pompous assholes down that way.

Around here it's about $1100 for a one bedroom apartment... But we got our two bedroom, three level townhouse for $1200.


Yea, my one bedroom apartment was $1120/month. Current two bedroom is $1198. Totally worth the extra $78 rent and $6-8 electricity for the guitar room.
__________________
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #31254
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack
That's awesome. That's the kind of deal I am looking for, except all townhouses here are attached to one another and are usually on a slab....sad.

Ya we're attached but with a basement. Luckily my neighbors are never home. I play drums a lot actually. Guitar is never an issue, but I don't play drums when they're home.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #31255
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
 
TNfootballfan62's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
Yea, my one bedroom apartment was $1120/month. Current two bedroom is $1198. Totally worth the extra $78 rent and $6-8 electricity for the guitar room.


That's the thing with apartments here. At any given complex, it's not much more to step up to 2 bedrooms from 1. Which is what makes having a roommate so attractive.
__________________
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootballfan62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #31256
mmolteratx
UG God
 
mmolteratx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Richardson, Texas
Ya, one bedroom apartments are pointless when the price difference is that small. **** having a room mate though. My guitars need their space.

__________________
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #31257
LaidBack
Call me Mike
 
LaidBack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
There is an apartment complex around the corner from my office...might look into that. I just don't want to be "that loud guy"...because I will. But it seems like some of you guys live in attached homes/apartments and it's NOT an issue...just be courteous.
__________________
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #31258
mmolteratx
UG God
 
mmolteratx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Richardson, Texas
Yea, never had a complaint. Well, a lady moved in yesterday and heard me, came down and asked me if I could turn it down a bit during the hours her baby is napping. No problem with that and I can still keep it at a somewhat reasonable level (~100dB) then before it gets loud enough to hear in neighboring apartments.
__________________
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #31259
LaidBack
Call me Mike
 
LaidBack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Oops double post

yea Matt, that's what I figured it's like...Just get some stuff to help dampen the sound too and I should be alright.
__________________
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals

Last edited by LaidBack : 12-07-2012 at 05:55 PM.
LaidBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #31260
gregs1020
Hi mom!
 
gregs1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
so not posting a pic of my rig on this page...

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I may just make you an honorary Aussie for that one greg.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.