Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
OnlyTwin

Bad Strat Trade?

So I found this Strat on Craigslist that is pretty much the description of what I originally wanted in a Strat, and the guy offered to trade for my current Strat. I got my Mexi Strat $500 at GC, and he's selling his for $325. He offered to make that a trade, but I said that I don't think we can because of the $175 difference. Then he tells me something about the resale on Mexi Strats not being good and that I overpayed, and that his is upgraded. Could be possible but I don't wanna get ripped off.

Here's the post:
http://reno.craigslist.org/msg/2999705334.html

And here's my Strat:
http://i46.tinypic.com/2yk04ep.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/23uz9g4.jpg

Any words of advice?
OnlyTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
kaptkegan
UG Senior Member

Play before you buy.

If yours is just a regular ol' MIM strat, you probably overpaid a bit (I got my MIM tele for $200), but you know your instrument better than I do.

Also, his is not an SSS strat, strictly speaking. It's HSS with the hot rails in the bridge. I ran hot rails for years, and enjoyed them fine (though honestly I prefer either a straight single coil, or a real humbucker [I have a Pearly Gates now, and it's incredible]).
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!

Last edited by kaptkegan : 05-07-2012 at 08:41 PM.
kaptkegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
OnlyTwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptkegan
Also, his is not an SSS strat, strictly speaking. It's HSS with the hot rails in the bridge. I ran hot rails for years, and enjoyed them fine (though honestly I prefer either a straight single coil, or a real humbucker [I have a Pearly Gates now, and it's incredible).

That's kinda what made me REALLY wanna trade, the bridge humbucker it has in it. So those Hot Rails wouldn't be like a normal humbucker in a Strat? Was sort of looking forward to being able to play a bit heavier sounds. :P
Old 05-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
DrewMeyer

The guy is right, MIM resale is pretty low, so $325 would be a fair price for that guitar. I would never pay $500 for a MIM strat (no offense, though).
DrewMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
kaptkegan
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTwin
That's kinda what made me REALLY wanna trade, the bridge humbucker it has in it. So those Hot Rails wouldn't be like a normal humbucker in a Strat? Was sort of looking forward to being able to play a bit heavier sounds. :P

It's crunchier than a single coil, but doesn't have (and I'm going to descend into onomatopoeia here, forgive me) the snarl or the rip of a true humbucker in my opinion. I found them to be a little flat sounding. Not bad at all, and probably an improvement over what you've got, but I'd swap it out for a Pearly Gates any day.

I'm not trying to turn you off here, I think this is a good trade. Just a word of caution that it's not gonna sound like you're playing a Gibson all of a sudden.

I think the Hot Rails is one of the better single slot humbuckers out there, too. So, there's that.
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Last edited by kaptkegan : 05-07-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
OnlyTwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptkegan
It's crunchier than a single coil, but doesn't have (and I'm going to descend into onomatopoeia here, forgive me) the snarl or the rip of a true humbucker in my opinion. I found them to be a little flat sounding. Not bad at all, and probably an improvement over what you've got, but I'd swap it out for a Pearly Gates any day.

I'm not trying to turn you off here, I think this is a good trade. Just a word of caution that it's not gonna sound like you're playing a Gibson all of a sudden.

I think I would be fine as long as it could qualify as a humbucker.

And how would swapping it out for a better humbucker later on be? Would the slanted direction affect it?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
kaptkegan
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTwin
I think I would be fine as long as it could qualify as a humbucker.

And how would swapping it out for a better humbucker later on be? Would the slanted direction affect it?

I'm assuming that like most strats, the body is cut to be able to take a humbucker in the bridge. You'd need a new pickguard, and a Pearly Gates is about $80-$90 (though there is infinity humbucker selection). I'd also recommend getting a pro to put it in.

If you want you can go crazy. I got new pots and a sick coil tap when I put my PG in, where the coil tap splits the humbucker and turns it on permanently so I can play all three singles, or bridge and neck singles. I love it.

If you're thinking that far ahead, just be sure the body and neck on the guitar are good enough to be worth modding. If not, this is still an admirable guitar.
язык
العربية

Old 05-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Robfreitag

you paid $500 for the guitar, but you wont be able to sell it for that. you'll always pay more at a store, and if you were going to sell it you'd be looking at something similar to his price.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

And his comes with a hard case!

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
OnlyTwin

Not sure if he said if he would include it or not, but it would be awesome.

But back to the Hot Rails, how does it sound with more distorted tones?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
Elderer
Banned

Cant speak on matter of Hot Rails,but my experience with single coil sized buckers have only been positive so far-a lot of artists use them. Go on look out for them,both Duncan and DiMarzio make top quality coil buckers. Wiring is almost as important as p/u itself-wire tone pot directly to it and a lot of tone varieties. My Strat has 3 buckers(Billy Corgan prewired) but the way how its wired makes it one of the most versatile guitars Ive ever played.

Back to topic:you overpaid a little. Ask the guy if case comes and close up of frets/fretboard.
Elderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #12
timmymaines

if its the pick-up your after why not just change the one you got..other then that and the fret board im not seeing much of a differince in the two
timmymaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #13
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

Headstock:

MADE IN (blank)

Is it just me, or is that suspicious?
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecaster7
Headstock:

MADE IN (blank)

Is it just me, or is that suspicious?

I came here to post this. Looks like a very dedicated fake for that to be an honest mistake, though. Dunno.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
poppameth
Lord of Freaky Dingos

Something just isn't correct about that neck. The missing info on the headstock and the fact that it has a floyd nut but not a floyd bridge worries me. The serial lists it as a Mexican strat but doesn't tell much else.

Edit: I will note that after comparing it to other photos on 2004 mexistrats that the Made In part of the logo is in the correct position, just missing Mexico after it.
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall 6100LM Head with Slash Signature 4x12 half stack.
http://gideond.wordpress.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

Last edited by poppameth : 05-08-2012 at 10:27 AM.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
monwobobbo

the locking nut is kinda weird and makes me wonder. i'd pass and just get a new pickup. when you think about it why would this guy want to trade for what is essentially the same thing?
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
kaneorsomething
Guitar User

The fact he's eager to trade for another strat coupled with the blank "made in" would make me suspicious, personally.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
ToXyN
I am mine

Glad to see others already state the MADE in "blank"

Also.. who would trade an American or MIJ strat for a mexi.. or for less then 400 with a custom pickup and hardshell case?

I say stay away.
ToXyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #19
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty

i love my hot rails. dave murray uses them too, which makes them more awesome
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
IronMaiden76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
Glenn Guitar

To be honest, why don't you stick a hot rails or a humbucker in your own strat?

I'm a bit fishy about that strat, for the same reasons as the others have said above. No reason you couldn't mod your own guitar, for all you know that guitar might have a bit of wear around some parts not evident. It could be beat up and a bit rusty.
Generic Boss DD-3
Blackstar Ht-1
and an old Beaten up dunlop Mr.Crybaby.

http://www.facebook.com/CarelessRumour
Glenn Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: