Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
LostLegion
resurrected

Dean Acoustic Guitars?

So I'm thinking of buying a Dean Exhibition Thin Body Aphex electro-acoustic guitar. And I'm just wondering is this guitar any good, or how good are Dean acoustics in general?

LostLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i've compared dean in stores to other guitars in their price range, and they have a more muffled tone, less volume and just don't sound as good to me. they seem to focus on looks rather than tone, and i prefer a good sounding guitar.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
stepchildusmc

i would agree with patti. out of curiosity, i tried a couple( and a few Lunas) in a music store last friday. those things were all show and no go. my feelings exactly were that I've flushed better crap than that. they were really pretty though, i'll give them that.
they make great electrics, too bad they don't do the same with their acoustics.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

don't hold back - tell us how you REALLY feel about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
my feelings exactly were that I've flushed better crap than that. they were really pretty though, i'll give them that.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
kimberlydawn
Princess Pineapple

If you're looking into buying a thin body guitar, you should probably look into one that's a solid top electro-acoustic, because thin body's aren't usually very hollow sounding. The thinness makes the sound sort of diminish and not really go anywhere as opposed to a thicker more hollow acoustic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
So 'crunk and 'gandhi are already pussy-whipped, impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgery
you just think they're being mean to you because you have fragile girl feelings
kimberlydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
don't hold back - tell us how you REALLY feel about them
You just wait a minute here! I thought that giving out the unvarnished truth in a rude, condescending, but articulate manner, was my job......

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLegion
So I'm thinking of buying a Dean Exhibition Thin Body Aphex electro-acoustic guitar. And I'm just wondering is this guitar any good, or how good are Dean acoustics in general?
The "Aphex Aural Exciter System", is an ancient studio processor that was used to good effect on a few Linda Ronstadt albums. (I'm sure others also). These were vinyl analog records. So, it's been around for quite a while.

With that said, you might at least audition this guitar. While Patti & Step are accurate in their assessment of the Dean's acoustic performance, it really isn't an "acoustic electric guitar", it's an "electric acoustic".

So, forget about playing love songs to your GF unplugged. You need to audition the guitar's electronics separately through the equipment you'll be playing on.

This guitar, and others like it, are one trick ponies. They have identifiable tonal qualities, which you're either able to work into your act or not. The "muffled sound" everybody points out surely exists, may, or may not be an issue, when the guitar is plugged into a PA system.

My personal feeling is that this guitar, and Dean's "Exotica" series, (as well as others of this general design, IE "Ibanez EW"), are "trash with flash", perhaps to be used by a mostly electric band, for the acoustic break.

In other words, you "crack it out", (so to speak), for the "ladies choice ballad", and the entire audience gasps in unison......"Ooooo, SHINY"!

These are just lousy acoustic only guitars, not trying to make waves here.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 05-09-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
stepchildusmc

i was only half there cranky. i prefer un-polished and inarticulate.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Reizei

idk what everyobne is talking about, i was anti dean for awhile but i went into a local store and was playing on a exhibiton for about an hour and some other electrics for another hour and i was proven wrong, i thought they were all show guitars too but i was wrong, i loved the feel and the sound from the exhibiton i put 80$ for layaway so i can pick it up in november, it was bright but warm, you have to go play a guitar before you buy it to really know it, dont just take our opinion for it
but i played it and loved it
its a bit slimmer profile than most slim body acoustics
Reizei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
dannyalcatraz

I own a Dean Special Select EVO and a Time Capsule Cadillac. I love them both.

But I would not buy one of their acoustics- there are too many decent sounding guitars out there in the same price range or just a touch more. Consider Yamahas, Seagulls, and Ovations, for instance.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 09-22-2012 at 04:08 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
stepchildusmc

i'm not a big fan of liver and onions but some people love the taste of it.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
Captaincranky

Quote:
i'm not a big fan of liver and onions but some people love the taste of it.
Some people like haggus, while others prefer foods like eel pie or blood pudding. I suspect having foods like these forced upon us, may have been one of the root causes of the American revolution.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
Reizei

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
I own a Dean Special Select EVO and a Time Capsule Cadillac. I love them both.

But I would not buy one of their acoustics- there are too many decent sounding guitars out there in the same price range or just a touch more. Consider Yamahas, Seagulls, and Ovations, for instance.

if anything id suggest the yamaha apx 500, ive had it for like 4 years and its an amazing piece of work for 380$
Reizei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #13
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reizei
if anything id suggest the yamaha apx 500, ive had it for like 4 years and its an amazing piece of work for 380$
You do realize this is a necro-bump that we've all played into, don't you?

No a problem, but I suspect any suggestions will be falling on long gone, deaf ears....
Old 09-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
stepchildusmc

i picked up on it but i needed to get out my feelings for liver and onions... it had been eating at me for months that patti didnt know that about me.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #15
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

letting the truth about liver and onions out will no doubt free you up and make you a better player ;-)

but it won't make dean guitars sound any better to me

Quote:
i picked up on it but i needed to get out my feelings for liver and onions... it had been eating at me for months that patti didnt know that about me.

Rate This Thread: