Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
autumnsweater2

Extension cab or speaker swap for Super Champ XD

What would be the best way of going about making the Super Champ XD more giggable? I've debated buying a Ragin Cajun or other replacement speaker, or even considered rehousing the SCXD in a 12" enclosure.

While I've heard great things about the Ragin Cajun, I've also heard that it's mid heavy and loses some of the Champ's original sparkle. Any other speakers that will increase headroom and volume while retaining the original sound? Or any good extension cab recommendations? Thanks.

Last edited by autumnsweater2 : 05-09-2012 at 12:02 AM.
autumnsweater2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

free bump

I don't have any experience with the Ragin Cajun but I have a fair amount of experience with the Super Champ. Eminence makes good speakers so that is a good start. Only have experience with the Man O War and Lucky 16. A Texas Heat might work well. Also look into a Weber speaker - I hear they work well with Fender amps. Does that amp have a 12" speaker? You won't be able to get a speaker to increase your volume per say. If you want higher headroom than you will want a speaker that has a much higher wattage rating than the amp.

If you plug in an extension cab do you lose the internal speaker? That would be something to find out. I'd start by sticking the amp or the ext cab up on a stand or table to get more projection.

Maybe fly135 will see this - I bet he'll have some ideas.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

The guys over at the TDPRI talk about this endlessly. Here's a link to the SCXD club thread...

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-owne...mp-xd-club.html

I've always kept the stock speaker in mine. If I want to get it cranking I hook it into my 2x12 cab. The SCXD has a 10" speaker and a small cab, so I don't consider it worthwhile to me to swap speakers. But that's just me.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i haven't tried the ragin cajun but the copperhead is a more vintage, sparkly fendery type of speaker

pretty vintage in tonality, though- not sure if it'd be a good idea for a modeller or not. you'd need to ask eminence.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: