Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
soilent

What just happened to my amp?

So, I have an Axe Fx that I run through the effects return of my 6505+ (the 1x12 combo that I turned into a head) using the the 6505+ as a power amp. Now, it's been a few months since I've jammed loudly on that head, otherwise I've just been direct recording with the Axe Fx. Anyway, I'm jamming along at practice volume (pretty loud) and all of a sudden the volume drops to like 1/4 out of no where. I turned the amp off and on, check my connections etc. The volume is still super low and I can't do anything about it. So I try to just plug straight into the front of the 6505+ and now I can get normal volume.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Did I blow a preamp tube or something? If I did, how will I know? The amp is a couple years old and still has the original tubes in it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
soilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

well running into the fx loop im pretty sure bypasses the preamp tubes so running infront of the amp and getting normal volume tells me its not your preamp tubes...maybe something related to the FX Return or the AXe...I'm sure someone else can offer better advice though.
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Without looking at the schematic I would look at your effects loop tube. I can't remember which one it is for a +.

As the other user mentioned it may be a problem with your Axe unit.

You could run a jumper between the send and return and see if the volume drops. If it does look at your tube.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
soilent

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT

You could run a jumper between the send and return and see if the volume drops. If it does look at your tube.

That was a good idea so I tried it. If I run a cable from the send to the return, all is normal, but if I just have the cable plugged into the return I get the volume drop again. Any ideas from there? I'll be checking my effects loop tube soon too.

Last edited by soilent : 06-04-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
icronic

Check the output levels on the Axe. I think it's under the utility tab. Give your guitar a good hard smack and see how high the output levels go. If it's below half then you've probably got a problem with the patches you're using or you might need to have a look at your global settings.

If the axe is putting out decent output then I'd say your problem is either the tube that powers your effects loop or your power tubes.
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilent
That was a good idea so I tried it. If I run a cable from the send to the return, all is normal, but if I just have the cable plugged into the return I get the volume drop again. Any ideas from there? I'll be checking my effects loop tube soon too.

It doesn't sound like your loop.

Follow Icronics advice. Sounds like its in your Axe unit.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
soilent

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
It doesn't sound like your loop.

Follow Icronics advice. Sounds like its in your Axe unit.

But it has to be something with my effects return input though, right? All the settings on my Axe are fine. I was nowhere near it when the volume dropped the first time, so it couldn't be that I changed something by accident. I'm not sure if my previous post was clear enough, but if I just plug a cable into the effects return, the volume drops (without that cable being plugged into the Axe or anything else), but if I have that cable in both send and return (completing the loop), the volume is fine. It can't be because of my Axe Fx because it still does it even when the Axe Fx isn't plugged in to anything. This is really confusing me.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
soilent

Quote:
Originally Posted by icronic

If the axe is putting out decent output then I'd say your problem is either the tube that powers your effects loop or your power tubes.

The output from my Axe is fine as far as I know. I still get the problem even when the Axe isn't plugged into anything. It's weird because I can plug into the front of the amp like normal and that's all fine. No problems. It's only when I have a cable plugged into the effects return that the volume drops, even if that cable isn't plugged into anything else. I'm not sure how to go about this. I've been using this method of Axe Fx output to effects return for probably about 2 years and had no problems until a few days ago.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #9
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

what happens if you plug your Axe into the Return as normal and then stick a 1/4" headphone adapter plug (dummy jack) into the Send?

Otherwise, I'd say the jack in question needs to be touched up/replaced.

Rate This Thread: