User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Low Man's Lyric
©

Rickenbacker copies

What are the best Rickenbacker copies/"rip-offs"? Also, discuss Rickenbacker bass copies etc.

I'm really hooked on the shape and look of the Rickenbacker basses and some of my favorite bassits have played them, but it wouldn't feel quite right paying over 2000 € for a bass. And I've heard their quality control isn't the best either. So I've decided to get the next best thing.
As long as they sound and play good there shouldn't be too much of a difference.
Low Man's Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Tokai Rockinbetters are solid basses and are probably the the most common.

Others to look for are Anniversary, Ibanez and another one I've forgotten (it began with C?).

Retrovibe and Schecter both do similar looking basses but they won't sound anything like a real Rick.
Spaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
amimbari
Charvel/Jackson FREAK

here's a guy from talkbass who bought a family of chinese ric copies and has nothing but great reviews and mp3 clips to hear them with.

amimbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
shmbluh12

There's also Career. I haven't played them so I can't say they are any good.
The price for them is 450 euro I believe.
shmbluh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
askrere

How many threads can you make about ricks and never buy one? Also don't make 2 threads that could easily be combined as one.
askrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Low Man's Lyric
©

Quote:
Originally Posted by amimbari
here's a guy from talkbass who bought a family of chinese ric copies and has nothing but great reviews and mp3 clips to hear them with.

Would you by any chance have the link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by askrere
How many threads can you make about ricks and never buy one?

I guess you could say I'm becoming obsessed with them.

Yup, that would be fair to say.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
amimbari
Charvel/Jackson FREAK

i can't remember which one of the threads I took his pic from just search for "chinese ric", you'll find it and this nice seafoam green unit.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
askrere

those old copies or made now?
askrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
consecutive e
draws 'til death.

Pretty sure they're those über-dodgy trade-tang, etc ones.
Japanese vintage copies are probably going to be your best bet. Greco, Fernandes, Burny may have done one and the OLD Tokai copies. The new Tokais Ric copies really aren't that good imo.
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
consecutive e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #10
Low Man's Lyric
©

Quote:
Originally Posted by consecutive e
Japanese vintage copies are probably going to be your best bet. Greco, Fernandes, Burny may have done one and the OLD Tokai copies. The new Tokais Ric copies really aren't that good imo.

I've read somewhere that the Greco ones are the best Rickenbacker copies. How true is that?
Old 05-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #11
amimbari
Charvel/Jackson FREAK

Quote:
thay are and he was "defending" HIS seller as one out of what 37,000 ripoffs when I bashed TradeTang to death over there. At that point he said he would only PM the seller to anyone who wanted to buy one, and yes they are all new.

DHGate+TradeTang is the biggest ripoff in the whole world, but that guy seems to have found someone who is not.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
consecutive e
draws 'til death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Man's Lyric
I've read somewhere that the Greco ones are the best Rickenbacker copies. How true is that?

About as true as you want it to be I guess. They do have a good reputation but it's down to the user in the end. The Grecos did have problems with the bridge lifting but so did most of the others, including real Rics. I can't imagine the instruments now being 30+ years old would help their condition. You've just got to find a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amimbari
thay are and he was "defending" HIS seller as one out of what 37,000 ripoffs when I bashed TradeTang to death over there. At that point he said he would only PM the seller to anyone who wanted to buy one, and yes they are all new.

DHGate+TradeTang is the biggest ripoff in the whole world, but that guy seems to have found someone who is not.

So he says anyway. Talkbass is wierd, I don't like it over there. Too many over-opinionated crazies.
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Old 05-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
Low Man's Lyric
©

Quote:
About as true as you want it to be I guess. They do have a good reputation but it's down to the user in the end. The Grecos did have problems with the bridge lifting but so did most of the others, including real Rics. I can't imagine the instruments now being 30+ years old would help their condition. You've just got to find a good one.

I know a guitarist who has a really decent Rickenbacker copy. I've played it before through his Behringer amplifier, and it plays and sounds really good. I've gotten (what I believe to be) a pretty close Cliff Burton bass tone and feel. But he doesn't sell it because they need it to tape stuff etc.
Feels bad, man.

Would probably be better off buying a newer copy anyway.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
Low Man's Lyric
©

Career RIK-400 - Rickenbacker copy

^Ignore the plate on the headstock which says Rickenbacker, I doubt it's a real Ric if you look at the rest of the bass.

Does this look like a good Rickenbacker bass copy? It's from a brand called Carrier, and I could get it online for 499 € (666.627 USD) from a German site. There is a 30 day return gaurantee, so I could send it back in case I wouldn't like it if I bought it. Is it worth it? I mean, for that price I could expect a decent bass even if it weren't a Ric copy.

Personally, I think it looks like one of the better copies I've seen. Thoughts?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #15
rick4001s

Angry

Quote:

So he says anyway. Talkbass is wierd, I don't like it over there. Too many over-opinionated crazies.

Hello. I am one of the over-opinionated crazies you speak "so nicely" about. Those are my basses in the photos posted by that "person". I own 6 Chinese ricks and another 10 guitars I bought from Trade Tang. The link to the site (and an insight into the type of person amimbari is), is in the link below. No wonder he had conveniently forgoten the location of the link to my photos and our comments.Email me if you have any genuine questions about guitars from China and read about my experiences. Respectfully yours.

talkbass.com/forum/f8/im-wondering-if-anyone-has-experience-852547/
rick4001s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #16
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick4001s
Hello. I am one of the over-opinionated crazies you speak "so nicely" about. Those are my basses in the photos posted by that "person". I own 6 Chinese ricks and another 10 guitars I bought from Trade Tang. The link to the site (and an insight into the type of person amimbari is), is in the link below. No wonder he had conveniently forgoten the location of the link to my photos and our comments.Email me if you have any genuine questions about guitars from China and read about my experiences. Respectfully yours.

So you registered here to post in a thread that hasn't been touched for nearly a year, in response to something that was posted one and a half years ago, in an attempt to dig up some dispute you had nearly two years ago on an entirely different board? Sorry mate, you're not doing much to aid your cause regarding crazies (which, by the way, is an opinion of talkbass you'll find on pretty much any other bass-related forum on the internet, there's a reason for it). All I saw in that thread was somebody encouraging others to think carefully before putting their money on the line, only to be shot down and repeatedly misconstrued by one over-sensitive and over-defensive individual who happened to get lucky.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #17
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
So you registered here to post in a thread that hasn't been touched for nearly a year, in response to something that was posted one and a half years ago, in an attempt to dig up some dispute you had nearly two years ago on an entirely different board? Sorry mate, you're not doing much to aid your cause regarding crazies (which, by the way, is an opinion of talkbass you'll find on pretty much any other bass-related forum on the internet, there's a reason for it). All I saw in that thread was somebody encouraging others to think carefully before putting their money on the line, only to be shot down and repeatedly misconstrued by one over-sensitive and over-defensive individual who happened to get lucky.

Plus, it may not even be the same amimbari- there hasn't been a single Charvel or Jackson (I forget which) picture posted in either thread

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #18
anarkee
oh the horror!

Quote:

Dear reader--this is a necropost and coming on just to bitch about a user from another forum. Let's just state this is not the best way to start out. Any more like this, and yes, you will be warned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #19
rick4001s

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkee
Dear reader--this is a necropost and coming on just to bitch about a user from another forum. Let's just state this is not the best way to start out. Any more like this, and yes, you will be warned.

Anarkee
You have made a valid point. I have definitely started off on the wrong foot in this forum. I was only trying to defend myself against some negative implications made towards me and my credibility. I only just found this thread, and I'm sorry for rehashing old news.
rick4001s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #20
consecutive e
draws 'til death.

Quote:

Hey man. Since making that post I managed to get myself a job as a Guitar Tech, I've worked on hundreds of different guitars and basses, including many of the Chinese instruments you love so much. From what I've seen the amount of time and money you have to put into them to make them into a solid, reliable gigging instrument you're not THAT far short of the real thing. Electronics and hardware need to be replaced and they need to have the frets glued down and dressed.
Any decent CNC machine can produce a uniform product but that also doesn't mean the materials have to be perfect so you see a lot of 4-6 piece bodies, rift-sawn necks and fretboards and etc. The finish? Anyone can be trained to spray a decent poly finish.

That's just my opinion, you obviously enjoy your instruments so who am I to tell you that you shouldn't?
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: