Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #41
gerrywm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Glorified daisy chain. Like John mentioned, the fuel tank series are the cheapest and best power supply's for people on a budget. If you have a little more to dish out, grab a cioks dc10.

I currently use a Boss daisy chain off of my tuner, what improvment would a fuel tank make to my set up. You have shaken my blissfull ignorance!!
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
gerrywm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #42
WtrPlyr
♪♫♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by &baconstrips
Quick questions:
I'm thinking of ordering $240 worth of stuff from PGS. They currently have a sale, $30 off any purchase of $200+, which imo is kinda weak. Sale ends tonight, should I go for it or wait for a better sale? How often do they have sales?

They often have like 10% off, but $30 off is better. So I'd go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttypom
so basically I've been asked to join a band, starting off playing songs from Paramore, Tonight Alive and VersaEmerge etc. First song I've been asked to play is 'Brick By Boring Brick' by Paramore. I'm not technical at all when it comes to all the accessories. Just wondering what people think are the best effect pedals to use to generate sounds like these bands. Also I can't afford a great deal, maybe a couple of hundred max
Thanks

There are no specific effects used in that song as far as I can hear. If you have a decent amp you should be able to get close to the sound. What amp do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
Pedals are srs shit yo.
WtrPlyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #43
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrywm
I currently use a Boss daisy chain off of my tuner, what improvment would a fuel tank make to my set up. You have shaken my blissfull ignorance!!

It just makes sure that each pedal is getting the proper and a regulated amount of power without relying on a single power source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #44
gerrywm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
It just makes sure that each pedal is getting the proper and a regulated amount of power without relying on a single power source.

Oh righty, ya the adaptor for the Holy Grail broke on me so everything is running off the daisy chain at the moment. Not an ideal set up but will have to keep me going for another while
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
gerrywm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #45
championguitar
Federal Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrywm
Oh righty, ya the adaptor for the Holy Grail broke on me so everything is running off the daisy chain at the moment. Not an ideal set up but will have to keep me going for another while

IIRc the fuel tank is isolated so that reduces hum from using a daisy chain

Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
championguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #46
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^iirc only some of the fuel tank models are isolated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #47
Vendetta V
The Creep

what's the best way to reduce the hum from a daisy chain? keep it short? special type of cable? I think I'm having an issue with that and I'm running a 1spot. upgrading my power supply at this moment is no option for an unknown, possible long period of time so I'd want to battle the hum as much as I can with my setup

I'm The Creep!

I'm a mixing engineer, hit me up

Please support my music and purchase my NEW ALBUM
My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #48
&baconstrips

Quote:
Originally Posted by WtrPlyr
They often have like 10% off, but $30 off is better. So I'd go for it.

Thanks, a day too late though haha. I guess I'll wait. How about prymaxe vintage? It seems like they have free shipping to canada (according to the shipping calculator stuff), how often do they have sales? there's one on right now (same deal as pgs), but they're out of stock of some stuff.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #49
bAngiel01

I'm about to build my first DIY pedal, and I hit a wall when I started sourcing parts. What I'm building is essentially a Timmy clone. I have my materials list handy if I need to post it. I guess my question is this: For an overdrive pedal what type of parts should I look for? What are some good brands? What materials work best for a project like this?
bAngiel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #50
Dan_5893
Interdit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAngiel01
I'm about to build my first DIY pedal, and I hit a wall when I started sourcing parts. What I'm building is essentially a Timmy clone. I have my materials list handy if I need to post it. I guess my question is this: For an overdrive pedal what type of parts should I look for? What are some good brands? What materials work best for a project like this?

The Timmy has an IC in it so grab a few different types and see which one you like the sound of best. Same applies for the diodes. Grab a few different types and some sockets (diode sockets and IC sockets) and then you can mix and match different IC's and Diodes until you like the sound.

I'm actually a Brummie.
Dan_5893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #51
bAngiel01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_5893
The Timmy has an IC in it so grab a few different types and see which one you like the sound of best. Same applies for the diodes. Grab a few different types and some sockets (diode sockets and IC sockets) and then you can mix and match different IC's and Diodes until you like the sound.

For an IC, I'm picking up a JRC4559, and I'm getting 1N4148s for my diodes. I'm thinking carbon film resistors (which brand, I don't know). And I'm pretty lost on caps (materials, brands, etc). I know what I need (values, electrolytes, etc), but not the specifics. Thanks for the tip, though. I'll definitely try mixing and matching some of the components.
bAngiel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #52
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

metal film resistors are better. lower noise, better tolerance.

Caps you can just get poly film or metal film, it'll be fine.
forsaknazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #53
schecter ftw
UG Freak

What kind of cables do you guys recommend for connecting pedals? Like really nice short ones.

Fender American Telecaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie Mark V combo
schecter ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #54
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by schecter ftw
What kind of cables do you guys recommend for connecting pedals? Like really nice short ones.

I'm not a native, but DiMarzio Jumper Cables are good.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #55
schecter ftw
UG Freak

^That's what I usually use but I feel that they're too long. Maybe I'm just weird.

Fender American Telecaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie Mark V combo
schecter ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #56
championguitar
Federal Agent

i like hosa pancake cables for my board. alot of people solder their own patch cables but i don't currently have a soldering iron and my board is currently changing alot so those are the next best thing IMO

Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
championguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #57
jamie vk

Im a complete newbee to this as I have been using a multi effects bored but now want to change to stomp boxes

How does a bored work exactly? Like are there pros and cons?

And also how does the power supply work? As different pedals use different power supplys how would this work on a board?

And as the board goes between guitar and amp does this affect the signal from guitar to amp or is the board a ‘true bypass’??
jamie vk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #58
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Well the board doesn't really do much. You put pedals on it, that's it really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #59
Dan_5893
Interdit

The board is what you put your pedals on for the most part. There will be no signal passing through it. Some guys here just use bits of wooden shelving. It's purely to keep all your pedals together in one place. The main 'pro' is that it's easy to keep all your pedals neatly in order, and always connected.

When you fill the board up with individual stomp boxes, you will connect them together with short cables called patch cables. When the effects are off, the signal from your guitar will carry through to the amp.

"True Bypass" means that when your stomp boxes are off, there is no circuitry in the way of the signal from the guitar. If you were to pull all the power supplies and batteries out of these pedals, signal would still pass through them, when they are off, they are essentially part of the cable.

When Pedals are not 'True Bypass' they have active circuitry in them, such as a buffer, that your signal passes through while the pedal is off. This is not always a bad thing. A good buffer can be very useful. Cheap pedals will usually have bad buffers though, which will suck your tone.

As for power supply - most pedals will run off 9v DC. You can buy power bricks, which are like one big power supply you can hook all your pedals to, or daisy chain cables, which attach to one of your 9V power supplies and then connect to each of your pedals, providing 9V to each one. There are pros and cons to each - I use a daisy chain for cost effectiveness, and I don't have room on my board for a power supply brick.

I'm actually a Brummie.
Dan_5893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #60
jamie vk

from a quick bowse it seems boss and behringer do some boards which house a power supply as well, is this the case or am i misinterpreting it?
jamie vk is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: