Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #81
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplin
Hey guys, I'm in the process of building a pedal board setup. By building I mean buying all the required tools (pedals, power source, pedal board) HOWEVER, I'm curious if there's a certain method to setting up the train, or if it is just preference or even just a feel out thing to make it perfect for the player ?

If it doesn't explode or sound bad, you're fine. It's all down to experimentation.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #82
WtrPlyr
♪♫♪

There are a couple of thought on placement of pedals. Most people set it up like this:

Wah or EQ -> overdrive/distortion/fuzz -> modulation pedals (chorus, flanger etc) -> delay -> amp.

But like said, try out different orders/combinations, use your ears (listen to it) and your brain (think about it; do you want to distort a flanged sound, or flange your distorted sound).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
Pedals are srs shit yo.
WtrPlyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:17 AM   #83
NickZimmer

Hey guys. I'm really new to this, so sorry if I sound like an idiot here.

I've been playing guitar for just over a year and a half, and I've been getting really into it. I purchased several pedals a while back, and I'm getting sick of their batteries dying. I've also been wanting to start a band or something, and thus I want a power supplier so I don't have to buy new batteries all the time. Some of my pedals (my Boss pedal for instance) claim to require their own brand of adaptor - do I need to do this? I'm looking for a power supplier that will work for all of my pedals, and is hopefully reasonably priced (let's say under $200) with room for a reasonable amount of pedals. I currently have:
-Boss DS-1 distortion pedal (I basically only use it for Nirvana-type stuff but eh)
-Ibanez TS9dx turbo tubescreamer
-EH Big Muff Pi w/ tone wicker
-EH Small Clone chorus pedal

I also intend to buy at some point:
-Dunlop Cry Baby 535Q
-Digitech Whammy (I'd like a bit of a White Stripes sound)
-possibly a noise gate of some kind if I need one

I play a Squier Jagmaster (yes squier i know, but i actually really like it) and run it through a Peavey Valveking 112, which I'm actually thinking of selling and replacing. I'm not really a fan of the tone of its natural distortion - I prefer my pedals. Feel free to tell me if I'm being an idiot - I just want to use my pedals instead for alternative, blues rock, funk, and other stuff.

But yeah - this is probably an ignorant question, but is there a power supplier that will work for all of these pedals? All the ones that I own are nine-volt, if it helps. I don't have a job at the moment, and I'm still in high school, so cheaper would be better, but I'm willing to spend money (even if I have to wait a little while into the future) if it's really worth it.

One last question - is it normal for all of my sound to occasionally completely shut off when the wires connecting my daisychain of pedals wiggle a bit? I think my chorus pedal is to blame, but I'm not sure if it's broken, or if it's all of them, or if this is normal, or what.
NickZimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:49 AM   #84
greeny23
Mechromancer

okay so.

the reason brands say they need the same brand power supply is to sell more of their own stuff. all the pedals you have will be fine on the same supply.

you should be okay with a one-spot power supply and daisy chaining all the pedals on that. its the cheapest option and seeing as you are new to pedals its possibly the best. once you build a proper pedal board and such you should invest in a power brick of some sort, but i dont think its hugely vital now.

all the pedals should be fine on a 1-spot minus the old whammys. if you buy the new one i believe it runs off 9vdc.

hopefully that covers it.

Cheap Stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock05
would a pedalboard make my rc20xl loop station sound better? the playback on this thing sucks with batteries and the power supply.
greeny23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #85
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

All of that should work on a One Spot as Tim said. But, about the Whammy, run any generation Whammy you get off of a different power supply away from the One Spot. When I add my DT into the One Spot with my other pedals it gets noisy, but once it gets plugged into it's own separate adapter, it's noiseless. So invest in a One Spot and a Boss PSA adapter and you'll be fine and way under budget, of course, if you get a Whammy in the first place.

Last edited by bassmastamitch : 07-30-2012 at 12:29 PM.
bassmastamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #86
richardlpalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZimmer
One last question - is it normal for all of my sound to occasionally completely shut off when the wires connecting my daisychain of pedals wiggle a bit? I think my chorus pedal is to blame, but I'm not sure if it's broken, or if it's all of them, or if this is normal, or what.

No, this isn't normal.

There's really only a couple of culprits. It's either the patch cable(s) or connector(s) of your pedal(s). Try each pedal, one at a time, jiggling the connection. If it happens on multiple pedals it's probably the cable -- try a different cable. If it ends up being just one pedal it'll most likely just be the input or the output. Figure out which it is -- that'll be what you want to repair.

But yeah, you might find it's the cable from your guitar that plugs into your pedal chain. That would make everything just sort of "cut out" for a moment too...

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
richardlpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #87
greeny23
Mechromancer

nailed it ^
troubleshoot like that and you should work it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmastamitch
All of that should work on a One Spot as Tim said. But, about the Whammy, run any generation Whammy you get off of a different power supply away from the One Spot. When I add my DT into the One Spot with my other pedals it gets noisy, but once it gets plugged into it's own separate adapter, it's noiseless. So invest in a One Spot and a Boss PSA adapter and you'll be fine and way under budget, of course, if you get a Whammy in the first place.

rumour has it the new whammy 5 fixes this problem. cant vouch for it personally though.

Cheap Stuff!

Quote:
would a pedalboard make my rc20xl loop station sound better? the playback on this thing sucks with batteries and the power supply.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #88
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

*sigh* I might just get the Whammy V then
Old 07-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #89
richardlpalmer

Oh, and I have a 535Q I'd be willing to part with.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Old 07-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #90
greeny23
Mechromancer

The whammy 5 will make all previous ones obsolete.

Cheap Stuff!

Quote:
Old 07-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #91
richardlpalmer

Well, you say that...

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Old 07-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #92
greeny23
Mechromancer

It's true. Has TB, better tracking, 9vdc power. Everything people wish the 4 was.

Cheap Stuff!

Quote:
Old 07-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #93
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny23
It's true. Has TB, better tracking, 9vdc power. Everything people wish the 4 was.

I can vouch for this. I've used my V with the One Spot with no problems.
RealGuitarHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #94
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
Has TB, better tracking, 9vdc power.

The DT has all of that too. The only thing the V has is switchable between classic and polyphonic, where the DT is only polyphonic, and the V has no drop tune section.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #95
theacousticpunk
Longtime GG&A Lurker

Have any of you had any experience with the Ibanez Jemini? What's your impression on it as a standalone distortion/OD pedal, not as a Vai-tone pedal? I'm trying to find one for $100-120 shipped. Thanks!
Pepco Model 211
Lots of dirt pedals
theacousticpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #96
falcon1439
GAS again Jenkins?

Straight from the other pedalboard thread, my mistake for putting it in the wrong thread

Hey guys I'm looking for an angry,
aggressive fuzz
My budget is around 60 pounds
(around US $100) and I live in the uk.
I'm not afraid to go used, and it has
to be true bypass. Thanks in advance
guys
Old 08-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #97
greeny23
Mechromancer

^^ never used one. never heard much good though..

^ i've made a few Devi Ever Hyperions, great standard fuzz with a heap of balls for that price. Or something Shin-Ei based if you want velcro.

Cheap Stuff!

Quote:
Old 08-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #98
falcon1439
GAS again Jenkins?

Quote:
^^ never used one. never heard much good though..

^ i've made a few Devi Ever Hyperions, great standard fuzz with a heap of balls for that price. Or something Shin-Ei based if you want velcro.

By velcro what do you mean?
Also, shipping to the UK plus fuzz for 100 dollars? If so, more stuff may be ordered from you
Old 08-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #99
greeny23
Mechromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon1439
By velcro what do you mean?
Also, shipping to the UK plus fuzz for 100 dollars? If so, more stuff may be ordered from you

im in Paris at the moment but i'll be back in a week. potentially could do it for $100AUD shipped though yeah.

by velcro i mean like the sound of velcro being ripped. youtube clips of the Shin Ei Companion FY-2.

Cheap Stuff!

Quote:
Old 08-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #100
falcon1439
GAS again Jenkins?

Quote:
im in Paris at the moment but i'll be back in a week. potentially could do it for $100AUD shipped though yeah.

by velcro i mean like the sound of velcro being ripped. youtube clips of the Shin Ei Companion FY-2.

I have no money whatsoever now but when I'm at my gear fund target (ie ages away ) I'll contact you. And thanks for the velcro info, I'll check out the youtube clips when I'm back from holiday

Rate This Thread: