Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
SymmO

Bass Guitar vs Rhythm Guitar

In your view is it easier to be a good rock/pop bassist or a good rock/pop rhythm guitarist? (obviously for genres like jazz and funk, it's easier to be a rhythm guitarist).
SymmO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

You know that thing that makes you shake your ass in a pop song? That's the bass. That's hard to do well.

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Neither is "easier" than the other. They are both demanding positions requiring a lot of skill and knowledge. both have to know how to and be able to hold down a solid rhythm. Both require a considerable amount of technique. Guitarists - particularly jazz guitarists - need to know a lot of chord forms and be able to move between them effortlessly. Bassists need to know when "less is more," as well as when to play a lot of notes. It is not fair to compare the two. They are both niches within music that require a lot of the player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!

Last edited by FatalGear41 : 05-15-2012 at 01:38 AM.
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
anarkee
oh the horror!

^I will agree with your post to a point. I've been a rhythm guitarist and a bass player. As a rhythm guitarist you can be a bit looser with your sense of timing, esp. if you have a locked in rhythm section behind you. As a bass player, if you haven't got a locked groove its a major issue. There is no room for slacking in your timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Bass guitar combines rhythm, melody and percussion and links the whole band together. Its also a serious workout to play.

Not to say rhythm guitar is easy (just listen to Mastodon) but bass requires you to cover all bases (baddum tshhhh,) focus on all other instruments and have a ton of stamina.
Spaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
MellowDeath

Well Rock is a massive genre with many different sub-genres. But for the most part bass and rhythm guitar are about the same (most often they are playing the same riffs xD). But there are some stand-out groups that have waaaay more complex basslines than their over laying guitar lines; take for instance RHCPs. But than there's nirvana, where the opposit is true.

As for pop. I say bass is way more difficult, well important is a better word. Not because of the complexity of the basslines themselves, but because the actual groove is made and depends on the ability of the bassist. This is debatable, but a lot of pop groups have done away with guitarists as a whole, and replaced them with keyboardists (or the evil of evils, the synthesizers >.>).
MellowDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
askrere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowDeath
Well Rock is a massive genre with many different sub-genres. But for the most part bass and rhythm guitar are about the same (most often they are playing the same riffs xD). But there are some stand-out groups that have waaaay more complex basslines than their over laying guitar lines; take for instance RHCPs. But than there's nirvana, where the opposit is true.

As for pop. I say bass is way more difficult, well important is a better word. Not because of the complexity of the basslines themselves, but because the actual groove is made and depends on the ability of the bassist. This is debatable, but a lot of pop groups have done away with guitarists as a whole, and replaced them with keyboardists (or the evil of evils, the synthesizers >.>).

Being in Austin, the capitol of hipsterdom for the south, this is very true, why buy a guitar when you can get a $10 casio keyboard and a looper.

To my knowledge though, Kurt and Krist often played the same thing or pretty close, and neither were that "complex".
askrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
CJ Noble
WAHAHA~!

for pop rock, rhythm guitar is easier.
CJ Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
MellowDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by askrere
Being in Austin, the capitol of hipsterdom for the south, this is very true, why buy a guitar when you can get a $10 casio keyboard and a looper.

Oh wow that's rough. It's pretty bad here in the Netherlands too. Pop, the slow degradation of the music industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by askrere
To my knowledge though, Kurt and Krist often played the same thing or pretty close, and neither were that "complex".

Hmmm, I wouldn't say their parts are complex, or that one part is more difficult to play over the other, but the guitar does a little more than the bass does within a given song, neglecting solos of course.

Take for instance Breed. The bass goes from the intro/verse to bridge (F# for a bar or 2) and then into the chorus, and then back to the verse. Where as the guitar goes intro/pre-verse (?) - verse (?) (the part where he strums the F#5 and does a lil pull off vibrato thing) - bridge - chorus - and repeat.

Smells like teen spirit. F-B-Ab-Db, apart from a bridge, that's all that the bass does really xD, the strum pattern changes, but not very dynamic. The guitar has lil more going on with the "meledy" part of the chorus.
MellowDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

For AC/DC, bass is much easier. Though rhythm guitar isn't very hard either.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Spanner93
Comrade Spanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowDeath
Oh wow that's rough. It's pretty bad here in the Netherlands too. Pop, the slow degradation of the music industry

Oh yes, its now reached the stage in Utrecht where you now stand out for NOT wearing Rayban Wayfarers and acting like a complete tosser.....

OT: Bass guitar hands down, rhythm guitar always sound a little uninspired compared to lead/bass.
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
CJ Noble
WAHAHA~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine

For AC/DC the lead guitar isn't all that difficult.
CJ Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #13
consecutive e
draws 'til death.

Quote:

The bass is barely audible in AC/DC songs. Listen closely and you do hear a couple of little pieces of wizardry every now and again.
TS there's no way to give your question a straight answer, take a step back and look at all the variables. If you're wanting the easiest option I daresay you're not playing for the right reasons anyway.
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
consecutive e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #14
askrere

Quote:
Originally Posted by consecutive e
If you're wanting the easiest option I daresay you're not playing for the right reasons anyway.

That's the truth of the matter.
askrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #15
anarkee
oh the horror!

If this were a superhero stand off...Bass wins, hands down. Sorry I keep on thinking that every time I see this thread title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:48 AM   #16
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Noble
For AC/DC the lead guitar isn't all that difficult.

But it is the most difficult part of AC/DC songs. And some songs are pretty shreddy (like Squealer). But determine "difficult." I think any song isn't difficult for a good guitarist/good bassist. If you can play it in studio you must be able to play it live without struggling. So no song is difficult for the band who plays them.

I'm not talking about all the songs by AC/DC. But the songs after Highway to Hell usually have 8th one-note basslines. Of course they have some more complicated basslines, like "Love Hungry Man" and many of their older songs. But on songs like "Highway to Hell" or "Thunderstruck" the bassline is very simple. AC/DC's music bases on simplicity so all the parts are pretty simple.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #17
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
But it is the most difficult part of AC/DC songs. And some songs are pretty shreddy (like Squealer). But determine "difficult." I think any song isn't difficult for a good guitarist/good bassist. If you can play it in studio you must be able to play it live without struggling. So no song is difficult for the band who plays them.

I'm not talking about all the songs by AC/DC. But the songs after Highway to Hell usually have 8th one-note basslines. Of course they have some more complicated basslines, like "Love Hungry Man" and many of their older songs. But on songs like "Highway to Hell" or "Thunderstruck" the bassline is very simple. AC/DC's music bases on simplicity so all the parts are pretty simple.

I love Squealer. the bassline is pretty cool (and simple and esay, i know, but really efective, that is what counts...) And i have to agree that from Back in Black to the present the basslines have become more and more boring. It is true that the bassist was different from highway to hell, but in that particular record, basslines are cool enough, :S

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #18
vaca11
BLİTZ-KRİEG

bass is a more "solo" instrument than "rhythm". I hate people to compare bass with guitar, especially as rhythm. Yes bass keeps rhythm and controls the music.. but you got the biggest freedom to add some groove

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bugera Fire Wall Half Stack
^
vaca11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #19
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaca11
bass is a more "solo" instrument than "rhythm". I hate people to compare bass with guitar, especially as rhythm. Yes bass keeps rhythm and controls the music.. but you got the biggest freedom to add some groove

You are kind of right. Of course if there are two guitars, they can't play as freely as the bassist. But if there was only one guitarist... Or like in Guns N' Roses. Both guitarists play different things and they play pretty freely. But I wouldn't say bass is a "solo instrument." I mean, you have a bit more freedom than the rhythm guitarist in a band with 2 guitarists but you don't play solos. It's a different thing. Solo is when you are the only instrument/the main instrument who plays a melody, usually improvised. And when bass keeps the rhythm, it doesn't solo. Bass solos are a different thing and IMO overrated (they are cool when one or two songs have a bass solo but not the coolest thing in the world. If you want to play bass like a guitar, why don't you play the guitar?) Cool basslines are the stuff!

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Old 05-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #20
fireraven

Quote:
You are kind of right. Of course if there are two guitars, they can't play as freely as the bassist. But if there was only one guitarist... Or like in Guns N' Roses. Both guitarists play different things and they play pretty freely. But I wouldn't say bass is a "solo instrument." I mean, you have a bit more freedom than the rhythm guitarist in a band with 2 guitarists but you don't play solos. It's a different thing. Solo is when you are the only instrument/the main instrument who plays a melody, usually improvised. And when bass keeps the rhythm, it doesn't solo. Bass solos are a different thing and IMO overrated (they are cool when one or two songs have a bass solo but not the coolest thing in the world. If you want to play bass like a guitar, why don't you play the guitar?) Cool basslines are the stuff!

A nice bass solo has a different ambiance than a guitar. Sure guitars can do a lot more while soloing but they can't give you the same feel as a bass does when doing lead roles. By far it's certainly not the most practical thing in the world, but none the less it's fun and complicated in it's own sense.
fireraven is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: