Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-15-2012, 02:17 AM   #1
FlightofIcarus

Recommendation for a 5-string on a budget?

Hey all,

Been awhile since I've posted in here. To keep it short and sweet, I'm working on getting actively involved in the music world again w/a new project. I'm switching to 7 string guitars for it, and I've decided that the 4 string bass I use for recording just doesn't like drop A# tuning too much (not to mention, it's far from the greatest bass on the planet), so due to that, combined w/the desire for more note range, I will be looking into getting myself a 5 string in the next few months.

Basically, just looking for a few recommendations to try out. I'm not primarily a bassist, so I'm not after a $1K+ beast, but I don't want a $100 turd either . I'm after the following..

Price range - $250-$500 USD, preferably in the middle of that if possible. New or used, doesn't matter. I'm ok w/using Ebay/online sources to buy too.

Style/sound - Melodic death/thrash metal/hard rock. I'm looking for a big, beefy punch, w/enough clarity for upper notes to shine through the guitars.

Amp - I'm mostly gonna be using it for DI tracks/recording, so yeah. I don't have a bass amp atm! :p

All advice appreciated!
Nothing about a 7 string guitar is different than a 6 string except for extra string. You don't play it differently, you don't lick it differently, and you certainly don't take it to cheap restaurants either, you saucy boy.

FlightofIcarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
BionicRooster
Died for Metal

ESP LTD B-155DX go for around $380, They suit your music and are in your budget.

Schecter Riot Deluxe 5 String Bass for around $400. IMO this one is probably better than the ESP LTD as it has an active system (although you may not like that).

thats what I can think off the top of my head.
BionicRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:20 AM   #3
Campbell2727

the brands "Vintage" and "Cort" have some really quality stuff for a good price check out their websites for a model you like
Old 05-15-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
consecutive e
draws 'til death.

The Squier 5 string VM Jazz should do you pretty well. I think they're just a smidge over $300 in the US.
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
consecutive e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
Sethis

The Yamaha RBX375 is a classic choice in your range. Serves me well...
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #6
chatterbox272

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass...ing-bass-guitar

Love mine for metal, those active humbuckers are perfect for metal IMO. Otherwise like consecutive I'd back the VM, very rarely hear of someone unhappy with a VM.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #7
Spanner93
Comrade Spanner

The Ibanez SR305 is a beast for the money, I don't know about the price in dollars but here in europe they're about 330 euros. The peavey millenium or peavey grind basses are also pretty decent for the money (310-400 euros, depending on active/passive and colour).
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
thebeamish

I've got an Ibanez SR505 and although I'm getting slightly sick of that fifth string four years down the line, it's a quality bass and has plenty of balls on the B (or A#) string. At the slightly higher end of your price brackets, but worth it I think.
thebeamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
anarkee
oh the horror!

I'll concur on the Ibanez but also check out Rondo basses. Their Q/A has improved and you can get a good deal on 5 and 6 string basses and have cash left over for a decent amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
moody git
I bad writing

i'll add another vote for the rbx375, i should be getting one in the coming months too. i've played a good number of them and they've all felt brilliant
Old 05-18-2012, 02:34 AM   #11
TheBrownPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by consecutive e
The Squier 5 string VM Jazz should do you pretty well. I think they're just a smidge over $300 in the US.

I think the VM Jazz basses are far above basses near theyre price so definitely play one if you get the chance. I once owned a schecter stiletto custom 5 and it played like butter. I originally thought the passive EMG's would sound like junk but they were pretty good once I actually plugged it in. I got it for $320 and it was easily worth it. But as with any buying decision play as many instruments as you can plugged in and if not, even playing one acoustic for five minutes can give you an idea if it plays and feels right to you
Old 10-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #12
FlightofIcarus

Bringing this thread back! . I realize this was months ago. However, I am still without a 5 string bass. That will finally be changing, most likely this week, as things should finally get rolling w/this new project soon (picked up playing a 4 string for another project on the side).

In the other project I'm working with, I recently had the chance to record a demo w/a MIJ Fender Jazz bass with active electronics. Needless to say, it was pretty stellar bass, and although I don't expect a Squier VM 5-string Jazz to be in the same caliber, it's definitely a temping budget option for me now.

Main thing I'm wondering, is how are the stock electronics/hardware on the Squier Jazz basses? I see that you can get them w/either passive or active electronics, but am wondering if they're usable as-is? Or if I would have to do a pickup swap for the styles I will be using it for?

Also, anyone know if the Brice 5 strings on Rondomusic are any good? That's another one that caught my eye, even though I'm leaning towards just going w/a Jazz.

Thanks!
Nothing about a 7 string guitar is different than a 6 string except for extra string. You don't play it differently, you don't lick it differently, and you certainly don't take it to cheap restaurants either, you saucy boy.

FlightofIcarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #13
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightofIcarus
Bringing this thread back! . I realize this was months ago. However, I am still without a 5 string bass. That will finally be changing, most likely this week, as things should finally get rolling w/this new project soon (picked up playing a 4 string for another project on the side).

In the other project I'm working with, I recently had the chance to record a demo w/a MIJ Fender Jazz bass with active electronics. Needless to say, it was pretty stellar bass, and although I don't expect a Squier VM 5-string Jazz to be in the same caliber, it's definitely a temping budget option for me now.

Main thing I'm wondering, is how are the stock electronics/hardware on the Squier Jazz basses? I see that you can get them w/either passive or active electronics, but am wondering if they're usable as-is? Or if I would have to do a pickup swap for the styles I will be using it for?

Also, anyone know if the Brice 5 strings on Rondomusic are any good? That's another one that caught my eye, even though I'm leaning towards just going w/a Jazz.

Thanks!

The Squier and Brice are both VERY good.

Squier basses are shockingly great, especially if you compare them to their 6 string sisters (the Squier guitars)
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:22 AM   #14
jnunn

hey brother you should check out the epiphone 5 string thunder bird i played one on some tracks i played with my old band and it was one of the best 5 strings i have ever played the bes on i have ever played was a warwick but as u said that is a little out of your price range
jnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:47 AM   #15
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnunn
hey brother you should check out the epiphone 5 string thunder bird i played one on some tracks i played with my old band and it was one of the best 5 strings i have ever played the bes on i have ever played was a warwick but as u said that is a little out of your price range

Recommending an Epi T-Bird, that's a ballsy move . The one thing I've noticed with T-Birds (or rather, people who have played them) is that you either love them or you hate them, I've never met anyone (even online) who was on the fence on them.
Anarkee usually recommends the basses from rondo quite highly so I'm sure the Brice will be a solid bet, and this forum has a (relatively well founded) love affair with Squier VMs and CVs so it should fit perfectly. I still stand by my previous recommendation of the Yamaha RBX375 too, great bass.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #16
MatrixClaw
UG God

I haven't tried the 5 string version, but I put the Squier VM Jazz 4 up against the MIA Fender on Saturday, and while the MIA did sound better, it was certainly not $700 better.... maybe like $100 better

FWIW, I liked the Squier more than the MIM Jazz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #17
christianonbass

Thumbs up

I have a Brice 5 string. It's strange that I had never heard of them prior to the day I bought mine. I was scouring Craigslist for a cheap 5 string and I found the right deal. The seller was a fellow Christian and after hearing my story he sold it to me for less than the very reasonable asking price. From what I hear--since they are shipped from Korea directly to the buyer-- (except some are sold to dealers who purchase them for the sole purpose of charging for a professional setup) they will likely need some work before the intonation is correct. The model I have has no active electronics, and for me that is fine. I have had bad luck active EQ in the past. This thing plays and sounds like I paid a lot more for it. I would recommend it to someone, but keep in mind you may need a pro to set it up...yet you would still be spending little.

Last edited by christianonbass : 01-15-2013 at 04:59 PM.
christianonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #18
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

I'm going to recommend you a pair of basses that haven't appeared, and i own both of them. First, there's the Cort T75. Doble humbuckers with active EMG preamp (lo, mid, treble). I don't like the sound very much, but it is comfortable as a king size bed.

On the cheaper side of your budget, you could also look for Sterling SUB ray 5 (you could also look for a used Sterling ray 35, which is a lot better, but i don't know if you'd be willing to invest that much). I really really love it's sound, for the price, it has a recognizeable Musicman sound (very similar) and for me it's quality is just as good as a VM Squier (which I also used to own). The sound of this one is very charasteristic, so you may love it, or maybe dislike it, but it's definetly worth a try, and has very good definition on the low B, regardless of its price.

Good luck on your New Bass Quest!

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 AM   #19
christianonbass

I posted this in an earlier thread, but my first 5 string was a Music Man copy made in China for Ernie Ball (which I am pretty sure IS the Music Man company). The model is OLP (Officially Licensed Product). It was less than 300 after tax. I don't want to advertise, but the store's initials were GC. Actually, it was a nice bass if you don't mind a thin jazzy sound. It looked pretty nice...black with a Mother of Pearlish guard. Good luck!
christianonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #20
Sliide90027

Well Flight.

For 3-400 dollars you can find a used slick necked Ibanez BTB405 or 455.

I play with 80's guys and Death Metal, and really do nothing to my tone between them. They all love it.

Quality will be well remembered on this. Neck Stringers, 18V Preamp, Variable Mid sweep, bolt on punch.
Next step beyond this Instrument is a Ken Smith Bolt On. A Real Smith, not a KSDesign.

It is nice to have a world class structured and toned instrument in the market at such bargain prices.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: