Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 05-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #21
Kensai
49ers
 
Kensai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Francisco
If everyone is up for, I can add people to the second post according to their linguistic skill levels and what they want to learn. Such as:

English:
- Kensai (native)

Swedish:
- Kensai (native)

Portuguese
- Kensai (beginner)

Mandarine chinese:
- Kensai (learning)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecla
Portuguese is hard to learn right? Just came back from Brazil and normally I don't have a problem learning the language a bit during a holiday but with portuguese.... I still can't pronounce não

I thought Portuguese was very easy to learn; when I arrived in Brazil I barely knew a sentence, but in a month I learned enough to communicate with everyone about a lot of things.

Then again dutch pronouncations are so very far from portuguese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aralingh
A couple of questions that will determine whether or not I will learn a new language,


Do I need french in Canada?
Do I need norwegian in Norway?

Other than that, I know russian, english and estonian.


It's incredibly useful to know norwegian in norway, even though most people speak english in various degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPLTDV401DX
Just signed up for it

Ah sweet. Hasn't shown up yet but maybe in a while

edit:just showed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kämpfer
Oh you're an archaeologist? That's great cause,

I have a very large bone for you to examine.

lul


What kind of bone?
__________________
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████

Last edited by Kensai : 05-16-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Kensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #22
Kämpfer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
What kind of bone?

Wouldn't you like to know.
Kämpfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #23
Gorelord666
Lone Buffalo
 
Gorelord666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: A color map of the sun
Just singed up for that Busuu website, going to try and learn Chinese. I love how they try to incorporate the languages you say you know into a part.
__________________
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Gorelord666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #24
Kensai
49ers
 
Kensai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEESTAK_BRO
This is a great resource for learning Chinese if you want to add it to the OP. It has mirrors of translators, but also explains each word individually, making it easy to check the correctness of the translation.

Added to the third post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kämpfer
Wouldn't you like to know.

Not sure if would >.>
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
I'm going to start taking Mandarin classes this fall for my degree field and I know enough German to get by. I've found that having a native speaker as a friend is invaluable and superior to any flashcards, websites, etc that you'll find. Just try skyping with someone who speaks the language you're learning.

My accent in Mandarin is going to be so bad.

Of course, but not everyone does and you need to start somewhere

And yeah, mine too... chinese words sound so similar and I just know I'm going to make an ass out of myself when speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorelord666
Just singed up for that Busuu website, going to try and learn Chinese. I love how they try to incorporate the languages you say you know into a part.



Let me know if you need any help with it.
__________________
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
Kensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #25
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack
 
StewieSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
Of course, but not everyone does and you need to start somewhere

And yeah, mine too... chinese words sound so similar and I just know I'm going to make an ass out of myself when speaking.



Yeah. I was seeing this girl for a while and she and her little sisters both spoke mandarin. Her 5-year-old sister tried to teach me some once and it went a bit like this:

Her: Ok, now say 'wu'
Me: What does that mean?
Her: It means five!
Me: Wu...
Her: NO, YOU JUST SAID WATER!
Me: T_T

A 5-year-old was getting frustrated with me learning too slow.
__________________
Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature.

-Michael Faraday


Original Wood&Strings Song
StewieSwan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #26
hb15577
Easy like sunday
 
hb15577's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
I've signed onto the busuu website, I've been trying to learn french for a while now I've got mobile phone apps, I've been watching youtube videos and reading random articles over the web and none of them really motivate me so hopefully this does the job.
__________________
hb15577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #27
N_J_B_B
Nicko.
 
N_J_B_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Australia
I'm learning French
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
N_J_B_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #28
akack
stones throw fanboy
 
akack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: bombay
English and Hindi (native) if you want to put it in the OP.
akack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #29
entity0009
UG's Null.
 
entity0009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Null.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
Yeah. I was seeing this girl for a while and she and her little sisters both spoke mandarin. Her 5-year-old sister tried to teach me some once and it went a bit like this:

Her: Ok, now say 'wu'
Me: What does that mean?
Her: It means five!
Me: Wu...
Her: NO, YOU JUST SAID WATER!
Me: T_T

A 5-year-old was getting frustrated with me learning too slow.

Part of the reason I want to learn it to be honest. The reliance on intonation makes it such a unique sounding language.
__________________
🙈 🙉 🙊
entity0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #30
hriday_hazarika
is a Space Lion. ^___^
 
hriday_hazarika's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: [Arriving] somewhere, but not here...
I'm learning Japanese right now.

I'm fluent in English and Assamese, and I'm alright/I can manage day-to-day things in Hindi. Also, since it's quite similar to Assamese, I can understand Bengali somewhat, but I don't know how to speak it.

There are lots of resources online for Japanese. Even a quick Google search turns up lots of useful stuff.

I also bought a dictionary of Japanese grammar a few months back, and it's pretty damn useful. On my phone, I have a J-E dictionary app that has many, many words with their kanji, kana, and, romaji forms, so that's been a huge help too. You should really get if you're on an Android phone.

I can only manage a few basic sentences so far, and I recognize a few kanji/kana, but I haven't been studying the language a lot lately, since my exams are right around the corner. Once they're over, I'll be studying Japanese pretty heavily, since watching anime and reading manga aren't marketable skills.

If anyone else here is learning Japanese, we can exchange resources and stuff, if you'd like. I know James [NothingRocks] is learning Japanese. Anyone else?
__________________

YOU CAN'T SPELL "MESHUGGAH" WITHOUT "HUG"
^___^

Buy or download my music for free!
Aberrant Corollary | Robots At A Rave

Bandcamp Collecshun | Last.FM | My Anime List | Steam

UG Post-Rock | UG Hip Hop
Moar UGPR

THERE IS NO HAPPY HERE
hriday_hazarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #31
sam b
#SackPardew
 
sam b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Suomi
I advise not learning Finnish online, or even trying to. You need a Finn, or a very experienced Finnish teacher to teach you
__________________

'Veteran User of the Year' - 2013
(Life = Complete)
Newcastle United Football Club
Lewis Hamilton
Kimi Räikkönen
Quite.
sam b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #32
Telecaster7
Call me Leon
 
Telecaster7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
I did top level German in high school, though that was pretty basic, and I'm forgetting it quicker every day. I'd like to learn Spanish too, and perhaps a northern European language, like Finnish or Swedish.
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #33
jugglingfreak
UG Newbie
 
jugglingfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia
Sure,

I took two years of German in high school. I still remember some but have lost some since.

I'm trying to learn Japanese. Making some progress verbally, but the Kana are tough.
(currently only working on Hiragana and Katakana. Kanji looks a bit daunting for now)
jugglingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #34
Gorelord666
Lone Buffalo
 
Gorelord666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: A color map of the sun
You can add me to that list.
Spanish (native)
Italian (Two years experience. It's getting a little choppy though)
and English (I guess... >_>)
Chinese (Learning)
__________________
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Gorelord666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #35
laid-to-waste
...BlTCH
 
laid-to-waste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Manchester, UK
i was thinking of learning french over the summer, starting when i get back from kenya mid-july
__________________
I understand I am often wrong. Tell my why I'm wrong if I am.
laid-to-waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #36
Kensai
49ers
 
Kensai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
Yeah. I was seeing this girl for a while and she and her little sisters both spoke mandarin. Her 5-year-old sister tried to teach me some once and it went a bit like this:

Her: Ok, now say 'wu'
Me: What does that mean?
Her: It means five!
Me: Wu...
Her: NO, YOU JUST SAID WATER!
Me: T_T

A 5-year-old was getting frustrated with me learning too slow.

Haha, well chinese people are used to a higher learning pace.

I'm aching to use my chinese in one of the restaurants around here, but I have to learn more about the pronounciation so I don't accidentally wildly insult everyone in the restaurant and China while speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hriday_hazarika
I'm learning Japanese right now.

I'm fluent in English and Assamese, and I'm alright/I can manage day-to-day things in Hindi. Also, since it's quite similar to Assamese, I can understand Bengali somewhat, but I don't know how to speak it.

There are lots of resources online for Japanese. Even a quick Google search turns up lots of useful stuff.

I also bought a dictionary of Japanese grammar a few months back, and it's pretty damn useful. On my phone, I have a J-E dictionary app that has many, many words with their kanji, kana, and, romaji forms, so that's been a huge help too. You should really get if you're on an Android phone.

I can only manage a few basic sentences so far, and I recognize a few kanji/kana, but I haven't been studying the language a lot lately, since my exams are right around the corner. Once they're over, I'll be studying Japanese pretty heavily, since watching anime and reading manga aren't marketable skills.

If anyone else here is learning Japanese, we can exchange resources and stuff, if you'd like. I know James [NothingRocks] is learning Japanese. Anyone else?


If you want me to add any resources to the third post let me know the names and links and and a short description and I'll add it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorelord666
You can add me to that list.
Spanish (native)
Italian (Two years experience. It's getting a little choppy though)
and English (I guess... >_>)
Chinese (Learning)


Added you, but sort of guessed your skill level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laid-to-waste
i was thinking of learning french over the summer, starting when i get back from kenya mid-july


Ah cool, what will you do in kenya?
__________________
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
Kensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #37
laid-to-waste
...BlTCH
 
laid-to-waste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Manchester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
Ah cool, what will you do in kenya?

going to nairobi specifically, and will be staying with a lovely and reliable gentleman i've been exchanging emails with by the name of joseph. he owns an orphanage called havilla foundations, and i'll be over there volunteering! should be a blast. you're welcome to come along, i'm great fun.
__________________
I understand I am often wrong. Tell my why I'm wrong if I am.
laid-to-waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #38
ZombieCran
Q(O_OQ)
 
ZombieCran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
I want in on that list!
Spanish, and English native.
In French I'm a beginner.
__________________
(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
ZombieCran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #39
bastards
Dirigo
 
bastards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dreaming in Polyrhythms
I want to learn Russian

I made it a point to study a week or two ago but I've been keeping up with it.... none at all. But I can still remember the basic grammar rules. Perfective, gender possesive... I think that's it. One of the examples I read was in Russian was "Could you pass the salt please?". Direct translation would be something like "Give salt please", which really helped eliminate all the baggage that comes with learning a new language.

Also Ruskki babes.
__________________
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH




Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
bastards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #40
MakinLattes
fully retractable
 
MakinLattes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: { }
Let's all learn French together so we can read proofs!
MakinLattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:19 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.