User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #61
hriday_hazarika
is a Space Lion. ^___^

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAngrySquirrel
Good recommendations. I have an iPhone, but I've found a pretty similar dictionary on the app store. Might have to dig harder to find a good iPhone version of Obenkyo though.

There are definitely other apps that do the same thing as Obenkyo, but Obenkyo has everything in it, so you don't need to download multiple things. The recent addition of the grammar/particles section was a huge bonus.

The grammar dictionary that I own is this one. Do consider buying it. It has explanations in simple-to-understand English, and has many, many example sentences. These sentences are written in Japanese, but they always have an English translation right underneath them. And they try to translate the sentence as literally as possible, so that's a great help too. Translation generally favours carrying the meaning rather than the exact words, so this exception is helpful, since it gives you a sort of a leg-up in thinking like a native speaker rather than someone who just wants to translate stuff.

The book's a bit pricey perhaps, but I found it in pristine condition at a second-hand bookshop, so maybe you will too.

YOU CAN'T SPELL "MESHUGGAH" WITHOUT "HUG"
^___^

Buy or download my music for free!
Aberrant Corollary | Robots At A Rave

Bandcamp Collecshun | Last.FM | My Anime List | Steam

UG Post-Rock | UG Hip Hop
Moar UGPR

THERE IS NO HAPPY HERE
hriday_hazarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #62
TheCD

I'm trying to learn Dutch, currently, as my grandfather immigrated from Belgium in the 30's. Still very basic beginner's level, but there are enough similarities to move along quickly.

Native (American) English speaker.

Also, www.livemocha.com is a website I have found useful. I have heard that it is similar to busuu but not quite as good (though it offers tons of languages).
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #63
AnAngrySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hriday_hazarika
There are definitely other apps that do the same thing as Obenkyo, but Obenkyo has everything in it, so you don't need to download multiple things. The recent addition of the grammar/particles section was a huge bonus.

The grammar dictionary that I own is this one. Do consider buying it. It has explanations in simple-to-understand English, and has many, many example sentences. These sentences are written in Japanese, but they always have an English translation right underneath them. And they try to translate the sentence as literally as possible, so that's a great help too. Translation generally favours carrying the meaning rather than the exact words, so this exception is helpful, since it gives you a sort of a leg-up in thinking like a native speaker rather than someone who just wants to translate stuff.

The book's a bit pricey perhaps, but I found it in pristine condition at a second-hand bookshop, so maybe you will too.

Yeah I've found an app for writing kana. It only has a couple hundred characters, which doesn't sound like a lot, but for a free app I don't expect much. Plus, I have to start somewhere.

And that is a bit too pricey for my liking. I'll look around in any book stores that I'm in though, thanks for the recommendation.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #64
Weirdbag
UG Member

I'm native german, so I could help some people who are trying to learn german, since german is pretty hard actually

EDIT: (you can add me kensai)

Post-Rock Project

Last edited by Weirdbag : 05-16-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Weirdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #65
Extra Ordinary
Meh

I have about four months of summer vacation so I might as well try to learn a language.

English is my native language. I did learn French for about five years in school, but I've forgotten nearly everything. I'm interested in learning German and Japanese and figured I might tackle one of those. My mother knows Cantonese and my father knows some German, Tamil, and Sinhalese, so I can get help from them.
Does anyone have any recommendation as to another language I should consider? Any tips on how to get started? Anything?

Great thread idea by the way.

Last edited by Extra Ordinary : 05-16-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Extra Ordinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #66
TheTones
UG's Zelda/Radiohead Fan

Japanese (Learning)

EDIT : If for some reason, someone here wants to learn/develop their English I can help.

Sigged by JamSessionFreak

Last edited by TheTones : 05-16-2012 at 11:54 AM.
TheTones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #67
TheTee56
UG'S Banana Saviour

I speak three languages while currently learning a fourth.
I expect to be fluent in the fourth in the next two years.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

TheTee56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #68
institutions
i ply base

I took a few years of Mandarin Chinese in high school, but I don't remember much of it.

I've been wanting to learn Japanese for quite a few years now (if I actually started and kept with it back when I started wanting to learn it, i'd probably know a lot by now) but I procrastinate faaar too much D:
I might try and start learning it, but i'm also about to enroll in a few college classes so >_>

=^● ⋏ ●^=
my anime list! | steam! | last.fm!
playing: nba 2k15, rocksmith 2014
institutions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #69
ErikLensherr
Bram Sockmann ©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdbag
I'm native german, so I could help some people who are trying to learn german, since german is pretty hard actually

EDIT: (you can add me kensai)

Guten Tag. Woher kommen Sie? Haben Sie ein Auto?
When yer ready to take the leap with yer mouth-probe and direct it under her robe, ya ALWAYS gotta give the round brown mound a bit of them sweet tongue pounds cause I tell ya, her moans will be the only sound BOO-YA
ErikLensherr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #70
ali.guitarkid7
a real man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan_Poetry

Check yo PMs.

look at you scared now hoe
ali.guitarkid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #71
Weirdbag
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
Guten Tag. Woher kommen Sie? Haben Sie ein Auto?

Yes.

Jk, Mir geht es gut, wie geht es dir? Ich habe kein Auto, denn ich bin noch minderjährig.

Post-Rock Project

Old 05-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #72
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
Oh and if you do, let me know if you did so I can see if the reference thing works.

So that's your game, huh? Trying to reference us back to your fancy language site so you can unlock more features. Not even pretending like this thread isn't merely made out of your own self-interest.

On topic I'm a native English speaker and I guess a beginner at Spanish.

JackWhiteIsButts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #73
hriday_hazarika
is a Space Lion. ^___^

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Experienced?
So that's your game, huh? Trying to reference us back to your fancy language site so you can unlock more features. Not even pretending like this thread isn't merely made out of your own self-interest.

YOU CAN'T SPELL "MESHUGGAH" WITHOUT "HUG"
^___^

Buy or download my music for free!
Aberrant Corollary | Robots At A Rave

Bandcamp Collecshun | Last.FM | My Anime List | Steam

UG Post-Rock | UG Hip Hop
Moar UGPR

THERE IS NO HAPPY HERE
hriday_hazarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #74
ErikLensherr
Bram Sockmann ©

Quote:
Yes.

Jk, Mir geht es gut, wie geht es dir? Ich habe kein Auto, denn ich bin noch minderjährig.

Mir geht es gut auch. Ich habe kein Auto, denn ich bin arm.
When yer ready to take the leap with yer mouth-probe and direct it under her robe, ya ALWAYS gotta give the round brown mound a bit of them sweet tongue pounds cause I tell ya, her moans will be the only sound BOO-YA
Old 05-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #75
Weirdbag
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
Mir geht es gut auch. Ich habe kein Auto, denn ich bin arm.

Das ist natürlich blöd, nur gut das jeder Deutsche einen Mercedes bekommt, wenn er/sie 18 wird.
Einfach so.

Post-Rock Project

Old 05-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #76
Kensai
49ers

Adding a bunch of stuff to the OPs now, let me know if anything is incorrect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Experienced?

On topic I'm a native English speaker and I guess a beginner at Spanish.

You caught me, the entire thread is a ruse

I actually don't know what it does besides get me friends on busuu. It's supposed to give me the travel course but I already have it

Btw I see a lot of people signing up for busuu but I've only had two people verfiied. What gives?
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
Kensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #77
AnAngrySquirrel

Okay, I can tell learning Japanese is going to be a daunting task. I just tried working out how to write hello in katakana by doing it phonetically, and ended up with something that was nothing like the actual way of writing it.

Also, how do you know which script to use for certain words? So if I wanted to write hello, would it be Hiragana or Katakana? Or Kanji?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #78
ErikLensherr
Bram Sockmann ©

Quote:
Das ist natürlich blöd, nur gut das jeder Deutsche einen Mercedes bekommt, wenn er/sie 18 wird.
Einfach so.

I already have to go to google translate. How humiliating.

In Amerika, jeder Amerikaner eine Pistole bekommt.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #79
ZombieCran
Q(O_OQ)

Is it me or does the Bussu profile page look a little bit...... silly?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #80
Don_Humpador
UG Monkey

Location: battles in built demons on a daily basis. Doesn't know what to do with his life. Is ever hoping. Was also once I.O.T.M's e-wife, though that ended in suspicious circumstances. We don't talk about that any more.
I know a tiny bit of Korean and for a while I could pronounce anything in hangeul even if I didn't know the meaning of it, I learnt the symbols of hangeul and could put them together.

I'd like to restart learning. There's a great site which you should add to the OP, Kensai :

http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/

I can't begin to say how awesome this site is and the people that run it. They're super super friendly, and the website has everything you could possibly want, for free. There's a whole series of beginner lessons and soforth, all with PDFs that you can use to read and revise with.

Here's the link to where you start ;

http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/cat.../?sort=date_asc

And here is a nice site where you can start learning hangeul ;

http://www.koreanwikiproject.com/wi...e=Learn_hangeul
Don_Humpador is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: