Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #81
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I've got the tapes for Pimsleur Polish. Through about 3 of them now. My last name is polish, figured I might as well. Thought about learning russian, but didn't want to dive straight into learning the Crylic alphabet.

BUCKY

Last edited by Spaceonaut : 05-16-2012 at 02:18 PM.
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #82
akack
stones throw fanboy

My brother (interning in Germany, knows very little German) just sent me this:

"i walked into my boss' boss' boss' office because a colleague of mine said the former had the eggs necessary to cook the Maultaschen for lunch. i walked in and for some reason decided to talk german because i didnt know if he speaks english. and just said 'hast du eier' which literally means do you have the eggs. but he had a shocked look on his face and then people started laughing. apparently in german it's the equivalent of walking into your boss' boss' boss' office and saying 'GOT BALLS?'.

shit."

I know this thread isn't for shit like this, but can any German speaker please confirm this is true?
akack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #83
hriday_hazarika
is a Space Lion. ^___^

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAngrySquirrel
Okay, I can tell learning Japanese is going to be a daunting task. I just tried working out how to write hello in katakana by doing it phonetically, and ended up with something that was nothing like the actual way of writing it.

Also, how do you know which script to use for certain words? So if I wanted to write hello, would it be Hiragana or Katakana? Or Kanji?

Kanji can be called the "main" script of the three scripts. For words that don't have Kanji characters, or for different grammar forms, Hiragana is used. Of course, it goes much deeper than that, but that's the general idea.

Katakana is used for foreign-language loandwords like terebi [television] and pasokon [personal computer]. Katakana is also used to write names. Now, names are always written in Kanji [with a few exceptions, when the parents don't want to use Kanji], but since there are many ways to pronounce even a single Kanji, naming can get a bit ambiguous. So, on things like business cards, people usually write their name alongside the Kanji in Katakana, so that it's clear to the receiver as to what the pronunciation is.

As for saying "hallo", there are many ways. You can simply say "hallo", but in a Japanese accent, which would be "ha-ro". Since that's a loanword, you write it in Katakana. It'd look like this - ハロ

In "proper" Japanese, one usually says "konnichiwa". Now, greeting people according to the time of day is very important, so there isn't a direct translation to "hallo" as such. So, depending on the time of day, you can say different things. But, "konnichiwa" is generally accepted as an appropriate way of saying hallo to someone.

Since "konnichiwa" is a native Japanese word, but doesn't have a Kanji, you're expected to write it in Hiragana - こんにちは

You'll notice that I've written the "wa" as "ha". There's an explanation to that. In Japanese, the marker "wa" is written as "ha", but pronounced "wa". Silly, I know. But, that's just the way it is.

"Konnichiwa" is essentially "konnichi" [today] and "wa" [is]. So, yeah, when you're saying hallo to someone, you're literally saying "today is".

YOU CAN'T SPELL "MESHUGGAH" WITHOUT "HUG"
^___^

Buy or download my music for free!
Aberrant Corollary | Robots At A Rave

Bandcamp Collecshun | Last.FM | My Anime List | Steam

UG Post-Rock | UG Hip Hop
Moar UGPR

THERE IS NO HAPPY HERE

Last edited by hriday_hazarika : 02-24-2013 at 09:47 AM.
hriday_hazarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #84
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
You caught me, the entire thread is a ruse

I actually don't know what it does besides get me friends on busuu. It's supposed to give me the travel course but I already have it

Btw I see a lot of people signing up for busuu but I've only had two people verfiied. What gives?

I'm signing up but not using your reference link to spite you.

JackWhiteIsButts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #85
damian_91

Spanish (native)

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/damian-91

My Gear:

Misha Mansoor Signature Carvin DC 747
Boss NF-1 Noise Gate (x10)
damian_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #86
Kensai
49ers

Just added a whole bunch of stuff to the OPs. If I missed anything or something needs changing, let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Experienced?
I'm signing up but not using your reference link to spite you.

You are dead to me.
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
Kensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #87
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

If you want you can put me down as English native speaker, probably German beginner (for now )
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #88
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled

http://duolingo.com/

This is supposed to be a nifty site, but it's currently in closed beta. Might want to throw it in the OP anyway.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #89
AnAngrySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hriday_hazarika

Kanji can be called the "main" script of the three scripts. For words that don't have Kanji characters, or for different grammar forms, Hiragana is used. Of course, it goes much deeper than that, but that's the general idea.

Katakana is used for foreign-language loandwords like terebi [television] and pasokon [personal computer]. Katakana is also used to write names. Now, names are always written in Kanji [with a few exceptions, when the parents don't want to use Kanji], but since there are many ways to pronounce even a single Kanji, naming can get a bit ambiguous. So, on things like business cards, people usually write their name alongside the Kanji in Katakana, so that it's clear to the receiver as to what the pronunciation is.

As for saying "hallo", there are many ways. You can simply say "hallo", but in a Japanese accent, which would be "ha-ro". Since that's a loanword, you write it in Katakana. It'd look like this - ハロ

In "proper" Japanese, one usually says "konnichiwa". Now, greeting people according to the time of day is very important, so there isn't a direct translation to "hallo" as such. So, depending on the time of day, you can say different things. But, "konnichiwa" is generally accepted as an appropriate way of saying hallo to someone.

Since "konnichiwa" is a native Japanese word, but doesn't have a Kanji, you're expected to write it in Hiragana - こんいちは

You'll notice that I've written the "wa" as "ha". There's an explanation to that. In Japanese, the marker "wa" is written as "ha", but pronounced "wa". Silly, I know. But, that's just the way it is.

"Konnichiwa" is essentially "konnichi" [today] and "wa" [is]. So, yeah, when you're saying hallo to someone, you're literally saying "today is".

Wow you are really helpful I was trying to write out konnichiwa in Hiragana, but I couldn't find the symbol for chi on the app I was using so I tried in Katakana instead. Now that I've checked again, I see it straight away in the Hiragana section though

If I did use わ (wa) instead of は (ha), would that make the word different?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #90
Pi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akack
My brother (interning in Germany, knows very little German) just sent me this:

"i walked into my boss' boss' boss' office because a colleague of mine said the former had the eggs necessary to cook the Maultaschen for lunch. i walked in and for some reason decided to talk german because i didnt know if he speaks english. and just said 'hast du eier' which literally means do you have the eggs. but he had a shocked look on his face and then people started laughing. apparently in german it's the equivalent of walking into your boss' boss' boss' office and saying 'GOT BALLS?'.

shit."

I know this thread isn't for shit like this, but can any German speaker please confirm this is true?

In Spanish, they use their word for eggs (huevos) to mean balls. Maybe it's the same in German?

I am a native English speaker and I speak OK Spanish.
Pi! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #91
Dash49
UG's Naive Idiot

I speaks the Russian.
Native tongue

Don't click this.
Dash49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #92
Kensai
49ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Experienced?
http://duolingo.com/

This is supposed to be a nifty site, but it's currently in closed beta. Might want to throw it in the OP anyway.

Not too crazy about putting a website currently in closed beta that no one has tried in the OP. I signed up for chinese but it's still on "coming soon". The background looks similar to busuu's for that matter!
██████████████████████████
Kensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #93
hriday_hazarika
is a Space Lion. ^___^

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAngrySquirrel
Wow you are really helpful I was trying to write out konnichiwa in Hiragana, but I couldn't find the symbol for chi on the app I was using so I tried in Katakana instead. Now that I've checked again, I see it straight away in the Hiragana section though

If I did use わ (wa) instead of は (ha), would that make the word different?

Thanks, man. Let me know if you need any other help. It's not like I know much either, but I'll try to help to the best of my abilities.

Most people would understand if you used わ instead of は, but like I said, it's a rule, and you have to follow it. Keep in mind that the wa-ha transformation only applies if wa is being used as a marker to something, for example: "watashi wa AnAngrySquirrel desu", which shall be written as "watashi ha AnAngrySquirrel desu" [notice how the "wa" in "watashi" doesn't change to "ha"]. Suppose you want to write something like watashi or wasabi in Hiragana, you have to use the regular wa.

Also, on the subject of casually greeting people, lots of young Japanese people also say things like "yo" or "yahoo" [I know it's strange to say "yahoo" to someone as a greeting, but some girls do say this, lol; it's actually more of a yah-haw sound, kinda hard to pin it without using phonetics] to say hallo to someone, so you can use those terms too. Since they're loanwords, you're expected to write them in Katakana, but no one will mind if you write them in Hiragana, so feel free to use either one.

YOU CAN'T SPELL "MESHUGGAH" WITHOUT "HUG"
^___^

Buy or download my music for free!
Aberrant Corollary | Robots At A Rave

Bandcamp Collecshun | Last.FM | My Anime List | Steam

UG Post-Rock | UG Hip Hop
Moar UGPR

THERE IS NO HAPPY HERE

Last edited by hriday_hazarika : 05-16-2012 at 01:30 PM.
hriday_hazarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #94
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled

Oh, I get it, you're trying to streamline all the traffic through your little busuu reference link even if it's at the cost of impeding the learning of the fine members of the pit. Don't think you'll get away with this; you may be able to silence me but sooner or later the truth will come out and the people will revolt.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #95
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

I used to speak a little of a Native American language, Muscogee Creek, but I've forgotten most of it. I can still read it a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
brot pls
BladeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #96
isabiggles
UG Addict

I'm intermediate in French and Italian I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
isabiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #97
VillainousLatin
That Latino Guy

Spanish is my native

I'd say I'm Intermediate in English since I can read and write but my spoken English is shit.

I've been wanting to learn either German, Italian or Portuguese, but the last two seem to be the easiest and most accessible and useful for me right now.

Edit: Also I remember using this site a while ago to try and learn Italian but gave up too quickly, but it seems like a nice site.

http://www.livemocha.com/

Last edited by VillainousLatin : 05-16-2012 at 01:50 PM.
VillainousLatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #98
AnAngrySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hriday_hazarika

Thanks, man. Let me know if you need any other help. It's not like I know much either, but I'll try to help to the best of my abilities.

Most people would understand if you used わ instead of は, but like I said, it's a rule, and you have to follow it. Keep in mind that the wa-ha transformation only applies if wa is being used as a marker to something, for example: "watashi wa AnAngrySquirrel desu", which shall be written as "watashi ha AnAngrySquirrel desu" [notice how the "wa" in "watashi" doesn't change to "ha"]. Suppose you want to write something like watashi or wasabi in Hiragana, you have to use the regular wa.

Also, on the subject of casually greeting people, lots of young Japanese people also say things like "yo" or "yahoo" [I know it's strange to say "yahoo" to someone as a greeting, but some girls do say this, lol; it's actually more of a yah-haw sound, kinda hard to pin it without using phonetics] to say hallo to someone, so you can use those terms too. Since they're loanwords, you're expected to write them in Katakana, but no one will mind if you write them in Hiragana, so feel free to use either one.

Right, that makes sense. Thanks a lot
Old 05-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #99
Basti95
actual size

Italian speaker here. 16/16 years of living in this country says i'm pretty good
Old 05-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #100
JamSessionFreak
I broke the dam

Slovene (Native)

English (Expert); I can read and write it fluently, but my Slavic accent doesn't exactly make it easy for me to pronounce things. I'd put it between Intermediate and Expert but if I have to choose I'd pick the latter.

French (was Learning)
Italian (Learning)

Last edited by JamSessionFreak : 05-16-2012 at 02:22 PM.
JamSessionFreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: