Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM   #1
bruce em

Suggestions for guitar group meetings

Hello,
I hope I am putting this in the right folder.

I am interested in ideas (& formats) on how to hold a (weekly?) guitar group meeting for people at work. This would be about 10 people with various skill levels and ability/experiences. We have the potential to play solo, or in groups for the cafeteria at lunch or the outdoor pavillion in warmer weather.

I'm afraid ts gonna be like herding cats. Some will want to share songs & techniques but I don't think the big dogs want to give group lessons.

We could pair off with different partners each week and share that way.

We could all learn one riff from one guy/gal. Not sure what 10 people can do together but it isn't going to be Kumbaya

All help appreciated.
bruce em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM   #2
BjarnedeGraaf
UG's bear

why don't you just organise jamsessions instead of making things so complicated.

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
BjarnedeGraaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM   #3
bruce em

please explain? never been to one
bruce em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM   #4
chrismendiola
doot doot doot

What you're planning to do is likely to result in a messy chaos, if you can even manage to get 10 people of various levels of skills and playing styles together to play guitar in the same area at the same time.

Try a smaller group and jam together instead.

Buy my Telecaster

Fool me one time, shame on you.
Fool me twice, can't put the blame on you.
Fool me three times, **** the peace sign;
Load the chopper, let it rain on you.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
chrismendiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #5
mind_meld
Tortured Genius

Yeah jamming and in smaller groups will probably be your best bet. You can always just do a 12 bar blues and get everyone involved, take turns at soloing.

It sounds like what you had in mind was either a workshop kind of format or an ensemble? If you want to trade techniques/ideas etc then maybe each week a different member could teach everyone something but if you're all at different skill levels, that's going to be tricky. If it's ensemble you're going for, get people to learn a selection of songs - some on lead/melody, some on rhythm, some doing a bass line or even a percussive thing on guitar. That way you're all playing the same thing but it's appropriate to your skills.

In any case - herding cats is a very fitting similie.

Im an freakin' jeanius
mind_meld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #6
slapsymcdougal
UG Bored King

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_meld
Yeah jamming and in smaller groups will probably be your best bet. You can always just do a 12 bar blues and get everyone involved, take turns at soloing.

It sounds like what you had in mind was either a workshop kind of format or an ensemble? If you want to trade techniques/ideas etc then maybe each week a different member could teach everyone something but if you're all at different skill levels, that's going to be tricky. If it's ensemble you're going for, get people to learn a selection of songs - some on lead/melody, some on rhythm, some doing a bass line or even a percussive thing on guitar. That way you're all playing the same thing but it's appropriate to your skills.

In any case - herding cats is a very fitting similie.

It's a good idea. Though maybe that's a small group activity for part of each session, then once a month or so, all thr groups play what they've come up with for each other. Then you choose a new progression for next month, and start over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurfzone
you're winning this argument and i don't like it.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM   #7
BjarnedeGraaf
UG's bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce em
please explain? never been to one

basically you get enough people to form a band, and a few that can rotate in at some point. You might want to start with the beginners, so they can play some cover of an easy song, then let the more intermediate players join in to get a real jam going by letting them improvise together or something.

For example: say the beginners start playing Knockin on Heavens door, the intermediate players could join in halfway in the song, and play some solo's over that chord progression. the beginners keep playing the chord progression and there is your jamsession. the rest of the music they will play, will probably come naturally through the improvisaton.

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
BjarnedeGraaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM   #8
Wormholes
UG Newbie

The right folder? Damn you must be old.
Wormholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM   #9
Pastafarian96
Becoming Andy Warhol

You could also take a page from the ukulele players book, just get a bunch of people together once a week or so and just play a bunch of songs that most people recognise.

There's even a convenient song book which you could base some of the songs you play off.

http://www.maumusic.com.au/products...-sasha-20128000

I'm amazed I had my previous sig for more than an hour considering how stupid it was.
Pastafarian96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: