Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
Krieger91
I Sold The World

Developing spatial awareness in car..?

Hey Pit, I've started learning how to drive recently, and it's going ok..

Apart from the fact that I never have a f*cking clue as to where objects are in regards to the car. Specifically, the non steering wheel side (the right side, in Italy)

So, when I'm in the road, I always tend to be too close to the middle, because I'm worried I'm always to close to the other side when in fact there might be a metre.

Or, if I have to drive in between a car and a wall (happened today) on a very tight road, I nearly clipped the car (which was on my side) because I thought I was too close to the wall. So I went very close to the car..when in fact , according to the instructor, there was more than enough space on the other side.

I just can't f*cking see it. How the f*ck do you see it? People say pracise but it's done jack sh*t for me so far.

I just can't f*cking tell how close things are from the passenger side of the car. And it's annoying.

Does anyone have any trick which could help out, while driving?

And I can't practise half as much as I would like because the laws in this stupid country make it damn near impossible, unless you have parents who have a hell of a load free time.

"Does a fish have a watertight asshole?"
"...You a very wise"
Krieger91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #2
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

Are you asian or a woman or somethin?
I want to recognise your beauty's not just a mask
I want to exorcise the demons from your past
I want to satisfy the undisclosed desires in your heart

Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
Wormholes
i love your wall

Hug the side with no cars you noob. And there's a thing called a side mirror. Look at it. If you can't see the yellow line, move the **** over.
Wormholes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #4
mind_meld
Tortured Genius

My drive trainer taught me to focus on the space I wanted to go, not where I didn't. When you are looking at the road or the space or whatever it may be, you will probably naturally steer that way. As soon as you focus on the lines or the wall etc, you are more likely to veer and possibly hit something on the side. something like that, anyway. As far as spatial awareness, maybe go somewhere like a deserted carpark and set up boxes and practice driving/parking next to them. See how far off you are or how close. This way you can learn what the 'space' will look like.

(I feel like I've somehow replicated weird spam because my thoughts seem all over the shot.)

mind_meld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
GuitarGod_92
UG Newbie

I've been driving for 6 or 7 years now and have still never learned that ability, you're likely to never pick it up tbh. I just hug the drivers side everywhere I go since I can tell perfectly well how close I am to the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckersdream
I'll suck your dick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.guitarkid7
"Everything sucks" - GuitarGod_92, 2014

<3 eastwinn <3
GuitarGod_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #6
deadsmileyface
quetzalcoatl

it could be the car you're driving. some cars have better visibility in blind spots and stuff
Old 02-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #7
DukeDeRox
I draw STUFF

If you JUST started, it's gonna take awhile to adapt. Learning while you're younger helps cause it sticks with you.

Or try a motorcycle, you'll learn real fast. (Or die)
DukeDeRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:36 PM   #8
Cardbored

Check your side mirrors and keep your eyes in front of you. Don't look down on the road, that'll mess you up.
Cardbored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #9
OddOneOut
UG's Essex Girl

My driving instructor taught me to set up references in the car.
For example, I know I'm the right distance for pulling up to the curb when the curb looks like its leading into a certain part of my wiper blades. If the drivers side of the windscreen appears to be over the line dividing lanes, I'm too close to the centre. I'm not over the give way line if it appears to be under the wing mirror. The easiest way to have a look is to pull up to a quiet junction in some side roads, get out of the car and look around it to see how far away from things you are like the give way line and the curb. Then try and match it up with items inside.

Also, when in doubt, just go slow and check your wing mirrors frequently, you should be able to see down the line of your car clearly in them.

Last edited by OddOneOut : 02-17-2015 at 05:24 PM.
OddOneOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:34 PM   #10
WCPhils
Banned

I picked it up really quickly tbh. Just practice, practice, practice. Though I guess not everyone does, since the majority of people are ****ing abysmal drivers

Hopefully you're not part of that group, lol
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #11
Bob_Sacamano
every day is christmas =)

I'm horrified like, every day of scraping cars backing out of spaces and stuff lol, I don't get it either really although I've been good so far just being super careful. Yesterday though I was almost trapped because everybody parked weird due to snow covering the lines and the person behind me parked super far up. Took me like 2 minutes to get out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple07
Who here thinks that theres too many nerds here nowadays. Some day a real rain will come, and clean these streets...
Bob_Sacamano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #12
eGraham
¬cool

You get used to it.

Unless of course you have some problems visually with spatial stuff as is, then you might have to consult an instructor specifically for that.

But otherwise you will eventually learn the dimensions of your vehicle and you will be able to cut very close to things and not even think about it. I've learned the width and length of my truck pretty well over the 7 years of driving it.
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #13
So-Cal

You get used to it.
So-Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:47 PM   #14
angusfan16
butts

You'll adapt to it
Old 02-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #15
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists

Just don't drive. It is what I do. Then I will never found out if I am a crappy driver or not. Public transport is good here so **** it. Not going to spend thousands of euros getting a license for an item that I can't afford nor want.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:53 PM   #16
WCPhils
Banned

You guys have to pay thousands to get your license? That blows

I think my permit cost $10
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #17
angusfan16
butts

My permit cost my granny $10
Old 02-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #18
JamSessionFreak
I broke the dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddOneOut
My driving instructor taught me to set up references in the car.
For example, I know I'm the right distance for pulling up to the curb when the curb looks like its leading into a certain part of my wiper blades. If the drivers side of the windscreen appears to be over the line dividing lanes, I'm too close to the centre. I'm not over the give way line if it appears to be under the wing mirror. The easiest way to have a look is to pull up to a quiet junction in some side roads, get out of the car and look around it to see how far away from things you are like the give way line and the curb. Then try and match it up with items inside.

Also, when in doubt, just go slow and check your wing mirrors frequently, you should be able to see down the line of your car clearly in them.

This would've been some useful shit when I was learning to drive. Practice does it too yeah but I got pretty close to scraping my car a few times when I did it the old-fashioned way, visual refferences would've been appreciated
- Don't be such an ass, Sam

JamSessionFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #19
Phazon
Human

"My drive trainer taught me to focus on the space I wanted to go, not where I didn't. When you are looking at the road or the space or whatever it may be, you will probably naturally steer that way. As soon as you focus on the lines or the wall etc, you are more likely to veer and possibly hit something on the side."

That's actually how I learned. After a while you get used to it. I was taught to not worry
about the cars beside you for now. As long as your driver/seat was aligned close to the middle of the road, I shouldn't have to worry about hitting cars that are parked on my right.
Phazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #20
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
You guys have to pay thousands to get your license? That blows

I think my permit cost $10

If you succeed in one go your lessons + license cost 1750-2500. But most people don't succeed in one go cause we have more difficult exams than 'mericans.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: