Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
mikeYekim
Curses & Cranberries!!

Beginner at recording/computer stuffs.

I want to dive in to the world of home recording, and I have a few questions (although from reading the sticky I can almost tell what you guys are gonna say)

I'm torn about which audio interface to buy, it's either the scarlett 2i4, the roland duo capture ex, or the line 6 pod ux2.

The roland and focusrite are superior quality to the line 6, but they don't come with amp software like Pod Farm. If I go this route I'll be looking at basically getting Pod Farm, Guitar Rig Pro or Revalver, does anyone have an opinion on these? If I go the line 6 route I'll just purchase the metal expansion after downloading Pod Farm.

As a hobbyist who really just wants to have fun and blow off some steam by writing songs, which of these would you suggest?

I'm a super noob when it comes to computers and programs and all that, so essentially "user friendly" is very important to me haha

The Legion
mikeYekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
Spambot_2
Name's Luca

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeYekim
The roland and focusrite are superior quality to the line 6, but they don't come with amp software like Pod Farm.
The 2i4 doesn't sound much good, so don't get it for the sake of quality.
The roland on the other hand does sound better than the other two.

Thing is, you're tracking direct guitar, so unless you're playing stuff that needs to be reeeally clean, like, say, prog stuff with lotsa complicated distorted chords where you wanna hear the sound of every note, you might as well go for an unbranded guitar link.
Quote:
If I go this route I'll be looking at basically getting Pod Farm, Guitar Rig Pro or Revalver, does anyone have an opinion on these?
I've never tried revalver 'cause I did never care much for it judging by the demos, though the 4th version seems nice so it might be worth a look.

Guitar rig sounds bad if you're distorting stuff more than a pinch, but it has lotsa funny and nice sounding effects and it's fairly easy to use, so that's what you wanna get if you wanna play shoegaze and ambient stuff and you don't know shit about the effects you actually need.

POD farm I couldn't manage to play for more than 15 minutes without it crashing, and the sounds weren't good enough to be worth the hassle.
Quote:
As a hobbyist who really just wants to have fun and blow off some steam by writing songs, which of these would you suggest?
An unbranded guitar link and free amp sims, like LePou's stuff and Nick Crow's stuff.
If you're a pirate willing to spend some money to get good results, my personal favorites are the softube amp rooms and bx_rockrack.
Though if I wasn't a pirate didn't have money to spend to get good results I could get away with LePou's plugins just fine.

Did I mention you should read the amp sims sticky in this forum, too?
Quote:
I'm a super noob when it comes to computers and programs and all that, so essentially "user friendly" is very important to me haha
The only piece of digital equipment that I know of that sounds good even without knowing what the knobs do is a package worth around $1500 of reverbs.

I do am terribly sorry, but free stuff that sounds good AND it's very user friendly doesn't exist in this field, so drop that attitude, go download stuff, read instruction manuals and produce awesome sounds!
Old 07-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
guitarmaniac88
Procrastinate & Dominate!

Quote:
I want to dive in to the world of home recording, and I have a few questions (although from reading the sticky I can almost tell what you guys are gonna say)

I'm torn about which audio interface to buy, it's either the scarlett 2i4, the roland duo capture ex, or the line 6 pod ux2.

The roland and focusrite are superior quality to the line 6, but they don't come with amp software like Pod Farm. If I go this route I'll be looking at basically getting Pod Farm, Guitar Rig Pro or Revalver, does anyone have an opinion on these? If I go the line 6 route I'll just purchase the metal expansion after downloading Pod Farm.

I have a Scarlett 2i2, and it sounds decent plugging straight into it, but sounds much better if I mic up my amp with it (no surprise there, though).

I also use Sonar Home 7, which has served me fairly well once you get past a couple of small kinks.

As far as amp sims and stuff go, if it's beyond a Peavey Vypyr, especially if it's on a computer, I know little about it and couldn't offer much help.
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
guitarmaniac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
Spambot_2
Name's Luca

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmaniac88
I have a Scarlett 2i2, and it sounds decent plugging straight into it, but sounds much better if I mic up my amp with it (no surprise there, though).
It's a kind of a surprise to me - good amp sims are gonna sound way better than anything less than a good amp recorded with a good setup, so just out of curiosity, what amp sims are you using?
Old 07-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

I have a Scarlet 2i4 and it sounds so much better than the UX2. With the UX2, it comes bundled with the Pod Farm software, so you're getting an interface worth roughly 50, and I can't stand Pod Farm anyway, I'd say get the 2i4 and use Poulin plugins. The Poulin Lecto alone is better for metal than anything Line 6 have put out in my opinion.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
mikeYekim
Curses & Cranberries!!

I'm gonna follow your advice and go with the Scarlett. I listened to some clips of the Lecto and it sounded better than most of what I've heard out of amp plugins so far, and you can't beat free! As far as drum programs go, are there any free quality plugins? If I have to I'll shell out the cash for EZdrummer or something similar but damn they're expensive.

The Legion
mikeYekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:10 AM   #7
Spambot_2
Name's Luca

Quote:
As far as drum programs go, are there any free quality plugins?
Get whatever sampler you have, I think reaper has one, and search for free metal drum samples, or free drum samples, or drum samples or similar.

Rate This Thread: