Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
katalyzt13

iPad Recording

Not sure if this is the right category for this post.

I'm just curious about albums recorded completely on iPad or iPhone. I'm aware of "The Fall" by the Gorillaz, and the Ultramods album. Are there any more "professional" releases recorded exclusively on an iPad or iPhone, or does anyone here have their own music recorded on iPad and iPhone that they felt turned out good?

Also, if you recorded yourself, what apps and accessories did you use?
katalyzt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Recording on an iPad or iPhone isn't recommended. They lack the power to do serious stuff, generally. (Yes, I know the Gorillzas and the Ultramods did serious stuff.) The best use of them is for recording riffs/ideas/etc. for the purpose of remembering.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
Cajundaddy

ipad/iphone with Garageband is a very useful tool for recording multi-track demos, rehearsals, ideas, live shows. I don't recommend it for a pro release for sale to the public. I don't recommend any home recording DAW solution for pro release. If you want to record a top drawer CD/MP3/WAV to sell to the public, use a pro studio and an engineer with credentials. You will thank me later.

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV

Last edited by Cajundaddy : 09-12-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
diabolical

I have a friend that does everythng on an iPhone and it sounds good. He uses an interface that records stereo from source. He uses guitar models inside iPhone. It is almost there but not 100% IMO, but he knows what he's doing and he gets an early Death sound almost exactly to the T.

Another friend does basic demos on it and then some of the parts on there end up on his record. For example one of his iPad performances sounded better and less contrived than a studio performance so he kept it from his initial demo.

I kinda do a similar thing to iPad with a Boss Micro Br - it has the same rudimental qualities than an iPhone/iPad. Overall I think great for ideas on the fly, maybe the occasional tracking, wouldn't touch one for mixing or mastering...yet.

Last edited by diabolical : 09-12-2014 at 07:32 PM.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Cajundaddy

This guy did a pretty awesome quick demo with Garageband while playing all the parts. It's a good example of how to use the tool:

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
katalyzt13

thanks for the input, everybody.
katalyzt13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: