Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #241
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Latency doesn't affect sound quality, but you might notice some slight lag in monitoring at that level.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #242
atira

Quote:
Originally Posted by atira
1. Do I have to connect my guitar/bass from the front connectors (XLR)? If yes, does that mean I need a jack-xlr cable?

To answer my own question:
The front connectors on the Focusrite soundcards are special connectors that can receive both XLR and 6.3mm Jack cabels.
atira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #243
Matt Chavie
aspiring breakdancer...

So I recently made the mistake of purchasing Pro Tools 10 SE, and was using a Steinberg C12 which had worked well previously in Garage Band, but appears to not get along very well with PT10, so I have been looking at new interfaces that work better with PT. Am I limited to just M-box esque interfaces or are there third party interfaces that are more cost effective/work well with PT? I'd like to buy one of the Focusrite interfaces if they are compatible but don't want to have to mess with drivers every day and reinstall Pro Tools every time that I want to use it.

I am willing to spend $400, would much prefer <$200. I will go used and I'd prefer to not pay for included software because I won't be using it. If any of these points help.
Matt Chavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #244
DickinsonSound
Recording Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chavie
So I recently made the mistake of purchasing Pro Tools 10 SE, and was using a Steinberg C12 which had worked well previously in Garage Band, but appears to not get along very well with PT10, so I have been looking at new interfaces that work better with PT. Am I limited to just M-box esque interfaces or are there third party interfaces that are more cost effective/work well with PT? I'd like to buy one of the Focusrite interfaces if they are compatible but don't want to have to mess with drivers every day and reinstall Pro Tools every time that I want to use it.

I am willing to spend $400, would much prefer <$200. I will go used and I'd prefer to not pay for included software because I won't be using it. If any of these points help.

PT 10 is non-hardware dependent so will work with most (always careful with this - as you have found out it stability is always a factor) interfaces on the market. Brands to have a look at are Presonus, Alesis and Mackie. All have average pre-amps, nothing that will blow you away but will do the job. I had a little presonus firebox that was bulletproof and went out on the road with me for a long time.

Keep working with PT though - it is great practice for when you get into the bigger studios.

JD

Last edited by DickinsonSound : 02-15-2013 at 09:53 AM.
DickinsonSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #245
jurnag12

I've recently gotten really into singing, and I'm looking for a relatively cheap set-up to be able to record some vocal tracks. What kind of Mic and interface (or input, whatever the correct word is) would you recommend for that? Budget is around 100-200 Euros.
jurnag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #246
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

What sort of quality are you after? You'll be pushed to get something that sounds good at 200 Euros

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #247
jurnag12

It doesn't really have to be very good. As long as everything can be decently understood and it doesn't quite sound like I'm yelling through a headphone mice, I'm happy with anything.

I mostly just want t use it to record some covers and such to see if it's actually worth investing more into it, or if I'm vastly overestimating my own vocal capabilities.

Last edited by jurnag12 : 02-20-2013 at 08:05 PM.
jurnag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #248
Axeman Eugene

Hey guys,

So me and a friend have this progressive rock project, and we wanted to record a few tracks, and so I went ahead and bought an Alesis GuitarLink Plus today, which came with Guitar Pro 4 LE.

Only problem is I can't seem to get it to work properly, I can't get the sound of my bass to come out of my speakers, and when I am actually able to hear my bass, it's incredibly noise and distorted, and I'm assuming the same will happen with his guitar, so we can't really do anything with it... My laptop is a bit old and so I'm betting the soundcard is that good, that must be the problem, I think.

So we're thinking of alternatives, but we're just teenagers and we can't spend that much, but we really want to be able to lay down some tracks. What would you guys recommend? I was thinking about the Peavey Xport, but I'm a bit afraid that if my laptop can't run Guitar Rig properly, that it won't be able to run the Xport properly too...

We don't want anything top-notch; we just want to be able to record with some decent quality. Anyways, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Axeman Eugene : 02-23-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Axeman Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #249
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Sound should come from the interface, not your speakers.

Quote:
Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #250
Axeman Eugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Sound should come from the interface, not your speakers.

Then how can I get this to work? Am I going to need to buy a new audio interface?
Axeman Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #251
Bastyn99
Ustered Regiser

Hey guys, I need some advice, and I thought id post here to see if I can get some answers before making a new thread.

Im selling my amp because I moved to a very loud appartment so I need a computer interface and digital workstation (or whatever you call it, you know what Im talking about) instead. Right now, the only interface I have, is the Rocksmith USB cable, which just does not work well. And I currently dont have any software. I've tried a trial of Guitar Rig 5 along with Reaper, and I think its pretty neat.
So what I need is, an interface to connect my guitar to my computer. I don't need anything very fancy or extremely high end. I've heard people talking about some Focusrite products, and Ive seen people using the Apogee One. I also considered the Guitar Rig Kontrol pedal board, in case I decide to get Guitar Rig 5, don't know if the Kontrol board is any good though.
And then I ofcourse need some modelling software, something like Guitar Rig that has Amps, Cabs and Effects build in, unless there is another alternative thats as easy to use.

So yeah, I need some recommendations for an interface and software for playing and recording guitar, just for funsies, on my computer. Already have a pretty decent sound card and headphones.

Thank you.
Bastyn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #252
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Did you read the first page of this thread?

Quote:
Old 02-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #253
Bastyn99
Ustered Regiser

yes, and Im pretty confused by it to be honest.

But as I said, I also need some software. If this isnt the thread to ask about that, fair enough. And the Guitar Rig Kontrol board isnt mentioned in the first post, Id like to know about that one.

Last edited by Bastyn99 : 02-27-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #254
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Whats to be confused about? It tells you the best interface and recommends the most appropriate software. Do you have any specific confusions beyond what equipment & software you need?

For your effects & amp simulations you should read the VSTs sticky.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #255
Bastyn99
Ustered Regiser

Okey maybe confused was a wrong word.
But no oppinions on the Guitar Rig Kontrol board ? I'm attracted by the footswitches and pedal on it, but if the hardware is sub-par compared to other products in the same price range, I guess ill go with something else.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #256
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastyn99
Okey maybe confused was a wrong word.
But no oppinions on the Guitar Rig Kontrol board ? I'm attracted by the footswitches and pedal on it, but if the hardware is sub-par compared to other products in the same price range, I guess ill go with something else.

That's because none of us have used it. The interfaces we have on there are ones we've all had experiences with.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #257
Bastyn99
Ustered Regiser

I see, another question then.
If I want to use Guitar Rig 5 Pro, but not the Rig Kontrol as my interface, but a Scarlett 2i4 instead, can I buy pedals/footswitches seperately and connect to the Scarlett interface aswell as my Guitar to control the effects in Guitar Rig ?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #258
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Why do you want the foot switches?

Quote:
Old 02-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #259
Bastyn99
Ustered Regiser

Well its more pedals, for Wah effects and such.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #260
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Just had a quick read up on the Guitar Rig Kontrol board.

On the surface, it looks quite impressive. However, as an interface there's a definite lack on mic inputs so you'd only ever be able to record guitars or midi instruments. It also doesn't mention if you can use it with other software (unless I missed something), the page I looked at simply spoke about how great it's own software was.

Without digging any deeper than that, it looks like it has potential, but I'd be reluctant to recommend it. However, there seems to be a fairly active forum dedicated to it on Native Instrument's website:
http://www.native-instruments.com/f...isplay.php?f=75
If you decide the Kontrol board definitely hits your requirements, read up on a load of the general threads in there to see what issues people are finding with it and how it reacts to using other software.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: