Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #81
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison

Hopefully I'm asking in the right place. Does anyone have any experience with the Avid Recording Mbox? What would you say about it as a beginner tool? Quality? Worth what you pay for?
http://www.amazon.com/Avid-Technolo...1&keywords=mbox

(I'm really looking to get into recording demo tracks and material for Calling All Pit Musician competitions, but I have absolutely no recording experience whatsoever. In the next couple of months I'll take a class at a local recording studio but I'd like to start now.)

We're all alright!
Mathedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #82
chaosmoon

The mbox is alright. You can get better for the money though. I'd spend a little more money on the Saffire 6 or Scarlett 2i2.

Also, that link is not an Mbox. It's an M-audio Fast Track, which pretty much sucks.
chaosmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #83
YYMMalmsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
THIS THREAD WILL BE UPDATED UNTIL DEEMED CONCISE.

ALSO IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT BUYING INTERFACES THAT ISN'T ANSWERED IN THIS POST, PLEASE POST A REPLY TO THIS THREAD WITH YOUR QUESTION.

Okay there has been a trend as of late of people asking about Guitar Interfaces, which is fine, Guitar Interfaces are probably one of the best ways of recording at home, sadly however, we in the Recording Forum are a strange race of lazy and cranky individuals who would rather spend time reading SoundonSound than actually being helpful, so to combat such problems I give you:

Recording Interfaces - A Buyers Guide
Limited by experience and bias

There is an important question to keep in mind whilst reading this thread

"What are you going to be recording and what is your budget?"

If you plan to mic up a drum kit for example there's little use buying a two input interface, just as an FYI this thread wont include microphones, but please, before you post a thread asking about what mic is best, please make a google search, you'd be surprised how easy these things are to find. The second part is pretty obvious, it's hard to spend money you don't have, but it can be worth saving, as with most music equipment you get what you pay for.

THINGS TO AVOID

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...qtVj1B7TmwuuzmQ

This, you don't want this. You may think you want this, other people may tell you that you want this, but they are wrong. You do not want this, this is bad, this makes kittens cry and melts ice cream, I have it on good authority that Hitler used a Jack to Mic input converter to record his guitar.

Some people may claim to get decent results with this, and they may do, but it's really not worth the trouble. You'll have latency issues, noise issues, terrible quality, nothing good will come of it, there have even been reports of this method breaking the mic port on your PC, it simply wasn't designed for it. IF YOU POST ON THIS FORUM ASKING FOR HELP WITH A MIX WHILST USING THIS METHOD YOU WILL NOT GET A RESPONSE. This is not to be cruel or heartless, there is just genuinely nothing we can do in order to make this method sound good. Normally people only get this to work through hard work and luck, neither of which we can teach you.

What's it for?
- Throwing at people you don't like
- Accidentally blowing the mic port on your PC

What's it not for?
- Anything else

Why exactly would this http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...qtVj1B7TmwuuzmQ blow my mic input? I do not havy another way of recording... I can wait and buy a decent interface but will it really destroy my mic input or wut?
YYMMalmsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #84
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

It might, it might not. Depends on your mic port. And it's normally because that port is for taking crappy VOIP mics and not for taking a direct signal from a proper mic or a guitar.

Some people have it work "fine" where as some fuq up their computer doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #85
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Just wait and buy a real interface or multitracker.

Even if you find a way of getting the mic input to work without breaking your PC, you will be creating the worst possible quality of recording that nobody will want to listen to.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #86
YYMMalmsteen

Quote:
It might, it might not. Depends on your mic port. And it's normally because that port is for taking crappy VOIP mics and not for taking a direct signal from a proper mic or a guitar.

Some people have it work "fine" where as some fuq up their computer doing it.

so if I used
Behringer - GUITAR LINK UCG102

would I be able to record my guitar playing with MY amp onto my computer? I don't want my guitar to sound through some DAW's EQ. So could I connect my guitar to my amp, and get whatever sounds I make onto the DAW
? Thx
Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #87
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Not with a Guitar Link.

If you wanted to use your amp you'd need a Interface with a XLR in for the microphone and a microphone to mic the amp.

If you're plugging directly into the interface you're normally stuck with using Amp Sim VST's unless you do some trickery with a dummy load box, which I've done in the past with varying results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #88
YYMMalmsteen

Quote:
Not with a Guitar Link.

If you wanted to use your amp you'd need a Interface with a XLR in for the microphone and a microphone to mic the amp.

If you're plugging directly into the interface you're normally stuck with using Amp Sim VST's unless you do some trickery with a dummy load box, which I've done in the past with varying results.

I see... so interfaces with XLR are going to be more expensive than Guitar Links for example... and I'd have to get a mic too
I'll have to keep saving up!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #89
Perverockstar69

So, best 8 ch. interface under a grand? Taking a look at Steinberger MR816 CSX and Focusrite Liquid Saffire (or Saffire Pro 40). Any other recommendations?

MOTU's 896 MkIII?

We will be using Logic, if that helps.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)

Last edited by Perverockstar69 : 10-11-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #90
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

I'll post this again here, just for the record, for anyone else researching this thread.

My goal about two years ago was to find "the best 8 channel (or more) interface for under a grand."

After a TON of research, I bought the Steinberg MR816X. These have since been replaced by the UR824, which also meant a move from Firewire to USB2.

The preamps are the same ones that Yamaha uses in their $40 000 mixers. They're outstanding. Very, very clear, and provide enough gain for some of the more demanding mics. (like an SM7b)

I love it.

Sound on Sound review:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov...ergmr816csx.htm

RecordingReview Review:
http://forum.recordingreview.com/co...-csx-review-67/

Forum discussion:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-...ing-studio.html

For me, the difference between it and what I had before (a Delta 1010 being fed by a Behringer UB2442FX-PRO mixer) is that before I *really* needed to work a good mix. Now, stuff gets recorded so well that stuff practically mixes itself.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.

Last edited by axemanchris : 10-11-2012 at 07:30 AM.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #91
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Well, I've got a Saffire Pro 40 showing up tomorrow so I'll let you know how that is, a lot of people love the Saffire line and its considered one of the best budget interfaces you can get. Plus, if you check eBay, you can get them new for $370, used for less.

I'm personally looking into the MOTU 896 for when I get some extra cash. MOTU has solid pres and great AD conversion & records in 192khz. Also, the new ones are Hybrid USB/Firewire which is a huge plus since most new Windows laptops don't have Firewire.

The Liquid Saffires are pretty solid as well. The Preamp Emulation on it is pretty spot on from what I read though I wish they would have stretched them across all 8 pres.

I know Chris wrote a pretty solid writeup on the Steinberg but I really have the feeling that to get the most out of it, you'd also need to use Cubase. I wouldn't doubt its good, I just personally hate Cubase so I'm not going near it.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #92
Perverockstar69

But maybe without using Cubase it'll still be a good option, don't you think? Any thoughts?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Old 10-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #93
chaosmoon

I've got the Pro 40 and I love it. The pres sound great, and all of the routing options are great for separate mixes and such. Very versatile.
chaosmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #94
MatrixClaw
UG God

I looked into getting an MR816X for quite a while and while I have no doubt the pres and A/D conversion are better than the Focusrite (though, I wouldn't say it's as huge as people make it out to be), driver issues and D/A conversion were a concern to me, and in the end, I decided that it wouldn't have been a significant enough upgrade over my Saffire. As someone who doesn't own a decent interface already, though - It might be worth going with. I just wouldn't have seen a large enough increase in sound quality to really justify spending more

I actually really looked into the new UR series, as they have all the DSP effects the MR816CSX has, at a cheaper price (a REALLY cheap price when I was looking at them), but there were so many horror stories on the drivers that there was no way I was going to sacrifice stability for a slight increase in quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #95
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

I am looking to get an mr816x fairly soon. Need to upgrade from my temporarily repalcment that became my primary soundcard (a ux2)
FireHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #96
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Mine is the firewire one, and I think what happens is that a lot of people have difficulties that they attribute to drivers, but are actually due to their firewire card.

They are *really* picky about wanting firewire cards with Texas Instruments chipsets.

It took me some time to get mine up and going how I wanted it. Another issue is the "not as well documented as it should be" utility on the install disc (found under "extras" or something as I recall) that adjusts the buffer size of the firewire card. This is an additional setting to where you would otherwise additionally set your buffer size and latency. Mine was crackling and dropping out all over the place until I ran that utility and changed the default buffer size from small to medium.

This is probably not as big an issue with USB.

The Cubase integration, as a Cubase user, was really the icing on the cake for me (along with the included Yamaha Rev-X reverb... reverbs can be real processor hogs, so it takes some of the load off your computer and gives you a nice quality reverb). You certainly don't need to use Cubase, though, to have a set of eight really solid pres and really high quality conversion.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.

Last edited by axemanchris : 10-11-2012 at 10:37 PM.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #97
Perverockstar69

What about the Motu 896?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #98
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Solid Pres, some of the best AD conversion in its price range, great all around unit and very expandable. Like I said, I'm eventually buying one myself, I just had a great deal on a Saffire Pro 40 come my way.

There have been a few issues with windows drivers for the 896 but since you guys are using Logic, you're using a Mac so you're set.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #99
Apc3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawk
EDIT: for Joshua: FireWire and USB are just types of connections at higher inputs FireWire has more bandwidth and will allow less latency. If you are tracking less than or equal to 4 (I have heard 6 on nice systems) inputs at a time it really doesn't matter which you have.

That said the Saffire 6 is best in that price range.

Actually, the REAL difference is that USB uses your processor and Firewire uses its chipset to allow the amount of bandwidth.

BTW, on a very modest i3 laptop, I can record 8 tracks at a time all day long with pretty heavy effects and that's using USB and haven't ran into any issues over the last few years.
Apc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #100
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

I'm curious, what interface are you using, what sample rate & define "Heavy Effects". Like I said, I've heard mixed things with USB once you hit 4+ simultaneous inputs recording at once. Also, with Effects, things like EQ & Compression aren't going to be as heavy of hitters on performance as Reverbs & Modulations effects.

Rate This Thread: