Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
andrerist
schecterguy

pod farm vs. amplitube

so i'm looking at getting started with recording some of my stuff. i've been doing some thinking and internet searching and i think that i want to go the route of usb interface/amp modeling software. problem is, i dont kno wats good or bad or where to even begin.

at the moment i'm between this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-...571-i1427098.gc

or

amplitube 3 plus some sort of audio interface (pls reccomend one for me)
andrerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
andrerist
schecterguy

^also, i'm off to college next year so i will use it for just jamming alot of the time as well.

i could use a reccomendation for some headphones as well. i have bose triports, bose QC2's, bose triport IE, skullcandy fmj's, and skullcandy lowriders but if there is something out there thats better for this stuff, go for it

and possibily some monitors for home use? i'd like to keep things minimall expensive at the moment and pick things up as i have the money
Old 06-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Carl6661
UG Freak

Pod Farm gets a lot of bad criticism just because it's a Line 6 product. Hating Line 6 is a bit of a 'bandwagon' thing. While they have their bad products (like all companies do), I will say that I use Pod Farm for a lot of different stuff, and it's perfectly fine.

Does it sound like a two or three thousand pound tube amp and cab being cranked in a fantastic sounding live room? No. Neither have Line 6 ever claimed that it does.

Does it serve it's purpose? Yes, and it does so very well.

I don't like Avenged Sevenfold anymore. I was 14 when I joined & the 6661 in the username seemed a great idea at the time. Sigh.
Carl6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I have a Pod UX1 and it comes with Pod Farm.

Hard to beat for $100-$150 range new.

I like the Pod Farm interface too.

PS: no vs threads
Old 06-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
andrerist
schecterguy

i'm most concerned with sound quality with the amp modeling. i'd rather spend a little bit more money for the higher quality product that i won't get bored of with "half-ass" tones.

from what i've heard, amplitube is the best of the best when it comes to this stuff (next to dropping a couple grand on an axe-fx...) i do kno that my guitar teacher plays live with amplitube now and again so that is what is having mean lean more toward amplitube...

so any reccomendations on usb interfaces?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Stickymongoose

I've used Line6 PodFarm and GearBox for several years, now. I can say that it's about the most intuitive and easy to use amp simulation I've tried. It is a little frustrating that Line6 wants you to pay for so many of the different amp and effect models. Just looking through the presets, probably 70% or more require something that isn't in the basic package. Still, it's very easy to make your own sounds, even if your effect choices are limited. I've also tried demos for Amplitude and Native-Instruments' Guitar Rig, which was actually my favorite of the three. It's a little pricier, and not quite as easy to tweak around with, but Guitar Rig consistently sounds very convincing. You should spend some time with the demos for each program first, as they're all good products, but one might suit your specific needs better than the others.
Stickymongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrerist
i'm most concerned with sound quality with the amp modeling. i'd rather spend a little bit more money for the higher quality product that i won't get bored of with "half-ass" tones.

from what i've heard, amplitube is the best of the best when it comes to this stuff (next to dropping a couple grand on an axe-fx...) i do kno that my guitar teacher plays live with amplitube now and again so that is what is having mean lean more toward amplitube...

so any reccomendations on usb interfaces?

If you're in college, look at the Tascam US-100. Straight to the point. Or the StealthPedal if you're going Amplitube.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
Carl6661
UG Freak

The modelling is great. Like I said, it does not sound anything like a high quality, cranked tube amp', but it's certainly good enough for recording purposes, especially if you use EQ's to shape the sound more than just the amp model can.

The feature Pod Farm needs most, is something to use external impulses within the plug-in. You can use other IR's with it, but not in the software itself. You have to record the track and then use an impulse loader. That's not the end of the world though.

I don't like Avenged Sevenfold anymore. I was 14 when I joined & the 6661 in the username seemed a great idea at the time. Sigh.

Last edited by Carl6661 : 06-04-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Carl6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

I used to use Porfarm but I just use free amp sim vsts like LePou in Ableton now days and the tone is great.

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: