Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
thundermonty

Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue vs. Vox AC30c2 vs. Peavey Classic 30 for Pink Floyd

Hello. I am trying to get a classic pink floyd tone but dont want to spend over 1,000$. I was looking at the vox AC30c2 but i dont think it has the best tone for what im wanting to do. and its at the top of my price range. i'd rather spend 800$. I need an amp with lots of clean headroom. Ive always heard the peavey classic 30 is good. and out of the fender amps ive looked at for under 1,000$ the Blues Deluxe Reissue seems like the best for my needs. i will need my amp to deliver great rock tones because i play in my high school's rock band. but when im at home practicing i want to just play some floyd. Loudness is not an issue for i live in the country. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I know for a fact that the Classic 30 is a good base for PF cleans. You just need to throw a ton of pedals on top for everything else.

You don't want a Fender. You need a british sound, Fender is blatantly American.

Not sure how the Vox would fare. Never heard one used for this application.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #3
thundermonty

David has been seen using many fenders... dont know what you're talking about. I have been looking at the Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Deluxe Reverb. Same price as an AC30 but a whole lot cleaner...
Old 06-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Brainpolice2
UG Board King

It's true that Gilmour would sometimes use a few Fender twins.
Brainpolice2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
Offworld92
One among the fence.

He may have used them, but they are not indicative of his tone, so it's kind of pointless to get something based on the fact that he did use them for x period of time.

When people think of Gilmour tone, they immediately think of Hiwatt. That's essentially a Plexi type amp. Q Fender is a pretty far cry from that.

But, all that said, if you've played the Fender, and it works for you, then by all means go for it. I just think it's a very poor choice, *especially* since you want to play rock too. That whole genre (assuming you're talking about classic/hard rock) is defined by essentially Plexi tones.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
jpatan
UG's only REAL Llama

So much of the Gilmour sound comes from pedals and effects, you could really get away with nearly any amp that has a good clean channel.... and $1000 worth of pedals

Will it sound 100% like him? No. But most people could have his exact rig, and still not sound like him. Close enough is... well, close enough.

There was another thread just like this a few days ago. Yes, Hiwatt is your best choice. That's what you want for the base of a classic Gilmour tone.

Look at www.gilmourish.com

Lots of good info in there.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
jpatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
thundermonty

david always used amps that have a lot of clean headroom. whether it be a fender twin reverb or a hiwatt. he got almost all of his sounds from his pedals and other gear. all im looking for is a good base amp with great cleans to be able to add a few fuzz pedals to, a delay, a flanger, etc.

I guess my question should be: "What amp will give me the best cleans for 1,000$?"
Old 06-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
anguskilminster

If Gilmore used Fender Twins, How about a used Fender Twin??
Old 06-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
thehikingdude

Of the 3 amps you mentioned, I've owned two of them, I'd recommend the Classic 30. Any amp you get is going to need some pedals.
thehikingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
thundermonty

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguskilminster
If Gilmore used Fender Twins, How about a used Fender Twin??

call me crazy but i dont buy used. i bought my jet city used and its been a nightmare ever since.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
sg4ever
clashof the coconuts

Hmmm, I'm sure that well established amplifiers of respectable build and quality (good Fender, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Vox, etc.) should be safer to buy used more so than say, a Bugera or Jet City? Nevertheless, I'm sure that a Peavey Classic 30 should suffice. Just make sure you have the proper pedals in place. Pink Floyd without pedals isn't happening.
Vox AC15C1
various pedals
sg4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: